Question on Upgrading firmware

Old March 9th 05, 01:14 AM
Adam Raff

Default Question on Upgrading firmware

Good Day,

I have a 1600 and have updated the Bios and the Raid Controller (3200) and
Drives to the latest Firmware.

I saw that there is a HP64-bit/66MHz Ultra 3 Dual channel and a HP
64-bit/66MHz Ultra 3 Single channel. Which one do I use?

Are there any other firmware updates that I should do or you would recommend
before I get this sysem up and running?

Thanks
Adam Raff

Old March 9th 05, 03:09 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

Do you have a singe channel, or a dual channel controller ? Use the one that
matches the description of what you have.

- LC

news

Old March 10th 05, 01:32 AM
Adam Raff

Thanks NuTCrAcKer

I am referring to the onboard SCSI controller. Or is there no Firmware for
that?

On another Note, could you put a 5300 Raid Controller I believe it's dual
channel into this unit the part numbers are as follows
SP171383 and SP171385

Also one last question I hope, when I created this unit I used Smart Start
5.5 which created a Non Dos partition to load the Compaq Utilities. Can
these be upgraded and would you recommend it?

Thanks for the help
Adam Raff

Old March 10th 05, 02:43 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

No, there is no firmware for that.

Both of the firwares you saw are for PCI-X expantion cards. NOT the onboard
adapters. I dont think I have ever seen a firmware update for an onboard
controller for a Proliant server. I could be wrong, but I just dont remember
ever having seen it.

As for the 5300 ... not sure. I would have to see a picture of the PCI slot
in the server, and on the card. If there is going to be an incompatability,
it will be there. I will have access to a 4200 and a 5300, so I can look at
them and tell you what i think. My gut tells me no.

- LC

Old March 10th 05, 03:14 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

To amend my last post, there is no reason to get an array controller for the
1600 beyond an SA3200. The server only supports 32bit, 33Mhz slots, so
anything 64/33, or 64/66 is going to be a waste of money. Unless you plan on
gutting the server soon, and using it elsewhere in a machine that has all
the necessary architecture built into it to take advantage if it. for all
practical purposes, Ultra2 is about as good as you can hope for with that
machine. and as i mentioned earlier, there is the matter of slot
compatabiliites. the 4200 is a 4 channel Ultra2 card, but its a 64/33
architecture. yeah, it can "fit" into one of the slots, but if you connect
drives to all 4 channels, you are going to max out your PCI bus. And if
memory serves me correctly, there are 6 slots in that machine. 2 on bus 1
(shared with other onboard devices), and 4 on bus 2. You would be sorely
disappointed. Also take into consideration that the 3200 and the 4200 use
the same exact 64M BBWC module, you really arent getting much. Now, if you
were going to load it up with slow WUS3 drives, that might be "slightly"
different story.

Ohhhhh, the joys of hardware engineering. I live for this schtufff.

- LC

"Adam Raff" wrote in message
[...]

news Good Day,

Old March 10th 05, 03:50 AM
Desty

Nutcracker, just a quick question:

The only difference between the single and dual channel 3200
is the daughtercard with the internal 68-pin connectors on
it, correct?

Tim.

Old March 10th 05, 05:01 AM
NuTCrAcKeR

its still a dual channel card. That daugher card ( there are 3 different
ones ) determines how the channels are router. 2 internal, 1 intenal - 1
external, or 2 external . use the one that best suits your needs ( and
application). In your case, with the 1600, i would say, 1 internal - 1
external, or 2 external if you have a 1 or 2 Proliant Storage System UE (or
better). If you have a PSS U2, you can take one controller, and cable up
each channel on the card to a channel on your PSS. Split your array(s)
across them, and you get better I/O due to less channel contention.

- LC

Old March 12th 05, 08:21 PM
Adam Raff

Hi NuTCrAcKeR,