PSU load tester

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 29th 06, 08:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default PSU load tester

Hi all,

I'm soon to be reviewing a new 750W psu but I don't have anything for load..
I have seen heavy mention of wire wound power resistors of 'various values'
but no mention of what those values are. I can get various load resistors
of around 100ohm/10W from ebay.. but oviously 100ohm isn't gonna be
sufficient.. I'm not sure if 10W is heavy enough either..

Any suggestions on the values I should use to create a good load... I'm
talking like 600W+ at least.. and if I can setup multiple banks of
resistors that would be good too so I can have 100W, 200W, 350W, 500W, etc..

Just to be clear I want a _load tester_ not a $10 PSU tester that tells me
if it's dead or alive..

I have a good DMM and will probably buy a second so I can measure V and A
simultaneously.. I also plan on getting a Kill-A-Watt P3 meter.. so the load
tester is the only real concern I have..

Thanks in advance..

Chris