VGA to tv out help

Old September 18th 06, 07:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default VGA to tv out help

I have a geforce 6200 that i am using in a home theater PC through the
s-video out connection. The picture quality isn't great but not bad
either. I found this adapter on the internet that is supposed to
convert VGA to either s-video or RCA but i cant get it to work.
thought maybe it would improve the picture over the s-video connection.

http://www.computercasesandcables.co...?mv_pc=froogle

it does say that it works with MOST video cards and some do not support
it. i am not able to make it work with my video card. If I connect my
htpc to my tv using this the picture is black and white and rolling.
also no clear picture that is recognizable. I did a little research on
the internet and found mention of a way to tell the video card to
output a tv usable signal from the VGA port. does anyone know how to
do this or if it is even possible on a geforce 6200?

thanks for any help,

Steve

Old September 18th 06, 09:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Tom Scales

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Not answering your question, as I don't know, but I'd be shocked if the
results were better than your 6200. nvidia does a pretty good job with
S-video. The problem is that S-video isn't very good.

I'm migrating to HD and the difference is stunning.

Tom

Old September 18th 06, 11:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos

Tom Scales wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I've seen those types of homegrown cables; they have severe limitations
(only good for very short distances of less than 10ft) and look like
crap anyway. There's a reason your card manufacturer put a NTSC encoder
chip onboard instead of a dongle...

Any composite signal is going to have far less clarity than an
equivalent VGA signal. There's no way of getting around it. The best
you can do is use an expensive scanline conversion unit (like TV
stations and media production companies use). These are generally
several hundred dollars for less than XVGA (1024x768) resolution and
you're still only going to get a picture as good as the TV it's shown on.

The next step is component output. Many newer GF6 and 7 cards have
component (YPbPr) output via a dongle like in this pic:

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggIma...130-017-05.jpg

This is basically how you can use an HDTV as a monitor. Component video
separates all the chroma channels and is very clean. Also if you have a
set that takes DVI input, you're ready to go without any conversion.

So for a home theater setup, an inexpensive LCD HDTV/display and
progressive output via DVI works great.
Old September 19th 06, 01:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Steve

Thanks for all the information. I greatly appreciate it. The geforce
6200 came with a tv out dongle that has both s-video and component out.
The s-video really isnt that bad but i didn't really want to have to
buy an HDTV right now to get a better picture. Guess I'll start a fund
to get one!

Kind of a seperate question, like i said I am using a 6200 in my HTPC
right now. I am building a new computer for my office that has PCI
express so i will have an extra 6800 here soon. will this give me
better video than the 6200 or are the TV out chips on them pretty much
the same?

Old September 19th 06, 01:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Tom Scales

"Steve" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for all the information. I greatly appreciate it. The geforce
6200 came with a tv out dongle that has both s-video and component out.
The s-video really isnt that bad but i didn't really want to have to
buy an HDTV right now to get a better picture. Guess I'll start a fund
to get one!

Kind of a seperate question, like i said I am using a 6200 in my HTPC
right now. I am building a new computer for my office that has PCI
express so i will have an extra 6800 here soon. will this give me
better video than the 6200 or are the TV out chips on them pretty much
the same?

I'd be surprised if you could see much difference.

Tom

Old September 19th 06, 11:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos

Steve wrote:
Thanks for all the information. I greatly appreciate it. The geforce
6200 came with a tv out dongle that has both s-video and component out.
The s-video really isnt that bad but i didn't really want to have to
buy an HDTV right now to get a better picture. Guess I'll start a fund
to get one!

Kind of a seperate question, like i said I am using a 6200 in my HTPC
right now. I am building a new computer for my office that has PCI
express so i will have an extra 6800 here soon. will this give me
better video than the 6200 or are the TV out chips on them pretty much
the same?

Probably very similar, and any kind of composite signal output will look
like crap. There's really a limit at how much resolution you get from
it (measured in analog lines given the luma resolution).

Since the GF6 most BIOS's don't identify the specific TV encoder chip,
they usually only say "NVIDIA Integrated". But this is actually some
reference spec Conexant encoder. I'm pretty sure the GF6 series used
one of the later CX chips, but since Conexant does make a 10-bit analog
encoder, you might find slightly better quality on GF7 series cards if
they use it. The newer 10-bit chips have combing filters and are more
accurate at color reproduction, so you get a minimal increase in overall
quality.

Blah.. babbling on... short answer is no.