how load win 98 on old laptop?

Old January 30th 05, 01:35 AM
~ Avery Anderson~

Default how load win 98 on old laptop?

Hi,
A friend gave me an old NEC Versa laptop. It has no usb, it was made around
1996, it has a one gig hard drive in it. Serial port, parallel port,
pciamci slot or whatever its called with a 28k modem in it, a video out, and
one bay that can hold either a 3 1/2" floppy drive, or a 2X cdrom, both of
which I have.

Here's the problem, it has win98 on it but it doesn't load, it halts saying
no himem.sys loaded or something like that. So I tried copying the file
from a floppy into the windows directory but it never seems to get in there
because I continually get the same message. Even after it says the file was
copied. Then I made a directory on the hard drive, and copied himem.sys to
it, and sure enough it was there. Then I copied it from there to the
windows directory, and it isn't there, and booting gives me the same error
message.

the drives aren't hot swappable, so the problem is I can't get to the cdrom.
The win98 setup disk works in the 3.5 but it doesn't load cdrom drivers
because it doesn't see a cdrom in the system because there isn't one. Even
if it did, the system would crash if I pulled swapped the drives hot.

The bios has no switches to change boot order. It only has 3.5 and then the
c drive.

So I sent a way for a 3.5 to 2.5 converter to put the drive in a regular
computer and load the os from there, but no luck, the jack on the NEC's hard
drive is smaller than the 2.5" on the converter, so about now I'm looking
for some ideas.

Thanks for any help with this,

Avery

Old January 30th 05, 02:00 AM
Shep©

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:35:39 -0500 Not alowing their prejudice to rule
their future "~ Avery Anderson~" wrote :

Hi,
A friend gave me an old NEC Versa laptop. It has no usb, it was made around
1996, it has a one gig hard drive in it. Serial port, parallel port,
pciamci slot or whatever its called with a 28k modem in it, a video out, and
one bay that can hold either a 3 1/2" floppy drive, or a 2X cdrom, both of
which I have.

Here's the problem, it has win98 on it but it doesn't load, it halts saying
no himem.sys

Faulty RAM.

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply
Old January 30th 05, 02:20 AM
Al Dykes

In article ,
~ Avery Anderson~ wrote:
[...]

It's a Win/95 vintage machine.

Did W/98 come out on floppies ?

Just maybe if you looked on a w/98 CDROM you'd find that all the CAB files
were less than 1.44 MB and could be copied to floppies. and you could
use them for to install.

Look on http://bootdisks.com/ for the boot floppies.

What a PITA.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
Old January 30th 05, 03:13 AM
~ Avery Anderson~

Shep,
Thanks, I didn't pull the memory, and reinstall. Will do.
Avery

Old January 30th 05, 03:17 AM
~ Avery Anderson~

Al,
Thanks for the tip. If the win98 cabs don't fit on a floppy, I'm sure the
win95 ones will.

Also, there is a complete set of cabs on the hard drive. I can boot to an A
prompt and get to the C drive and see them. The install in there works, but
I aborted it after the start because I don't know what software key that set
of cabs uses. Is there a way to extract the key?

Thanks,

Avery,

ps: the original windows directory I can browse, too. Is there a way to
find the key there? If so, I could use the cabs to reinstall because in all
likelihood they are the ones originally used to install the OS.

Old January 30th 05, 03:20 AM
seabat

On 29 Jan 2005 20:20:10 -0500, (Al Dykes) wrote:

Look on
http://bootdisks.com/ for the boot floppies.

Better yet, just download and burn the file to make a boot CD!!
That will have the CD-ROM drivers already on it. Just make sure that
your laptop can boot from the CD. You might have to go into your BIOS
and set it up for that.

--
The Seabat
Old January 30th 05, 04:28 AM
~ Avery Anderson~

Hi Seabat,

Nope, that's the problem. There is no setting in the cmos to make it boot
from a CD, if there was, I could just use the win98 CD. Then again, I
don't know how to make a boot CD. I can make a bootable floppy, though.
Well, I can let windows make one for me anyway.

Thanks,

Avery

Old January 30th 05, 11:22 AM
MJP

"~ Avery Anderson~" wrote in message
[...]

Perhaps you are missing something here, although Himem.sys exists, is it
being loaded by the autoexec.bat file.

MJP

Old January 30th 05, 02:53 PM
John Doe

"MJP" wrote:
[...]

I would think that is the problem.

Man, I messed with AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS, and all the trappings
thousands of times. Those were the days, I guess.

When desperate to compute, with much effort I stuffed Windows 95 and
AOL on a 41GB hard disk drive.

Old January 30th 05, 02:58 PM
John Doe

...on a 41GB hard disk drive.

I meant 41MB.

It's been a long time.

Troubleshooting a laptop..help!! [email protected] General 0 January 6th 05 07:08 PM
pc problems after g card upgrade + sp2 ben reed Homebuilt PC's 9 November 30th 04 02:04 AM
Gaming Laptop Quaoar Homebuilt PC's 0 July 20th 04 03:06 PM
laptop xedos Homebuilt PC's 1 July 12th 03 09:38 PM
laptop xedos Homebuilt PC's 0 July 12th 03 05:11 PM