Boy am I dumb

Old January 20th 06, 06:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Boy am I dumb

I have the XPS generation 5. I purchased a hard drive from Dell. I
connected it to what I thought was Drive 1, turned on the Sata drive and
just got "unknown Device". I either had the wrong hard drive or I
thought it was no good. Please understand the Dimension XPS systems
look very much different to any of the other systems I have.

Well I used the Dell talk to system to explain my problem. That took a
few minutes. They gave me XPS phone number and the numbers and words to
say and have my express code to punch in. I got a gentlemen from India
who spoke very clear English. In less then 10 minutes he had got the
drive up and formatted.

I never noticed there were 4 slots to put the blue cable in. I had used
the #2 slot, but open up Sata Slot #1.

I know I could have come to the news group and certainly got the answers
from the Dell experts, but I thought with all the complaints about
Dell's tech service I'd try them first.

I'm a happy camper :-)

By the way I also purchased another 1GB of memory. Got that in OK but
you have to use 20 pounds of pressure. I'm old and that wasn't easy.

Glad I bought the XPS G5. Maybe if you buy the best you get the best.

Joan

Old January 20th 06, 10:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Joan Hansen wrote:
[...]

Don't let that bother you, I have built many systems, but when I
received my E510 I looked inside and it hit me. All the cables were just
long enough to reach there component. I had to buy extension cables to
install my media reader/floppy. I sat there for 40 minutes just looking
like a deer in headlights. Also I want to put another SATA drive in and
found the power cable is set up to just reach another drive, I just hope
the next drive is not a millimeter off or I am stuck.

Old January 20th 06, 11:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Joel wrote:

Joan Hansen wrote:

[...]

I know just how you feel. Mine was an easier fix but if I installed
another hard drive I don't know where the power cable is. I only see
one. The blue SATA cables would be long enough the reach the outlet.
Old January 21st 06, 01:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Joan Hansen wrote:

Joel wrote:

Joan Hansen wrote:

[...]

I got my network back. :-) Yippee

new card dumb question Dave Nvidia Videocards 5 May 13th 05 10:43 AM
Is this true about Canon printhead? Patrick Printers 85 May 11th 05 06:41 PM
Dumb question - SB Irda + uses David Illingworth-Young Creative Sound Blaster Cards 2 March 7th 05 10:13 AM
Dumb CPU question sticks General 1 June 21st 04 11:14 PM
Dumb questions... Impmon Printers 0 April 30th 04 07:59 AM