thumb drive problem with Windows 98

Old April 10th 07, 05:45 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dh@.

Default thumb drive problem with Windows 98

I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
would work. Having been led to believe it would take
care of everything by itself, when it asked about
drives I just hit the next buttons thinking it would
figure it out. I was online at the time, and it asked if
I wanted it to find the driver(s) online so I said okay.
It did whatever it did, and I haven't gotten a thing
out of it since. Putting it in does nothing, and I've
been able to find no icons or anything for it, etc.

It is a Kingston DataTraveler DTI/1GB. I read the
Read Me at:

http://tinyurl.com/2thq64

and downloaded the driver. Thinking that something
mut have gotten screwed up the first time I put it in,
I tried following this:
Q. During the installation of the Data Traveler the Hardware Wizard did
not locate a proper driver for the Data Traveler and now there is an
"Other Devices" listed in the Device Manager and the new drive letter
for the Data Traveler is not displayed in "My Computer."

A. You have not properly installed the drivers for your Data Traveler. In
order to resolve you will need to first download the appropriate driver.
Please use the URL provided to download the proper DTI driver.
http://www.kingston.com/support/down...tatrav/DTI.EXE
Be sure to download this driver to a location that you can remember.
Now you will need to update the driver for the Data Traveler listed under
"Other Devices." In order to do this, please follow the steps provided.

1)In Device Manager, Right click on the Data Traveler listed
under "Other Devices," and select "Properties."
2)Access the "Driver" tab and select "Update Driver." This will
begin the "Update Driver Wizard."
3)During the "Update Driver Wizard" be sure to select the
"Search for a better driver" option and click next.
4)In the "search for updated drivers," window, make sure "Specify
a location," is the only option selected, then click Browse.
5)Locate the driver that you have previously downloaded and click
O.K.
6)Now you are ready to install the drivers for the Data Traveler.
Click NextNextFinished.
7)Once you close the "Update Device Driver Wizard," the
installation should complete and a new
"Removable Disk," icon should display in "My Computer."
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
but there is nothing called "Other Devices" that I can find on this
PC, and so there is no Data Traveler listed under "Other Devices".
I'm using Windows 98, not SE afaik, so is that part of it? Will these
things just not work with regular Windows 98?

When things didn't work out like the instructions suggested they
would during the first attempt I made, I did all this:
Windows 98SE Users:

NOTE: DO NOT INSERT DATATRAVELER I BEFORE THE DRIVER
IS INSTALLED AND SYSTEM HAS REBOOTED!

1. Download the file named "DTI.EXE".

2. Decompress the "DTI.EXE" file by double clicking on it. Extract it to
a location of your choice. Be sure to note the location where the files
are extracted. The default location is c:\temp

3. Double click on the DTI.exe icon in the location from step 2 to start
the installation program.

4. Follow the directions on the screen. Click "Yes" and "Next" where
appropriate.

5. The Install Shield will display a "Please remove DataTraveler 2.0"
information message. Please confirm that the DataTraveler is not
plugged into the USB port, then click OK.

6. Windows will install the appropriate driver for the DataTraveler, then
display: "InstallShield Wizard Complete." You will also be prompted
to restart your computer. Please select "Yes, I want to restart my
computer now" then click Finish.

7. DO NOT INSERT THE DATATRAVELER YET! A driver database
will build itself and you will then receive a message which reads,
"You may insert the DataTraveler 2.0 device at anytime." DO NOT
INSERT THE DATATRAVELER YET! Please click Finish and allow
the computer to completely reboot prior to inserting the DataTraveler
into the USB port.
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
but still when I insert the device nothing happens. If my system can't
even detect the device, then it seems that it wouldn't have been able
to try setting up drivers for it the first time I plugged it in. But if it can
detect the thing, why won't it work now that I have installed the right
driver?

Thanks for any help!
David
Old April 10th 07, 07:01 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Frank McCoy

In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt dh@. wrote:

I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
would work. Having been led to believe it would take
care of everything by itself, when it asked about
drives I just hit the next buttons thinking it would
figure it out.

Um ... That works for Win-XP; but not for Win-98 (as you just found

_________________________________________________ ________
[...]

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â ¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯Â¯
but there is nothing called "Other Devices" that I can find on this
PC, and so there is no Data Traveler listed under "Other Devices".
I'm using Windows 98, not SE afaik, so is that part of it? Will these
things just not work with regular Windows 98?

In Win-98:
Start = Settings = Control Panel = System = Device Manager
The "Other Devices" should show up in this case with a big yellow
question-mark.

BTW: 98, not SE, sucks really bad when it comes to large devices.

--
_____
/ ' / â„¢
Old April 10th 07, 07:30 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
meerkat

dh@. wrote in message ...
I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
would work.

snipped the rest of the post.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263218

Tells you about 98 and USB.

Old April 10th 07, 10:45 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Pipboy

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:01:10 -0500, Frank McCoy wrote:

Um ... That works for Win-XP; but not for Win-98 (as you just found
out).

Works for WinME too which is an updated Win98 so it was half right.
Old April 10th 07, 11:09 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Peter

In article , dh@. says...
I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
would work. Having been led to believe it would take
care of everything by itself, when it asked about
drives I just hit the next buttons thinking it would
figure it out. I was online at the time, and it asked if
I wanted it to find the driver(s) online so I said okay.
It did whatever it did, and I haven't gotten a thing
out of it since. Putting it in does nothing, and I've
been able to find no icons or anything for it, etc.

How long ago did you do this? It may be possible to roll back your
registry to before the original attempt to install, if done soon enough.

Do you know about pressing F8 during startup to give you various boot
options? If you can then do so and select 'command prompt' from the
list. Once at the command prompt type:

scanreg /restore

This should bring up a list of previously saved registry backups.
Hopefully you can roll the registry back to a date before the install.

If you were successful you can install the drivers as per the
instructions and hopefully your memory stick will be detected
successfully afterwards.

--
Pete Ives
Old April 10th 07, 11:26 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dh@.

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:30:39 GMT, "meerkat" wrote:

dh@. wrote in message ...
I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
would work.

snipped the rest of the post.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263218

Tells you about 98 and USB.

Thanks, but I couldn't find anything there that helped.
Old April 10th 07, 11:27 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dh@.

________________________________________________ _________
[...]

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
but there is nothing called "Other Devices" that I can find on this
PC, and so there is no Data Traveler listed under "Other Devices".
I'm using Windows 98, not SE afaik, so is that part of it? Will these
things just not work with regular Windows 98?

In Win-98:
Start = Settings = Control Panel = System = Device Manager
The "Other Devices" should show up in this case with a big yellow
question-mark.

It's not there. No "Other Devices", and I can't find Data Traveler
listed under anything else either.

BTW: 98, not SE, sucks really bad when it comes to large devices.

I don't doubt it but that's what I've got, so I'm trying to make it work.

Old April 10th 07, 11:28 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dh@.

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:09:27 GMT, Peter wrote:

In article , dh@. says...
I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
would work. Having been led to believe it would take
care of everything by itself, when it asked about
drives I just hit the next buttons thinking it would
figure it out. I was online at the time, and it asked if
I wanted it to find the driver(s) online so I said okay.
It did whatever it did, and I haven't gotten a thing
out of it since. Putting it in does nothing, and I've
been able to find no icons or anything for it, etc.

How long ago did you do this?

Yesterday.

It may be possible to roll back your
registry to before the original attempt to install, if done soon enough.

Do you know about pressing F8 during startup to give you various boot
options?

I remember something like that to get into safe mode...
keep tapping F8 while it's booting up and it will eventually
bring up some options?

If you can then do so and select 'command prompt' from the
list. Once at the command prompt type:

scanreg /restore

This should bring up a list of previously saved registry backups.
Hopefully you can roll the registry back to a date before the install.

How?

If you were successful you can install the drivers as per the
instructions and hopefully your memory stick will be detected
successfully afterwards.

So if I do the roll back thing will it uninstall the drivers? Or
do I need to delete them, do try the roll back trick, and then
install them again?
Old April 10th 07, 11:35 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Franc Zabkar

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:45:06 -0400, dh@. put finger to keyboard and
composed:

I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
would work.

Assuming that you can get other USB devices (eg printer, mouse,
scanner) to work, then try the freeware Maximus Decim Native USB
driver pack:

http://rapidshare.com/files/19858514/nusb31e.exe.html

You can also use a Win98 utility called usbview.exe to detect USB
devices even if their drivers are not loaded. Usbview should be on
your Win98 CD.

- Franc Zabkar
Old April 10th 07, 11:35 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
dh@.

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:27:30 -0400, dh@. wrote:

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:01:10 -0500, Frank McCoy wrote:

BTW: 98, not SE, sucks really bad when it comes to large devices.

I don't doubt it but that's what I've got, so I'm trying to make it work.

Oops, I might have been wrong about that. Looking at the general
system properties it says Windows 98 Second Edition 4.10.2222A, so
maybe it will work if I can get it working...

Thumb Drive Jan Dell Computers 9 May 16th 06 04:01 AM
Curious about thumb drive Jim Storage (alternative) 2 December 24th 05 07:42 PM
USB thumb drive fails in W2K nicholas Storage (alternative) 0 May 22nd 05 04:25 AM
looking for VERY SMALL USB thumb drive Thomas Adams Storage (alternative) 2 March 3rd 05 12:01 AM
Sony 512 MB Micro Vault Flash USB 2.0 Drive Pen Thumb Drive ami General Hardware 0 July 2nd 04 05:04 AM