DVDdrive reads as cd drive in xp?

Old March 28th 07, 04:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
Dean G.

Default DVDdrive reads as cd drive in xp?

rising wrote:
I have got a weird problem where windows xp keeps recognizing my dvd's as
cd's in my dvdwriter, if I go to erase one of my rewriteable dvd's in
windows explorer it only gives me the option to erase a cdrw and it
therefore does not work. The biggest problem I am having though is it taking
a really long time to access a rewriteable dvd when I first put it in the
drive and one disc is never recognized because the accessing attempts seem
to time out before it manages to access it. This dvdwriter was working fine
when it was in my old win98 machine but in this newly built machine with
winxp I am having this problem and I can't figure out why, is it a software
problem or some sort of hardware incompatibility problem, I would think it
would be software. Anyhow the dvdwriter is a lg4163b, there are no firmware
updates available for it, it is running on the secondary ide channel as a
master and there is nothing on the primary ide not that that should make any
difference, my harddrive is sata. Also i have nero installed but not incd.
Winxp is using ntfs. Any type of dvd comes up as a cd in windowsexplorer
although only some rewriteables are having trouble with accessing so it's
all rather confusing because it looks like hardware in some ways but I need
to eliminate the software problems before I consider if there is any
hardware trouble. Googling has not been of any help so would really
appreciate some ideas on this problem.
winxp has sp2 applied
And the dvd's I am having trouble with are not multisession and were not
recorded on with packet recording, i.e incd etc...

You mention checking for firmware updates, so I'll assume you already
have updated to the latest driver. If not, do that now.

You mention that you had the drive in an older PC and it worked fine.
Are you using the same media ? Many of the newer DVD drives handle all
the different media formats, but many older drives did not. Some
Drives will only work with a few kinds of media, and trying to use DVD
+R in a DVD-R drive may not work. There are several different formats,
and matching the media to what the drive handles is important.

Second, If there is nothing on the primary channel IDE, have you
considered or tried switching it over ?

Finally, if it isn't working correctly from Explorer, have you tried
using a DVD program to erase it ?

Dean G.

Old March 28th 07, 10:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
rising

"Dean G." wrote in message
ups.com...
rising wrote:
[...]

Yep, the same media.

Second, If there is nothing on the primary channel IDE, have you
considered or tried switching it over ?

I have considered it but see no logical reason for this to be a problem, I
guess I might give it a go at some stage though if nothing else comes up,
bloody pain getting my computer case out of it's desk cupboard though.

Finally, if it isn't working correctly from Explorer, have you tried
using a DVD program to erase it ?

Yep, quick erase did not seem to work but full erase did I think.