power jack problems with Compaq Laptop Presario 1200

Old April 24th 05, 10:30 PM
globetravel

Default power jack problems with Compaq Laptop Presario 1200

Hello,

I have a 1200 Presario which I bought in 2001. It was running fine up
until a few months ago. Then the computer would shut off if the power
jack cord which went into the computer moved slightly (or if I moved
the computer on the desk). I could here slight clicking/sparkling
noise come from the area where the two met.

I opened up the computer and had computer friend resoder the jack.
Afterwards, the problem was fixed. It has been 2 weeks since then.
Now this morning I put the plug back into the computer and the power
light on the laptop is not even coming on nor is the computer turning
on. I don't think I shook the plug and it was not rough used since the
repair.

What should I do? Should I try getting it even more resodered?

I don't want to get rid of the computer b/c I've already put about
$30-40 already into it for other small repairs.

Old April 25th 05, 02:48 AM
JANA

It can be that the power supply has failed. If you have a DVM, you can read
its output, to see if it is working. If it is not the supply, then it can be
something on the mother board, where the power enters to it. You will have
to work from there. The mother board can be difficult to troubleshoot.
Normally they are not serviced at the component level, unless the problem is
simple to service.

--

JANA
_____

news:afca5$426c0ffd$455da0d2$26231@allthenewsgroup s.com...

Old April 25th 05, 10:25 AM
kony

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:30:37 +0000,
lid (globetravel)
wrote:

Hello,

I have a 1200 Presario which I bought in 2001. It was running fine up
until a few months ago. Then the computer would shut off if the power
jack cord which went into the computer moved slightly (or if I moved
the computer on the desk).

Sounds like the cord is just loose or the contacts are
corroded. Unplug it and inspect the metal contacts on the
power supply. If they are corroded badly, an emry board or
similar can clean that off. If it's only light corrosion
some metal polish on a cotton swab may suffice.

If it's the cord, just buy another one... they're about $2
online.

I could here slight clicking/sparkling
noise come from the area where the two met.

That is to be expected and not a sign of a problem per se.
When power is reconnected there is a sudden surge to charge
up capacitors in the supply. On a perfectly working power
supply and cord you would have the same click/spark when
first plugging it in, unless it had an internal circuit to
_more_ aggressively limit this surge- most don't and work
fine regardless.

I opened up the computer and had computer friend resoder the jack.
Afterwards, the problem was fixed. It has been 2 weeks since then.
Now this morning I put the plug back into the computer and the power
light on the laptop is not even coming on nor is the computer turning
on. I don't think I shook the plug and it was not rough used since the
repair.

It would be useful to clearly mention, initially, that this
is a laptop.

What should I do? Should I try getting it even more resodered?

You'd have to have someone take another look at it. Could
be the "computer friend" didn't solder it very well. Could
be you've stressed it again. Could be the traces on the
circuit board are lifted and broken, so that a slightly more
elaborate repair is needed. Some technicians you could take
it to might tell you the motherboard or power board needs
replaced... which that is possible, it's also as possible
they simply haven't the experience (or the mindset?) to
repair it, or in worst cases they want to repair it and keep
it for themselves (for use or sale) on your dime.

Bottom line is that you need someone skilled in circuit
board repairs to take a look at it. Maybe your "friend" can
do it, but be cautious beccause if they do it poorly it
could be worse and/or harder for someone else to later fix
it properly.... or as I mentioed already it could be that
you do need a new circuit board but given the right
technique these types of repairs are often possible without
any new components, just some jumper leads or solder and/or
epoxy to fortify it if the leads are stressed or the board
is cracked... depends a bit on if the power board is
separate from the rest too.

In short, it's quite possibly repairable but there are too
many variables to easily tell you one way or the other,
someone good at repairs should take a look at it.

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 1 April 1st 05 04:05 PM
Presario 7360 - 'Friends don't let friends buy Compaq' - PRMartin 19Jul2001 unclpaul Compaq Computers 0 December 20th 04 08:40 PM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM
Compaq Presario 700 laptop overheating (Problem Solved?) John Edward Scott Compaq Computers 15 July 23rd 03 06:31 AM
Need power supply pinouts for Compaq Presario 5200 Ben Compaq Computers 0 July 14th 03 05:43 PM