Overclocking Q6700 help

Old July 14th 09, 09:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
master Lee

Default Overclocking Q6700 help

Hello All
I have a Supermicro C2SBX X38 motherboard and a Q6700 and arctic coooler
freezer 7 pro.
Has anyone here overclocked the Q6700 using the C2sbx what setting did you
use?

Thank you.

Old July 14th 09, 05:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

master Lee wrote:
Hello All
I have a Supermicro C2SBX X38 motherboard and a Q6700 and arctic coooler
freezer 7 pro.
Has anyone here overclocked the Q6700 using the C2sbx what setting did you
use?

Thank you.

The BIOS has nothing of value in it. The board doesn't
appear to be intended for overclocking.

http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/mo...8/MNL-0943.pdf

There are a couple potential ways to overclock

1) BSEL and Vcore boost mods. These would be hardware mods.
BSEL is a set of contacts on the bottom of the processor.
It allows the processor, to tell the clock generator, what
speed to use. Your processor is FSB1066 (266MHz). By
changing the BSEL signals (fooling the clock generator),
you could jump to FSB1333 (333MHz). Your core speed becomes
(1333/1066) * 2.66GHz = 3.33GHz core speed.

Depending on how large a jump is involved, a processor may
need more Vcore. On my motherboard, I did a BSEL mod, but
I also boosted my Vcore. I have a resistor on the board, that
sets the Vcore boost. I experimented with an extra 0.1V over
the normal Vcore value.

These are hardware intensive techniques. I had to take the
motherboard out of the case a couple times, used my soldering
iron and so on. This is OK if you're an engineer or technologist,
who has done something like this before. Or if you've been
overclocking for a lot of years, and can solder OK.

2) Overclocking in Windows. This depends on a utility and its
ability to operate the clock generator chip. Only a limited
number of clock generator chip types are supported. The
clockgen program from cpuid.com used to be the tool to use,
but I think this one is still being updated. You have to look on
the motherboard, spot the clockgen chip, and read the part
number from the top (not always easy to do).

http://www13.plala.or.jp/setfsb/

If you're serious about overclocking, get another motherboard :-)
You'll soon grow tired of the above style of hacking. A real
enthusiast motherboard, provides all the tools you need in
the BIOS screens. By overclocking via the BIOS, the benefits
can be seen no matter what OS you use.

Good luck,
Paul