hard drive chaos, recovery needed

Old July 21st 04, 11:16 AM
Justin Hinerman

Default hard drive chaos, recovery needed

Help please.
Just today my HP notebook gave me a blue screen, I restarted, and now
my hard drive is corrupt! I cannot boot up, I can't run recovery
console, chkdsk won't run when I try to boot. I tried running some
OnTrack easy recovery software, well it was like a diagnostic demo off
their site. Anyways, it failed all the tests it ran and won't even
recognize the partition. It just fails all the tests. I'm at a loss
for what to do now. Is may data recoverable? I'm still under warranty
so I know I can just get a new hard drive, but I really need my data
(obviously!) Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Old July 22nd 04, 10:50 PM
Michael Hawes

"Justin Hinerman" wrote in message
om...
Help please.
Just today my HP notebook gave me a blue screen, I restarted, and now
my hard drive is corrupt! I cannot boot up, I can't run recovery
console, chkdsk won't run when I try to boot. I tried running some
OnTrack easy recovery software, well it was like a diagnostic demo off
their site. Anyways, it failed all the tests it ran and won't even
recognize the partition. It just fails all the tests. I'm at a loss
for what to do now. Is may data recoverable? I'm still under warranty
so I know I can just get a new hard drive, but I really need my data
(obviously!) Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Have you tried recovery console from WinXP CD? Have you tried a repair from
the CD?
Mike.

Old July 26th 04, 08:07 PM
terry_b17

Justin ,
if you are unable to repair your xp install you might be able to
access the files and copy them using knoppix . it boots and runs from
the cd without using the hard disk . i have seen posts at hp's
pavilion forum reporting success using it .
good luck ,
terry

==============
Old July 26th 04, 08:14 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
terry_b17 wrote:
Justin ,
if you are unable to repair your xp install you might be able to
access the files and copy them using knoppix . it boots and runs from
the cd without using the hard disk . i have seen posts at hp's
pavilion forum reporting success using it .
good luck ,
terry

==============

Yup. I've burned my documents and mail folders onto a CDR from an XP
system that was unbootable with Knoppix. You need a decent amount of
memory since Knoppix is a RAMdisk (I hate that phrase) based.

Knoppix will also probably detect an ethernet card, if there
is one and you can copy files to another system, but that's
a little technical unless you know Linux really well.

You can hook the disk up as the secondary disk on another PC (same
operating system version or later) and get the files off that war.
--
Al Dykes
-----------
Old July 28th 04, 06:10 PM
Justin Hinerman

Yeah Mike, I've tried all that and more.
I'm now trying some software called Spinrite. Its going on 100 hours
with like 1000 hours left to go, but it appears to be fixing it. It
really is my last resort. Thanks.

Old July 28th 04, 11:20 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Justin Hinerman" wrote in message om...
Yeah Mike, I've tried all that and more.
I'm now trying some software called Spinrite. Its going on 100 hours
with like 1000 hours left to go, but it appears to be fixing it.

All it will ever fix is (very few) bad blocks that are recoverable
by sheer tenacity. If the important missing data (MBR bootsectors
FATs, whatever) is not among them then that won't help you any.

It really is my last resort.

Of course it isn't.

Old July 29th 04, 03:12 AM
jhiner

What else do you propose?

==============
Old July 29th 04, 01:04 PM
terry_b17

Justin ,
if you go to http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/
they have instructions on using knoppix for file recovery from
unbootable windows drives . the knoppix runs from the cd and does not
install anything on your hd .
hope this helps,
terry

==============
Old July 29th 04, 03:09 PM
jhiner

I was really addressing Folkert Rienstra, but I appreciate your
assistance.

Knoppix doesn't even recognize the drive after I boot using the cd. It
hangs when I try to access it, or sometimes it won't recognize the
drive at all.

I'm still running Spinrite, I'll let you know how that turns out.
Thanks!

Old July 29th 04, 03:54 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"jhiner" wrote in message
I was really addressing Folkert Rienstra,

Then maybe you should post your reply messages like all other people post them.