swann V92 modem problems

Old February 16th 04, 10:29 PM
ray

Default swann V92 modem problems

windows 98
brand new modem
i hit connect and cant get a daltone.....
i hit dial in again and and then i get a connection
any body seen this before??
if i switch the connector over to the phone socket...[this lil sucker
has phone and line sockets] it connects sometimes better than the the
line socket...is this a faulty modem or just me going nuts
thanks in advance for your help and advice

Old February 17th 04, 07:00 AM
DalienX

in a galaxy far far away ray wrote:

windows 98
brand new modem
i hit connect and cant get a daltone.....
i hit dial in again and and then i get a connection
any body seen this before??
if i switch the connector over to the phone socket...[this lil sucker
has phone and line sockets] it connects sometimes better than the the
line socket...is this a faulty modem or just me going nuts
thanks in advance for your help and advice

try swapping the driver, i had similer modem and it had two default
drivers to choose from, both looked identical, both "appeared" to work
but only one "really" worked :S go figure

--
DalienX
Old February 17th 04, 09:33 PM
ray

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 06:00:20 GMT, "DalienX"
wrote:

in a galaxy far far away ray wrote:

windows 98
brand new modem
i hit connect and cant get a daltone.....
i hit dial in again and and then i get a connection
any body seen this before??
if i switch the connector over to the phone socket...[this lil sucker
has phone and line sockets] it connects sometimes better than the the
line socket...is this a faulty modem or just me going nuts
thanks in advance for your help and advice

try swapping the driver, i had similer modem and it had two default
drivers to choose from, both looked identical, both "appeared" to work
but only one "really" worked :S go figure

they have released a new driver and the 3 sitting here are going back
in exchange for the mitsubishi which i have had no trouble from dozens

Old February 19th 04, 12:14 AM
Justin Thyme

"ray" wrote in message
windows 98
brand new modem
i hit connect and cant get a daltone.....
i hit dial in again and and then i get a connection
any body seen this before??
if i switch the connector over to the phone socket...[this lil sucker
has phone and line sockets] it connects sometimes better than the the
line socket...is this a faulty modem or just me going nuts
thanks in advance for your help and advice

When it says no dialtone, do you hear a dialtone from the speaker? Have you
tried disabling dialtone detection?
I've found that in some areas the telstra dialtones must be a bit off - I
had a USR modem that worked perfectly, moved across town to another exchange
and it wouldn't detect dialtone. Disable dialtone detection and it was back
working sweet again. I frequently have to "fix" computers that can't get
dialtone - problem seems to affect all makes and models of modems randomly -
eg in some areas of town a Netcomm can't detect, but a Swann will. Other
areas a Swann won't detect dialtone but a Netcomm will. I haven't
encountered one brand that is 100% reliable at detecting dialtones.

Old February 19th 04, 01:49 PM
ray

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 23:14:22 GMT, "Justin Thyme"
wrote:

"ray" wrote in message
[...]

where is that ??"detect dialtone"??

Old February 19th 04, 03:13 PM
pedro

wrote:

"ray" wrote in message

[...]

It's in modem properties in control panel.

--
rgds,

Pete.
-----
http://pedro.spyw.com
'It's not a bug. It's an undocumented feature'

Old February 19th 04, 10:16 PM
Justin Thyme

wrote:

"ray" wrote in message
[...]

Win XP/2000:
Go to control panel, phone and modem properties, choose the modem tab,
highlight your modem (if not already) and choose properties. On the modem
tab, toward the bottom you will see "Wait for dial tone before dialling".
Untick it and ok to all windows.
Win 95/95/ME
The setting has to be made in two places:
1st you have to set it in modem properties in control panel
2nd, you have to go into dial up networking, right click on your isp and
choose properties, and then choose configure where the modem is listed.
Sorry, I can't remember the exact sequence of dialogs anymore, and I don't
have a W9x machine handy to check.

Despite this being an extremely common problem, the goofballs at Telstra
support can't seem to grasp it. It is phenomenal the number of times I've
had a support call that goes something like - "my modem won't work, Telstra
said it's faulty" - look at the computer and find all sorts of things like
commas in front of the number, wierd initialisation strings etc that telstra
have got them to do. Remove all that rubbish, disable dialtone detection and
presto it works like a lil' beauty.
Also, if you have the stuttered dialtone that indicates you have a message
in messagebank, almost all modems will fail to detect the tone.

Old February 20th 04, 06:44 AM
ray

wrote:

"ray" wrote in message
[...]

than you one and all

Modem Problems JH General 5 February 2nd 04 08:46 PM
Modem problems. jeremy General 6 November 27th 03 02:21 AM
Split Cable Modem Line For TV Tuner? *Vanguard* General 3 November 24th 03 12:14 AM
Dial up modem problem Richard Freeman General 21 September 22nd 03 05:50 AM
Dial up modem problem Richard Freeman Homebuilt PC's 21 September 22nd 03 05:50 AM