Partition Hex Codes?

Old February 10th 04, 08:36 PM
NiteWolf1138

Default Partition Hex Codes?

Does anyone have a list of hex codes used in the boot record for identifying
what type of partition is in use. I have a hard drive with a partition that
I can't un-create. I have seen something somewhere that allows you to change
the partition type by changing the hex code in the boot record. I know this
is a danger to data and such, but its a hard drive I purchased online and
haven't used it for anything, so destroying any info on the hard drive is no
problem. Thanks

Old February 10th 04, 09:18 PM
V W Wall

NiteWolf1138 wrote:
=

Does anyone have a list of hex codes used in the boot record for identi=

fying
what type of partition is in use. I have a hard drive with a partition =

that
I can't un-create. I have seen something somewhere that allows you to c=

hange
the partition type by changing the hex code in the boot record. I know =

this
is a danger to data and such, but its a hard drive I purchased online a=

nd
haven't used it for anything, so destroying any info on the hard drive =

is no
problem. Thanks

Try this list:

http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partition...n_types-1.html

If there's a particular one you need to identify, give us a shout!

Here's a bunch:

ID Name
=C4=C4 =C4=C4=C4=C4
00h empty
01h DOS 12-bit FAT
02h XENIX root file system
03h XENIX /usr file system (obsolete)
04h DOS 16-bit FAT (up to 32M)
05h DOS 3.3+ extended partition
06h DOS 3.31+ Large File System (16-bit FAT, over 32M)
07h QNX
07h OS/2 HPFS
07h Windows NT NTFS
07h Advanced Unix
08h OS/2 (v1.0-1.3 only)
08h AIX bootable partition, SplitDrive
08h SplitDrive
08h Commodore DOS
08h DELL partition spanning multiple drives
08h QNX 1.x and 2.x
09h AIX data partition
09h Coherent filesystem
09h QNX 1.x and 2.x
0Ah OS/2 Boot Manager
0Ah OPUS
0Ah Coherent swap partition
0Bh Windows 95 OSR2 with 32-bit FAT
0Ch Windows 95 OSR2 with 32-bit FAT (LBA-mode INT 13 extensio=
ns)
0Eh LBA VFAT (same as 06h but using LBA-mode INT 13)
0Fh LBA VFAT (same as 05h but using LBA-mode INT 13)
10h OPUS
11h Hidden 12-bit FAT partition
12h Compaq Diagnostics partition (FAT compatible)
14h (using Novell DOS 7.0 FDISK to delete Linux Native part)
14h Hidden sub-32M 16-bit FAT partition
16h Hidden over-32M 16-bit FAT partition
17h Hidden HPFS partition
18h AST special Windows swap file
1Bh Hidden Windows 95 with 32-bit FAT
1Ch Hidden Windows 95 with 32-bit LBA FAT
1Eh Hidden Windows 95 with LBA BIGDOS
21h officially listed as reserved
23h officially listed as reserved
24h NEC DOS 3.x
26h officially listed as reserved
31h officially listed as reserved
33h officially listed as reserved
34h officially listed as reserved
36h officially listed as reserved
38h Theos v3.2 2GB partition
39h Theos v4 spanned partition
3Ah Theos v4 4GB partition
3Bh Theos v4 extended partition
3Ch PowerQuest PartitionMagic recovery partition
40h VENIX 80286
41h Personal RISC Boot
41h Power PC Reference Platform Boot
42h SFS (Secure File System) by Peter Gutmann
45h EUMEL/Elan
46h EUMEL/Elan
47h EUMEL/Elan
48h EUMEL/Elan
4Dh QNX4.x
4Eh QNX4.x 2nd part
4Fh QNX4.x 3rd part
4Fh Oberon
50h OnTrack Disk Manager, read-only partition
51h OnTrack Disk Manager, read/write partition
51h NOVELL
52h CP/M
52h Microport System V/386
53h OnTrack Disk Manager, write-only partition???
54h OnTrack Disk Manager (DDO)
55h EZ-Drive
56h GoldenBow VFeature
56h DM converted to EZ-BIOS
57h DrivePro
5Ch Priam EDisk
61h SpeedStor
63h Unix SysV/386, 386/ix
63h Mach, MtXinu BSD 4.3 on Mach
63h GNU HURD
64h PC-ARMOUR protected partition
64h Novell NetWare 2.xx
65h Novell NetWare 3.xx or 4.xx
67h Novell
68h Novell
69h Novell
70h DiskSecure Multi-Boot
71h officially listed as reserved
73h officially listed as reserved
74h officially listed as reserved
75h IBM PC/IX
76h officially listed as reserved
80h Minix v1.1 - 1.4a
81h Minix v1.4b+
81h Linux
81h Mitac Advanced Disk Manager
82h Linux Swap partition
82h Prime
82h Solaris x86
83h Linux native file system (ext2fs/xiafs)
84h OS/2-renumbered type 04h partition (hiding DOS C: drive)
84h Hibernation partition
85h Linux extended partition
86h NTFS volume set
87h HPFS Fault-Tolerant mirrored partition
8Ah Linux Kernel Partition (used by AiR-BOOT)
8Eh Linux Logical Volume Manager partition
93h Amoeba file system
94h Amoeba bad block table
99h DCE376 logical drive
A0h IBM Thinkpad hibernation partition
A0h Phoenix NoteBIOS Power Management "Save-to-Disk" partitio=
A1h officially listed as reserved
A3h officially listed as reserved
A4h officially listed as reserved
A5h FreeBSD, NetBSD, BSD/386
A6h OpenBSD
A7h NEXTSTEP
A9h NetBSD
AAh Olivetti Fat 12 1.44Mb Service Partition
B1h officially listed as reserved
B3h officially listed as reserved
B4h officially listed as reserved
B6h officially listed as reserved
B7h BSDI file system (secondarily swap)
B8h BSDI swap partition (secondarily file system)
BEh Solaris boot partition
C0h CTOS
C0h REAL/32 secure small partition
C1h DR DOS 6.0 LOGIN.EXE-secured 12-bit FAT partition
C4h DR DOS 6.0 LOGIN.EXE-secured 16-bit FAT partition
C6h DR DOS 6.0 LOGIN.EXE-secured Huge partition
C7h Syrinx Boot
CBh reserved for DRDOS/secured (FAT32)
CCh reserved for DRDOS/secured (FAT32, LBA)
CEh reserved for DRDOS/secured (FAT16, LBA)
D0h REAL/32 secure big partition
D1h Old Multiuser DOS secured FAT12
D4h Old Multiuser DOS secured FAT16 32M
D5h Old Multiuser DOS secured extended partition
D6h Old Multiuser DOS secured FAT16 =3D32M
D8h CP/M-86
DBh CP/M, Concurrent CP/M, Concurrent DOS
DBh CTOS (Convergent Technologies OS)
E1h SpeedStor 12-bit FAT extended partition
E3h DOS read-only
E3h Storage Dimensions
E4h SpeedStor 16-bit FAT extended partition
E5h officially listed as reserved
E6h officially listed as reserved
EBh BeOS partition
F1h Storage Dimensions
F2h DOS 3.3+ secondary partition
F3h officially listed as reserved
F4h SpeedStor
F4h Storage Dimensions
F5h Prologue multi-volume partition
F6h officially listed as reserved
FDh Linux raid partition
FEh LANstep
FEh IBM PS/2 IML
FFh Xenix bad block table

If you just need to remove a partition, aefdisk will get most!

http://www.aefdisk.com (Free to try!)

Virg Wall
-- =

Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic.
=

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law
Old February 11th 04, 05:53 PM
NiteWolf1138

Thanks, it's just what I'm looking for.

"V W Wall" wrote in message

Try this list:

http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partition...n_types-1.html

If there's a particular one you need to identify, give us a shout!

*edited for length*

--

Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law

Partition table error? Help!! Thomas Jespersen General 6 November 12th 08 01:51 AM
Problem upgrading HDD Jeff General 9 August 20th 05 09:37 PM
Partition problems on new WD drive. S.Boardman General 0 December 21st 03 05:42 PM
Primary partition - disappeared! S.Boardman General 2 September 24th 03 11:41 PM
Partition Hard Drive? ~misfit~ General 0 June 23rd 03 06:58 AM