Mean ol' Logitech Marble Trackman

Old May 24th 19, 05:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Mean ol' Logitech Marble Trackman

Finally figured, after destroying several of them, what it takes to
toughen them up.

Several months ago, I also caught one a sale for half off. I have two
prime working units.

The trackball unit has four click relay buttons, assignable with
Logitech software to goes back to mythological ancient history:
Pre-XP and XP Logitech software drivers still work on current Marble
Trackball iterations.

They're paired buttons. On the right-most, the largest surface area
and main button;- above and near the center apex, the so-called
palm-resting area, is one of the two small buttons, perhaps a 20th the
size smaller of the former.

Use the software to define *both* these buttons for the Windows
main-selection mouse action, whereas on the other and left side,
define the larger of the two for the properties-button Windows'
assignment. The left smaller button is actually inaccessible, poorly
thought-out, for any practical intent and difficult to intuitively
locate from finger memory.

I'm right handed, but place the Trackball to the left of the keypad,
which I found best to accustom myself to this arrangement.

That right-most and smaller of the two button, anyway, I suspect may
be a sturdier anchor design placement and one less prone to fail
tolerances, intermittently to cease to work, as is the case with its
counterpoint, the larger-area actuator.

Additionally, is to consider, when the smaller does eventually fail,
by not using the same-defined larger actuator, at that point,
switching to the larger would serve for a secondary and back-up
Windows main-selection button.

Since I'd formerly replaced mine every year, to two years and hardly
more, after the larger indeed did fail, this arrangement promotes to
auger twice the possible longevity for continued usage.

Any longer, I simply haven't the patience to deal with Logitech,
which, after the rigors of automated web services, variously to some
extent, is favorably disposed by design to filter some product
dissatisfaction. That being said, it is then easily enough
determined, having duly followed and dealt from a web-centric Logitech
CS, they will regardless compound advantage from return shipping
charges the company administers to dissatisfied customers.

Other, that is, than to qualifiedly temper this Trackball as the only
decent one made in the world that I care to use from a $15US sale, at
half off, on the back-up unit I from prior experience am now adamantly
anticipating.
Old May 25th 19, 04:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Friday, May 24, 2019 at 12:58:23 PM UTC-4, Flasherly wrote:

Other, that is, than to qualifiedly temper this Trackball as the only
decent one made in the world that I care to use from a $15US sale, at
half off, on the back-up unit I from prior experience am now adamantly
anticipating.

Wow, a trackball. I tried to use one once, and it was like balancing a bunch of spinning dinner plates. Acrobatics.

RL
Old May 25th 19, 05:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 24 May 2019 20:04:10 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99
wrote:

Wow, a trackball. I tried to use one once, and it was like balancing
a bunch of spinning dinner plates. Acrobatics.

-
And that ain't but the half of it.

The earlier Logitech software for their Trackball was well-written
software compared to their new drivers. Back in "the day", before
touch screens, androids, and whatnot. I guess selling a mouse once
meant something.

That software allows for either right- or left-handed trackball
"orientation", which is actually sophisticated.

Then comes the finger memory, or the whole "key" to it. It's the same
mechanics as playing a musical instrument from a score -- your hands
eventually become used to it, to return the correct positions
intuitively.

Left-handed for a right-hand person means, importantly, (even more
with the bigger 101-keyboard), there's less reaching over two sets of
a number kaypad and navigational array with the right hand.

The left hand falls, as it were, simply and quickest, off of the left
side the keyboard and onto the trackball: The very least possible
distance at the shortest time for highest efficiency.

See how easy that was that you've only two notes now to remember:
Note1: Click Enter and Note2: Click Properties.

Bon appétit !