A64 dual CPU MS Patch?

Old January 4th 06, 07:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Default A64 dual CPU MS Patch?

I've purchased a A64 4400 x2 cpu - do I need any patches from MS ?

I'm using MS XP Pro SP2.

Old January 5th 06, 01:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

Basically, nothing additional is needed.

A couple of months ago, I swapped an X2 CPU into a system that had
previously had a single core (Newcastle) processor installed. XP Home SP2
detected the new CPU and automatically installed the new multi-processor
HAL. (XP home doesn't support multiple sockets, but it'll support a dual
core CPU in a single-socket mainboard.)

A new install of XP should work as well.

AMD offers some dual-core "drivers" for download, but all that they seem to
do is allow Windows to clock down the CPU when it is idle. That would be of
more interest on a laptop machine. I haven't tried them on my desktop.

Old January 8th 06, 06:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64

There is a patch available that addresses problems some games have running
on a dual core cpu.Depends on if you're a gamer or not.