New theory/story: Stray electricity/cross talk low current erased parts of the BIOS.

Old June 5th 07, 09:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design,nl.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck

Default New theory/story: Stray electricity/cross talk low current erased parts of the BIOS.

Hello,

On winbond's website it says it's BIOS chip uses very little
current ?!

This could mean that any accidently current could possible have erased
"sectors" of the bios chip ?!

Plausible ? Hmmm.

Text from the website:

"
The W39V080A is an 8-megabit, 3.3-volt only CMOS flash memory
organized as 1M x 8 bits. For flexible erase capability, the 8Mbits of
data are divided into 16 uniform sectors of 64 Kbytes. The device can
be programmed and erased in-system with a standard 3.3V power supply.
A 12-volt VPP is required for accelerated program.

The unique cell architecture of the W39V080A results in fast program/
erase operations with extremely low current consumption.

This device can operate at two modes, Programmer bus interface mode
and LPC bus interface mode. As in the Programmer interface mode, it
acts like the traditional flash but with a multiplexed address inputs.
But in the LPC interface mode, this device complies with the Intel LPC
specification. The device can also be programmed and erased using
standard EPROM programmers
"

http://www.winbond.com/hq/enu/Produc...h/W39V080A.htm

How easy is it for a random current to erase parts of the bios chip,
that's what I am wondering about !? Hmmmmm

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 5th 07, 10:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design,nl.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck The Destroyer

Default New theory/story: Stray electricity/cross talk low current erased parts of the BIOS. (Better erasure code ? Handy calculator tip too !)

Hi,

I just learned/discovered something =D

At least on my Windows XP Pro 32 bit operating system the calculator
in scientific mode has a special "bin" radio button.

The calculator can actually display values as binaries !!!!

WIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Never knew that !!!

Very handy !

I am not sure what the erase code is for the bios chip:

http://www.winbond.com/hq/enu/Produc...h/W39V080A.htm

Maybe it's:

AA 55 80 AA 55 ? (hex probably )

That would be binary:

1010 1010 0101 0101 1000 0000 1010 1010 0101 0101

Doesn't seem to safe to me ?

Pretty random... maybe random killed it.

Hmmm I wonder how "safe" this code really is...

Maybe something less random ?

How about:

1111 1111 0000 0000 1001 1001 0000 0000 1111 1111

Looks more safe to me

In hex that would be:

FF009900FF

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 5th 07, 10:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design,nl.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

http://www.winbond.com/hq/enu/Produc...nes/FlashMemor...

How easy is it for a random current to erase parts of the bios chip,
that's what I am wondering about !? Hmmmmm

Bye,
Skybuck.

Hi Skybuck,

The odds of an CMOS flash BIOS having an over current issue is limited
to situations where the machine receives a massive static shock or a
power surge. Otherwise the chip is protected by the motherboards
ground and it usually requires multiple voltage switches on various
leads to enable programming mode. So the odds are pretty low.

I hope this answers your question.

~Kaizoman

Old June 6th 07, 12:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design,nl.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck

On Jun 5, 11:56 pm, wrote:
On Jun 5, 2:45 pm, Skybuck wrote:

[...]

~Kaizoman- Hide quoted text -

Here is theory A:

The Logitech G3 mouse or mouse driver completely freezes Windows X64
Pro OS at random, which forced me to "pull the plug" so to speak
(turning off power supply), ofcourse first I tried the reset buttons
which did not respond anymore !!!???

That is kinda odd in it self: non responding reset buttons ?!?!

Are the designers to scared to do a simple reset (power off/power
on) ?

Or is something else preventing a (proper) reset ?

During one of these reboots a power surge happened and erased parts of
the bios.

Here is theory B:

While connecting the internet cable to the ethernet controller/chip
some electricity from the network cable/plug entered the computer/
motherboard in a uncontrollable way and damaged something.

Somehow the damage was unnoticed until much later.

(I don't believe in this theory... but maybe it could happen

Variation of C:

Overload of network signals from Cable Modem.

Maybe Cable Modem got electrically loaded via static electricity from
shoes while I was near it.

Sounds a little bit more plausible.

Further variation of C:

External sources overloaded network cable.

Mobile theory:

Mobiles caused bit to jump/get flashed/get radiated

Ok now I am getting a little spooky and out of control =D euh out of
my mind ?

I still don't know if the bios chip is dead.

I hope I can get my hands on a new bios chip real soon, because I
realllly wanna found out =D

Thanks for your post...

Also the manual of the bios chip confirms your story...

They scared during power up and power down situations...

Also the manual says don't use in critical applications LOL.

What does that make my computer ?

Non-critical-nonsense LOL.

Crap-for-retards LOL

No mister winbond I DONT THINK SO =D

My computer is LOVE MACHINE FOR CRITICAL LOVE SITUATIONS.

WITHOUT LOVE THE WORLD WILL HATEFULLY SELF DESTRUCT =D

I would call that pretty critical =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 6th 07, 08:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design,nl.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck

Default New theory/story: Stray electricity/cross talk low current erased parts of the BIOS. (evidence: sound corruption)

I present to you evidence which supports this theory:

1. Sound corruption during playback.

Reported by many users/buyers of this motherboard.
(Cross talk from speaker/buzzer/audio)

2. Buzzer extremely close to bios chip.

Remarkble how none of the reviewers report about sound corruption
while there is a massive ammount of buyers who have witnessed this
problem with this board.

That can mean two things:

1. Reviewers don't test well.

2. Reviewers don't tell the whole thruth.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 7th 07, 03:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design,nl.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bhagat Gurtu

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 12:45:08 -0700, Skybuck wrote:

.... snipped ****

Spurious sound in the audio can just mean that you don't have effective DC
filtering in the supply to the sound chip, i.e you bought a ****
motherboard because you didn't know any better.

It is unlikely with your obviously very low IQ that your are ever going
to get to the bottom of the problem, so my advice to you is to top
yourself today.

Old June 7th 07, 04:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design,nl.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Eeyore

Skybuck wrote:

How easy is it for a random current to erase parts of the bios chip,
that's what I am wondering about !? Hmmmmm

You're an ignorant stupid prick.

Graham

Old June 7th 07, 07:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design,nl.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Bhagat Gurtu

No he is more than that, he is an accomplished ****wit.

Old June 7th 07, 07:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,sci.electronics.design,nl.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
johns

Yes, it happens. It use to be a much worse problem
than it is today, but it can happen if your circuit is
not protected from magnetic fields which can induce
high currents in any conductor loop. The worst offender
in this catagory is an unshielded crappy motor, like
a cheap vaccuum cleaner with only a plastic housing.
Such a motor can produce a rotating magnetic field
that can produce very high surge currents in logic
circuits ... generally blowing the crap out of them.
Good idea to keep those kinds of circuits in a
shielded box, and well grounded.

johns