HELP!! Partition Magic has destroyed everything!

Old November 10th 04, 09:10 PM
cjm

Default HELP!! Partition Magic has destroyed everything!

If anyone could help me with this I would be highly grateful!!!

Last night I used Partition Magic (NEVER again) to rearrange a 447 Gb RAID
drive so that instead of being one partition it is in fact the following:

partition 1: 10 MB
partition 2: 10 GB
partition 3: 5 GB
partition 4: 432 GB

However, I woke up this morning to find that the whole drive has been
replaced with a Yellow "PqRP" partition, and windows can not see it at
all!!!

Please tell me how to recify this, as losing everything has very, very
disasterous consequences!

Chris

Old November 10th 04, 09:47 PM
Michael C

"cjm" wrote in message
If anyone could help me with this I would be highly grateful!!!

Last night I used Partition Magic (NEVER again) to rearrange a 447 Gb RAID
drive so that instead of being one partition it is in fact the following:

partition 1: 10 MB
partition 2: 10 GB
partition 3: 5 GB
partition 4: 432 GB

However, I woke up this morning to find that the whole drive has been
replaced with a Yellow "PqRP" partition, and windows can not see it at
all!!!

Please tell me how to recify this, as losing everything has very, very
disasterous consequences!

Restore from backup. Of course you did a backup before using partition
magic, right?

Michael

Old November 10th 04, 10:13 PM
kony

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:10:12 -0000, "cjm"
wrote:

If anyone could help me with this I would be highly grateful!!!

Last night I used Partition Magic (NEVER again) to rearrange a 447 Gb RAID
drive so that instead of being one partition it is in fact the following:

partition 1: 10 MB
partition 2: 10 GB
partition 3: 5 GB
partition 4: 432 GB

However, I woke up this morning to find that the whole drive has been
replaced with a Yellow "PqRP" partition, and windows can not see it at
all!!!

Please tell me how to recify this, as losing everything has very, very
disasterous consequences!

Chris

Never use Partition Magic on a drive with valuable data
before making backups. Partition Magic even suggests this
in either the program or documentation.

Run Partition Magic again to see what it finds.
You have left out some info, did you start it up then let it
run while sleeping so it's a mystery what happened? Have
you rebooted the system yet (if not, do so)?

Which Windows OS? If 2K/XP, go into Disk Management and see
what shows up. Do NOT write to the drive(s) if you might be
inclined to try running some sort of data recovery program
to scavenge for lost data... but you would need another
drive(s) to copy off whatever such a program could find.
Ontrack's EasyRecovery is one such program but it's a bit
pricey, I"m not sure what is the best bang for the buck...
Powerquest did at one point release one version of Lost &
Found as freeware (gave away free keys to any/all), though I
don't know what it's capabilities or limitations are. You
might Google search for the best product and pricing on this
type of app.
Old November 10th 04, 10:28 PM
Toy

"cjm" wrote in message
If anyone could help me with this I would be highly grateful!!!

Last night I used Partition Magic (NEVER again) to rearrange a 447 Gb RAID
drive so that instead of being one partition it is in fact the following:

partition 1: 10 MB
partition 2: 10 GB
partition 3: 5 GB
partition 4: 432 GB

However, I woke up this morning to find that the whole drive has been
replaced with a Yellow "PqRP" partition, and windows can not see it at
all!!!

Please tell me how to recify this, as losing everything has very, very
disasterous consequences!

Chris

PM in the wrong hands is lethal and renowned for it.

toy

Old November 10th 04, 10:34 PM

For future attempts, you could check out DFSEE (www.dfsee.com.)

Alan

** Please use address alanh77[at]comccast.net to reply via e-mail. **

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.1

Old November 11th 04, 12:07 AM
Mike Barnard

wrote:

However, I woke up this morning to find that the whole drive has been
replaced with a Yellow "PqRP" partition, and windows can not see it at
all!!!

Please tell me how to recify this, as losing everything has very, very
disasterous consequences!

Chris

A quick google on PqRP gives many links, including this one.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/lite/t-77451.html

"Sure enough, the G: is now a PGRP file system.
And yes, I've read up on that... I understand that it's a Poerquest
invention that prevents Windows from writing to the partition (Windows
won't write to a file system it doesn't understand) so that the user
can have time to recover the lost data.
I've also read that it is not unusual for PM to take a long time to
complete tasks, and that I should have tried the NUMLOCK key to see if
the system was still responding.... but it's too late for that now. "

HTH.

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
Old November 11th 04, 12:42 AM
Shep©

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:10:12 -0000 It was a dark and stormy night when
"cjm" wrote :

If anyone could help me with this I would be highly grateful!!!

Last night I used Partition Magic (NEVER again) to rearrange a 447 Gb RAID
drive so that instead of being one partition it is in fact the following:

partition 1: 10 MB
partition 2: 10 GB
partition 3: 5 GB
partition 4: 432 GB

However, I woke up this morning to find that the whole drive has been
replaced with a Yellow "PqRP" partition, and windows can not see it at
all!!!

Please tell me how to recify this, as losing everything has very, very
disasterous consequences!

Chris

Bet you didn't buy it ;-)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
Old November 11th 04, 12:26 PM
Graeme

"cjm" wrote in message
If anyone could help me with this I would be highly grateful!!!

Last night I used Partition Magic (NEVER again) to rearrange a 447 Gb RAID
drive so that instead of being one partition it is in fact the following:

partition 1: 10 MB
partition 2: 10 GB
partition 3: 5 GB
partition 4: 432 GB

However, I woke up this morning to find that the whole drive has been
replaced with a Yellow "PqRP" partition, and windows can not see it at
all!!!

Please tell me how to recify this, as losing everything has very, very
disasterous consequences!

If you're in the UK try 08457 90 90 90, or log on to their web-site;
http://www.samaritans.org.uk/

Old November 11th 04, 10:08 PM
patrick

cjm wrote:
If anyone could help me with this I would be highly grateful!!!

Last night I used Partition Magic (NEVER again) to rearrange a 447 Gb RAID
drive so that instead of being one partition it is in fact the following:

partition 1: 10 MB
partition 2: 10 GB
partition 3: 5 GB
partition 4: 432 GB

However, I woke up this morning to find that the whole drive has been
replaced with a Yellow "PqRP" partition, and windows can not see it at
all!!!

Please tell me how to recify this, as losing everything has very, very
disasterous consequences!

Chris

I boot from a LIVE CD of Knoppix3.6. Then, I mount the drives, and use
QTParted to look at, move, and re-arrange partitions, on the fly, in
minutes!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/sto...347661,00.html

If you are lucky, you could re-set the partitions to the original sizes,
and recover all the data!

http://knopper.net/knoppix

And, help is here, at one of these 630+ LUGs: http://lugww.counter.li.org
Old November 17th 04, 08:23 PM
BILLEMERY

got the same problem, and after booting in dos and loading pm8 from
dos command line it shows the partition as being a PQrP partitition
all right but it has all the operations grayed out except delete and
format. boy is that helpfull !!so not only does pm blow chunks to re
partition your harddrive, it wont undo what it did. i guess im
wondering why they even load from dos if it doesnt do anything.

not ever going to use pm again. ive heard acronis is the way to go.