Downclocking/ calming down a Pundit-R

Old August 24th 09, 08:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Daniel Meszaros

Default Downclocking/ calming down a Pundit-R

Hi there,

I have got some rather old Pundit-R along with an Intel Northwood
Celeron CPU (2 Ghz). I was quite happy with it when it was in the
storeroom but now as I moved it to my workroom its noise is starting to
annoy me.

I hope that I am right here as I expect overclockers to know best about
CPU, FSB and processor fan modifications. :-)

Does anyone of you own a similar machine or do you know some reliable
source of information on how to calm down this machine?

The Pundit-R is mainly used as some storage and test web server and
should be kept running all day long.

I thought about downclocking and replacing the processor fan with some
less noisy one or to take it away completely if possible. As far as I
know there were no passively-cooled CPUs available for the 478 socket,
right?

Any suggestions?

CU,
Mészi.
Old August 30th 09, 03:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

DMA wrote:

Daniel Meszaros wrote:

[...]

You can't completely get away from having a fan of the processor, at least
not to my knowledge. The last passively cooled processor I saw was Pentium
II. But you can run the fans through a thermal controller panel, such as
XION (an I'm sure there are quite a few more on the market). The one I
have takes one 5.25 inch space and has three thermopairs that you
tape-glue to your processor's radiator, HDD and video. Then you run fans
for said devices through the corresponding port on the controller.

In some cases I've found that the PSU fan was the worst offender and
changing the PSU to a newer model helped because of larger and slower
rotating fan as well as better efficiency and less heat to begin with.
Couple times I was able to find a 'silent' (about half the noise level)
fan of the same size as the original. eBay is brimming with those. Just be
careful - a 'silent' fan is guaranteed to move only 1/2 to 1/3rd of the
air the original did so you may overheat the part you are cooling.

You can get rid of the fan, but it costs a lot of money.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/...n500/epcn5.jpg

The TNN 500AF uses heatpipes, to transfer heat from the processor and
other things, into heatsinks on the side of the computer case.

You can see in the picture here, the sides of the case are large
aluminum heatsinks with fins for convection cooling.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/files/...n500/epcn1.jpg

In that review article, they're cooling an "Intel 630 3GHz EMT64 2MB cache LGA775".
The CPU temperature is 46C while running CPUBurn.

The TDP on that processor is 84W.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SL8Q7

Paul