Compaq Deskpro, Evo UUID Setting

Old December 19th 08, 06:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Default Compaq Deskpro, Evo UUID Setting

Hello all...

I have a number of Compaq Deskpro 686P2, 686P3 and Evo D500, 510
series (686O2) systems. All of these seem to be pretty closely
related, and all of them have a setting in the BIOS known as the
"UUID".

This setting is disabled by default, and Compaq's in-setup help isn't
very helpful, stating that changing the setting "enables or disables
the UUID".

What does this setting do?

William
Old December 28th 08, 03:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

"William R. Walsh" wrote in message
Hello all...

I have a number of Compaq Deskpro 686P2, 686P3 and Evo D500, 510
series (686O2) systems. All of these seem to be pretty closely
related, and all of them have a setting in the BIOS known as the
"UUID".

This setting is disabled by default, and Compaq's in-setup help isn't
very helpful, stating that changing the setting "enables or disables
the UUID".

What does this setting do?

William

search anywhere for info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUID

It would use your PC's serial number, and maybe its ethernet MAC address etc
to come up with "some number".
Original "intent" was to make your pc/visit to a website 'special' so when
you returned /transmitted data to any other computer, it 'guaranteed'
security and make things easier by already knowing everything about you.
Great on paper, but who wants the world to know that. So now disabled by
default. ( I bought a Compaq PC in 2002 that came with it enabled.)

Old December 29th 08, 05:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUID

Thank you for the information. I did do a search, and that link came
up. I wasn't sure if it was relevant to what I was looking for. At a
second glance, it does seem to be.

It would use your PC's serial number, and maybe its ethernet
MAC address etc to come up with "some number".
Original "intent" was to make your pc/visit to a website
'special' so when you returned /transmitted data to any
other computer, it 'guaranteed' security and make things
easier by already knowing everything about you.

It sounds a lot like the Pentium III on-CPU serial number. (I well
remember the controversy over that.)

Great on paper, but who wants the world to know that.

So true, especially with all the "interesting" ways to try and keep
track of users visiting web sites, clicking on ads, etc.

William

Compaq Deskpro 2000 naza Overclocking 1 February 10th 07 07:27 PM
Compaq Deskpro EP fcga1976 Compaq Computers 8 May 7th 06 04:32 PM
Need a little help with a Compaq Deskpro EN SFF [email protected] Compaq Computers 0 August 18th 05 11:05 AM
compaq user diagnostics diskette for compaq deskpro 4000 naresh ghanghas Compaq Computers 6 April 27th 05 07:50 PM
Compaq Deskpro 4000. Wilfrid Humbug Compaq Computers 2 April 23rd 04 02:54 AM