Multiport IDE cards, problems with Promise IDE ctrlr.

Old March 15th 05, 06:46 AM
_R

Default Multiport IDE cards, problems with Promise IDE ctrlr.

Anyone have recommendations for reliable IDE cards? I'm looking to
replace my Promise controllers due to annoying errors posting as
system events every hour. (Time sync error or whatever. It's a known
problem with Promise controllers)

Lately I've been getting the above error along with a second error
message re swapfile. I suspect that this is a controller problem due
to the fact it's accompanied by the Promise time sync error. The
drive flagged with the error is new, and has passed multiple scandisk
tests.

Anyway, I'd love to find something that can support more than two
IDE channels. Does anyone make a quad IDE card? If not, I'll
settle for recommendations on good dual cards.

Thanks

Old March 15th 05, 07:41 AM
Tod

_R wrote:
Anyone have recommendations for reliable IDE cards? I'm looking to
replace my Promise controllers due to annoying errors posting as
system events every hour. (Time sync error or whatever. It's a known
problem with Promise controllers)

Lately I've been getting the above error along with a second error
message re swapfile. I suspect that this is a controller problem due
to the fact it's accompanied by the Promise time sync error. The
drive flagged with the error is new, and has passed multiple scandisk
tests.

Anyway, I'd love to find something that can support more than two
IDE channels. Does anyone make a quad IDE card? If not, I'll
settle for recommendations on good dual cards.

Thanks

Silicon Image Ultra ATA/133 IDE Raid PCI Controller
$15.99 On Sale
http://www.softwareandstuff.com/CRD10155.html

Works fine in my computer

Old March 16th 05, 06:27 AM
_R

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:41:24 -0800, Tod
wrote:

Anyway, I'd love to find something that can support more than two
IDE channels. Does anyone make a quad IDE card? If not, I'll
settle for recommendations on good dual cards.

Silicon Image Ultra ATA/133 IDE Raid PCI Controller
$15.99 On Sale
http://www.softwareandstuff.com/CRD10155.html

Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't heard of Silicon Image, but
apparently their chipsets are used quite a bit. I'll look into it.

I also found out that Adaptec makes an ATA card--the 1233.
http://tinyurl.com/6qxah

Has anyone used it? Any problems?