newbie oc question

Old December 31st 03, 11:54 PM
Rob Thompson

Default newbie oc question

I have a GA-7VAX with a Barton 2500, 512 PC2700, working fine @ 1827mhz and
smooth performance. I want to bump up performance a little but aren't sure
exactly what to do. In the BIOS for freq/volt control when I change the FSB
freq I get a box that says 'key in a DEC number, min 166 max 250' is this
just asking to raise the FSB freq? The pci/agp is at 33/66, dram at 166,
ddr 333. My MB switches are set for auto, and Eazytune 4 reports my
multiplier locked at 11. I've read ET4 sucks and to use the BIOS instead,
is that correct?

--
Rob Thompson

Old January 1st 04, 04:24 AM
Amir Facade

"Rob Thompson" wrote in message
I have a GA-7VAX with a Barton 2500, 512 PC2700, working fine @ 1827mhz

and
smooth performance. I want to bump up performance a little but aren't

sure
exactly what to do. In the BIOS for freq/volt control when I change the

FSB
freq I get a box that says ,is this
just asking to raise the FSB freq? The pci/agp is at 33/66, dram at 166,
ddr 333. My MB switches are set for auto, and Eazytune 4 reports my
multiplier locked at 11. I've read ET4 sucks and to use the BIOS instead,
is that correct?

--
Rob Thompson

That board is a great stable board, but when you raise the FSB it also
raises the PCI and AGP buses. Sooo, you are going to be limited to what your
Video card or memory or any other PCI devices you have attached can take in
the way of over clocking.
Best way to overclock on that board is to raise the Multiplier if you are
lucky enough to have an unlocked CPU. Otherwise you need an nForce board or
one that locks the busses while allowing the FSB to change.
Yes, 'key in a DEC number, min 166 max 250' is the FSB setting.

Old January 1st 04, 03:17 PM
Rob Thompson

"Amir Facade" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the info. I have the MB switches set to Auto, but can I bump the
muliplier by setting the switches to 12.5?
BTW the MB has the F10 bios if that makes any difference. When I get the
box to raise the FSB the pci/agp is grayed out, so does it stay locked or
will it raise regardless?

Old January 1st 04, 09:03 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 14:17:10 +0000, Rob Thompson wrote:

"Amir Facade" wrote in message
"Rob Thompson" wrote in message
I have a GA-7VAX with a Barton 2500, 512 PC2700, working fine @ 1827mhz

That board is a great stable board, but when you raise the FSB it also
raises the PCI and AGP buses. Sooo, you are going to be limited to what

Thanks for the info. I have the MB switches set to Auto, but can I bump the
muliplier by setting the switches to 12.5?

Changing the multiplier to 12.5 will give you a 2800+ (assuming the cpu
isn't locked). If you want a little more, setting the FBS to 176 will give
you 2200MHz and shouldn't be a problem for most PCI/AGP devices.