Deskpro EN SFF graphic problem

Old April 1st 05, 05:14 PM
Ginchy

Default Deskpro EN SFF graphic problem

I bought a deskpro P3 733mhz with 16mb onboard agp graphics 128mb ram.

I am running xp pro on it but the graphics stutter. Thinking that the
onboard vga was not up to the job I installed a TNT2 M64 16mb PCI card but
get the same thing. If you run dxdiag it shows the bouncing square
stuttering every few seconds.

Anyone know of a fix for this? I checked the hard drive and its running in
dma mode 5 so no problem there!

The people I bought it from have recreated this fault on their remaining
machines so its not my own machine that is faulty. They cant seem to find an
answer either but my own guess is that the chipset drivers need something?

Old April 2nd 05, 01:07 AM
HH

128MB of RAM is insufficient for XP. add at least 256MB more and the video
pereformance will improve.
HH

Old April 2nd 05, 06:37 AM
Ben Myers

128MB is inadequate for XP, but then the performance is worsened by a slower
733MHz processor. I have attempted to use XP on new 2+GHz P4 systems with only
the original factory-installed(!) 128MB, and the performance stinks. I can't
imagine how it could even be useful with a 733 and 128MB... Ben Myers

Old April 3rd 05, 12:10 AM
Ginchy

Guys I know what you are saying in that for general use 128mb isnt a lot but
I have built at least 6 machines all around p450 p500 p550 and P600 and ALL
of them run perfectly with 128mb ram.

In fact I was playing unreal on a p2 350 with a 16mb pci graphics card all
on xp pro and it ran perfectly!

I m talking about a stutter on the most BASIC of graphics like the dxdiag
test or the simplest of screensavers.

The company I got the machine from are getting the same problem with 256mb
of ram but they report that the other machines they have which are P3 533mhz
do not display the fault. (different mb?)

The board is supposed to be either the 810 or 815 chipset but the intel
grahics driver fails to install duue to some "software conflict" but there
is nothing in the machine except the bare xp

None of us can work it out!

Old April 3rd 05, 04:59 AM
Ben Myers

FWIW, I have installed Windows 2000 Pro on several of the DeskPro SSF computers
and not seen any problems with on-board graphics. I DO have one DeskPro SSF in
my warehouse with non-functioning on-board graphics. I now remember that the
newer systems have an on-board nVidia graphics chip, not Intel graphics. Try
installing the nVidia graphics drivers right off the nVidia web site. nVidia
chips are prone to overheating and burning out if not ventilated extremely well.
If you have the right drivers for the chip, the stutter effect may be due to a
failing chip.

The DeskPro SSF computers running at lower speeds do have a different chassis
and different motherboard. I can't recall exactly, but the chipset is probably
an Intel 810-series.

128MB may be OK for older versions of Windows, but to use XP on a machine with
only 128MB requires a lot more patience than I have... Ben

Old April 4th 05, 12:06 PM
Tom Scales

You seem to be confusing video memory and system memory, or just using them
interchangeably which is wrong.

128MB of video memory is plenty.
128MB of system memory is not.

Tom

Old April 4th 05, 10:19 PM
Ginchy

No I know what the difference is.

There is 16mb of video memory and 128mb of RAM in the system and that is
enough to run basic screensavers and games!

I have run UNREAL on a P2 450 with xp pro 16mb PCI and 128mb of ram NO
PROBLEM WHATSOEVER

. ..

Old April 5th 05, 12:00 PM
Tom Scales

Not for me with XP. You'll be SHOCKED at the difference in performance by
adding memory.

Tom
"Ginchy" wrote in message
No I know what the difference is.

There is 16mb of video memory and 128mb of RAM in the system and that is
enough to run basic screensavers and games!

I have run UNREAL on a P2 450 with xp pro 16mb PCI and 128mb of ram NO
PROBLEM WHATSOEVER

. ..

Old April 5th 05, 12:14 PM
HH

Methinks your definition of runs OK and ours are different. XP is D-O-G
S-L-O-W with 128MB of memory. Always has been. It isn't enough RAM despite
your claims.
HH

"Ginchy" wrote in message
No I know what the difference is.

There is 16mb of video memory and 128mb of RAM in the system and that is
enough to run basic screensavers and games!

I have run UNREAL on a P2 450 with xp pro 16mb PCI and 128mb of ram NO
PROBLEM WHATSOEVER

. ..