2nd Hard Drive Disappears After Standby/hibernatio, Partition Magic Issue?

Old December 5th 03, 03:48 AM
wrt

Default 2nd Hard Drive Disappears After Standby/hibernatio, Partition Magic Issue?

I replaced a failed Maxtor 200 GB Hard Drive with a Western Digital 250 GB
Hard Drive; restored the Image of the Maxtor HD (which had my OS on it) onto
the Western D. HD and booted into Win XP PRO. No problems. My system
includes an additional Maxtor 200 GB HD which was put into its original
location where it has worked for months.

The only significant change to the system was to move my OS and Files from
the failed Maxtor to the new Western D. HD

I did have to change some Drive letters via Partition Magic in order for the
newly set up Western D. HD to be assigned "C" but this process seemed to go
smoothly.

The system now booting from the Western D. drive ran fine but upon awakening
from Hibernation mode my 2nd HD (the Maxtor 200 GB) "disappeared."
Rebooting the system brought it back and working fine. Simply Logging in
and out would not bring it back. I turned off Hibernation but the same
thing occurred when the system went into Standby.

When my system was configured with the two Maxtor drives this never
happened. But the drive that is "disappearing" is the remaining Maxtor
Drive that is in the place it always has been. The Western Digital Drive
seems to operating fine and was awakened after entering Hibernation and/or
Standby.

Looking into my Event Logs, I have found the following events which appear
to be related to this issue. They are provided below as they were recorded

I.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: atapi
Event Category: None
Event ID: 15
Date: 11/23/2003
Time: 2:08:25 PM
User: N/A
Computer: xx
The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, is not ready for access yet.

Data:
0000: 0f 00 14 00 01 00 64 00 ......d.
0008: 00 00 00 00 0f 00 04 c0 .......
0010: 03 01 00 00 a3 00 00 c0 ......
0018: aa 9d 09 00 00 00 00 00 ......
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 ........
0030: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0038: 07 00 00 00 ....

II.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Disk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 11
Date: 11/23/2003
Time: 2:08:25 PM
User: N/A
Computer: xx
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\D.

Data:
0000: 04 00 68 00 01 00 b6 00 ..h....
0008: 00 00 00 00 0b 00 04 c0 .......
0010: 03 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 54 ff 06 00 00 00 00 00 T......
0030: ff ff ff ff 07 00 00 00 ....
0038: 40 00 00 05 00 00 01 00 @.......
0040: 00 20 0a 12 80 01 20 40 . ..?. @
0048: 00 a0 00 00 1e 00 00 00 . ......
0050: 00 b0 2f 82 80 4d 04 82 ./,?M.,
0058: 00 00 00 00 00 1a 0e 82 .......,
0060: 00 00 00 00 17 dd 97 01 .....-.
0068: 2a 08 01 97 dd 17 00 00 *..-...
0070: 50 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 P.......
0078: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0080: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0088: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

III.
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Disk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 51
Date: 11/23/2003
Time: 2:08:26 PM
User: N/A
Computer: xx
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging
operation.

Data:
0000: 04 01 68 00 01 00 b6 00 ..h....
0008: 00 00 00 00 33 00 04 80 ....3..?
0010: 2d 01 00 00 0e 00 00 c0 -......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 74 ff 06 00 00 00 00 00 t......
0030: ff ff ff ff 01 00 00 00 ....
0038: 40 00 00 08 00 00 01 00 @.......
0040: ff 20 0a 12 8c 01 20 40 ..O. @
0048: 00 a0 00 00 1e 00 00 00 . ......
0050: 00 b0 2f 82 80 4d 04 82 ./,?M.,
0058: 00 00 00 00 00 1a 0e 82 .......,
0060: 00 00 00 00 17 dd 97 01 .....-.
0068: 2a 08 01 97 dd 17 00 00 *..-...
0070: 50 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 P.......
0078: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0080: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0088: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

IV.
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Ftdisk
Event Category: Disk
Event ID: 57
Date: 11/23/2003
Time: 2:08:26 PM
User: N/A
Computer: xx
The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may
occur.

Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 be 00 .......
0008: 02 00 00 00 39 00 04 80 ....9..?
0010: 00 00 00 00 0e 00 00 c0 .......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

V.
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Ntfs
Event Category: None
Event ID: 50
Date: 11/23/2003
Time: 2:08:26 PM
User: N/A
Computer: xx
{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file
.. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your
computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file
elsewhere.

Data:
0000: 04 00 04 00 02 00 52 00 ......R.
0008: 00 00 00 00 32 00 04 80 ....2..?
0010: 00 00 00 00 0e 00 00 c0 .......
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 0e 00 00 c0 ...

VI.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: PlugPlayManager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 12
Date: 11/23/2003
Time: 2:08:26 PM
User: N/A
Computer: xx
The device 'Maxtor 6Y200P0'
(IDE\DiskMaxtor_6Y200P0__________________________Y AR41VW0\365935304334453620
2020202020202020202020) disappeared from the system without first being
prepared for removal.

Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 ....

There were other entries but these seem to be most relevant.
The info found at the links generated in the error message did not seem to
offer a solution.

Thanks for any assistance.

Old December 5th 03, 09:20 PM
Shep

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 02:48:37 GMT Not letting inanimate objects know
I'm a in a hurry "wrt" wrote :

[...]

If possible disable the APM(Advanced Power Management) in the
BIOS.This is,"Not"the same as ACPI.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de