I update a Quickbooks file that is transferred via backup/restore on CD

Old April 24th 04, 06:07 AM
Jim

Default I update a Quickbooks file that is transferred via backup/restore on CD

Here is the problem:
About once a week I update a Quickbooks file that is transferred via
backup/restore on CD. The other computer is running win me! I used to run
win me but recently got a new computer with win xp pro. I had both ME
machines loaded with Easy CD Creator & DirectCD. I did everything with it,
record from tapes & burn CDAs or MP3s, close the session or leave it open,
MOVE FILES TO CD-RW DISKS LIKE IT WAS A FLOPPY!! It worked great with zero
problems! When I put a file on a CD-RW with WinXP it is doing something
before it will eject the disk, maybe finalizing, I don't know what its
doing. When I take the disk to the WinME computer I can read it BUT here is
when the trouble starts, I CAN NOT WRITE TO THE DISK ANYMORE!!!!!!! IT SAYS
THE DISK IS EITHER FULL OR I DO NOT HAVE ACCESS!! THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE IT A
TRUE READ/WRITE DISK IS TO FORMAT THE DAMN THING AGAIN!!!

I don't want to find out how to use WinXP BURN! Or how it works! Or how
great it is! I want to know how to stop WINXP from blowing the codes off a
FORMATTED CD-RW so it does not work in other computers that have a UDF
reader and are able to treat it as a large floppy! Does anyone know how to
solve the problem?????

Thanks

Old April 24th 04, 07:22 AM
Mike Richter

Jim wrote:

[...]

Have you tried turning off the XP applet? I'm told the method is to
right-click the drive in My Computer, then Properties, Recording and
clear Enable CD recording on this drive. (That will not bother other
software, just affect XP's little toy.)

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old April 24th 04, 09:11 AM
Graham Mayor

Do you have Direct CD on the XP machine? XP's disc writing system produces
ISO format discs not the UDF packet formats produced by Direct CD. You will
need to use the same software to have them behave in the same manner.

--

Graham Mayor

Old April 24th 04, 11:56 AM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have proof of misquotes!!! )

Jim wrote:

[...]

Wonder whatever happened to the Mikey's "the most fragile and least
reliable format" cockamamie ???!!!

From: smh
Subject: access denied after moving files to a cd-rw
Date: 2/26/02

Teresa Butts wrote:

I formatted a cd-rw. I started moving mp3 files to the disk. After
formatting cd I had only 511mb to work with. I assume this is normal. I then
started moving files from explorer to the disk. At first things where going
fine and then I received an error message that access was denied, that the
disk was full or the disk was write protected. First I know that the disk
was not full. Can anyone help me with this problem?

Yours is not an isolated case. Something smells bad with DirectCD.

(Can't help but wondering why the whole DirectCD development team got
fired.)

=======================
From: "Bob Brunson"
Subject: access denied to cd-rw
Date: 10/18/01

I have just formatted a cd-rw with Direct CD, then tried to copy some
data files over to it using Windows Explorer in WinME. It won't do it,
giving me an access denied error and that the disk may be write
protected. I then tried to create a folder on the cd-rw to see if that
would help, but get the same error. How does one un-write protect a
cd-rw? This is driving me crazy and I can't seem to find any answers
anywhere on the net.

=======================
From: (TerryAna2)
Subject: DirectCD and Teac CD-W516EB - [16x10x40]
Date: 10/23/01

I bought some TDK 4x-10x CDRWs last night. Formatted one using DirectCD
(Easy CD Creator v5.01) and all looked good. Then I ejected and
reinserted the CDRW disc into the burner and it says "Unrecognized data
format" or something to that effect in DirectCD (and the disc is
unaccessible in Windows Explorer). I erased the disc and formatted it
again and the same problem. Any ideas?

=======================
From: john63401
Subject: What is up with MY DirectCD disks?!!
Date: 11/27/01

I bought some Fuji brand CDRW disks.

I format them under DirectCD..... and was wanting to
use then to transport stuff between home and work....
reading and writing to them via the Win 2000 Explorer.

Anyway.....after formatting them using DCD.... I can
write to them..... but for some reason later after
that.... I can NOT write or even erase what is on
them!!

I get a message from Windows that says the disks are
read only!!! And no matter what I do.... I cant change
the read only status.

What gives??? Am I missing something? Or is this a bug
in DCD somehow.

=======================
From: (arthur)
Subject: problem in accessing CD RW
Date: 2/8/02

I am trying to use a CD Re writable disk. TDK 700 MB. I am using
Adaptec DIRECT CD. Uptill now Ihave formated 4 times but I still
cannot use the disk. Every time I am trying to copy some file using
Windows Explorer it is giving message "Access Denied. The disk is
write protected'. Why is it so and how to prevent it.

=======================
From: (Gary C. New)
Subject: DirectCD "Access is denied" Issue
Date: 2/16/02

Here's a strange one for you:

I've successfully used DirectCD and Easy CD Creator with CD-RWs in the
past with the system in question. Recently, I purchased a new box of
CD-RWs (Memorex 8x-10x) and cannot seem to be able to get them to work
with DirectCD but they work fine with Easy CD Creator. I can even
format the new CDs with DirectCD without error. The problem arises
when I try and copy my files to the formated DirectCD disk. It gives
me the error message: "Cannot create or replace ... Access is denied.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file
is not currently in use." The disk is not full (648MB Free) and the
MyDocuments folder is not in use. However, I'm not sure how to check
and see if the disk is write-protected.

I've tried Roxio's site support and reinstalling DirectCD and Easy CD
Creator and neither were successful.

Nero and dvd-r failure Blair Wilson Cdr 1 February 5th 04 07:23 AM
boot-up problem Dave General 1 January 11th 04 02:38 PM
Can't get CD Burner to Burn Nottoman General 2 December 22nd 03 05:47 PM
newbie: About update bios on IS7 Jeff Abit Motherboards 1 December 22nd 03 02:31 PM
Help! - The dreaded buffer underrun XPG Cdr 5 August 31st 03 06:27 PM