Hard Drive Problem Parameter is Incorrect

Old October 25th 16, 01:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Hard Drive Problem Parameter is Incorrect

This makee no sense.

I have W10 on a 160GB C: internal hard drive and my data on a D:
320GB internal hard drive. Both are set up as shared with my other W7
PC and vice versa. The networking workks partially, from W10 PC to W7
PC, but not in reverse. One day I will find out why.

Meanwhile - Windows Explorer on my W10 PC shows the C: and D: drives
just fine, but also shows three other drives L:, M:, and N: all with
same disk label as C: drive. When I try to look at the content of the
latters, I get an error:

Drive not accessible
The parameter is incorrect

Drive Management does not show any of the three drives. I thought to
delete them, but I can't.

I would like to remove said three drives. I have no idea why W10
Windows Explorer thinks they exist.

Anyone?

Sol
Old October 25th 16, 02:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
[...]

A suggestion here, is a similar problem disappeared
after Win10 was completely shut down (i.e. not just
kernel hibernated, but fully shut down).

http://superuser.com/questions/99618...-drive-letters

But your root cause is different than theirs. While you
could use "mountvol" to list the GUID of each drive
letter in usage at the moment, you would likely be
hard-pressed to use the GUID in a Regedit search, and
figure out where that thing is coming from.

Just type

mountvol

with no arguments, to list the current drive letters.

And I'm not really all that confident, that there is
a utility that can track down every phantom entry. I've
seen some stuff in Windows, where a diagnostic tool finds
an "unlabeled" item, and you can't even trace it to a
process or driver of any sort. So there are some things
which scarily, lack the details needed.

Another ref. here regarding "Fast Start".

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

shutdown /s /f /t 0

I presume that requires administrator, so I'd probably
do that in an Administrator Command Prompt.

Paul