GA-Z87X-UD5H & GA-Z87X-UD4H and video outputs

Old February 22nd 14, 03:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Jim[_38_]

Default GA-Z87X-UD5H & GA-Z87X-UD4H and video outputs

I'm stuck between one of these mainboards right now and apart from 2
LAN's, 2 extra SATA 6 ports there does not seem to be much between them.

However there is one issue i'm unsure off and how it could effect me in
the future and it's to do with using onboard video from the CPU (still
don't know what cpu to get yet), my current monitor only has VGA or DVI
for connections so i use DVI right now from my video card (HD6450) and
HDMI part of card to the tv to watch stuff from the pc on the TV and
that works fine for now but when i move over to the Z87 chipset I
presume both boards will run DVI for monitor ok AND the HDMI to TV will
work fine as well.

However what happens when i change my monitor in the future and i
suspect monitor will only take HDMI with both the GA-Z87X-UD5H &
GA-Z87X-UD4H be able to output to both HDMI's, i know the GA-Z87X-UD5H
has 2 HDMI sockets but GA-Z87X-UD4H only has one and something called a
display port which i have never heard of before any advice is welcome.

JIm
Old February 22nd 14, 04:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Jim wrote:
[...]

DisplayPort, some of them support dual mode operation.

In such a case, a passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapter can be
used. Such a solution should handle 1920x1200 with reduced
blanking (suited to an LCD), but I can't say whether
higher resolutions are possible. I don't know if the intention
of dual-mode DisplayPort is to go to 340MHz or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displayport

"However, Dual-Mode DisplayPorts are designed to transmit
a single-link DVI or HDMI 1.2/1.4 protocol across the
interface through the use of an external passive adapter
that selects the desired signal and converts the electrical
signaling from LVDS to TMDS. Analog VGA and dual-link DVI
require powered active adapters to convert the protocol and
signal levels, and do not rely on Dual-Mode. VGA adapters
are powered by the DisplayPort connector, while dual-link
DVI adapters may rely on an external power source (see
compatibility with HDMI, DVI and VGA)."

You can try to line up some of the text in that article,
with this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi#Version_1.4

The 165MHz clock, gets you to 1920x1200. Running at 340MHz
on HDMI, would take you to a higher resolution (at 60Hz).
So the DisplayPort should get you to at least 1920x1200.

The pixel clock is a bit of a misnomer. For each clock tick,
around ten bits are sent on the cable. So when they say "340MHz",
that is 3.4Gbits/sec on each differential pair. So it's actually
a pretty high speed. The clock must be multiplied up, when it
comes across the cable, to do the sampling. I'm not sure how
the sampling mechanism works (how the clock phase is adjusted).

R 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 \
G 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 \__ Enough for a 3x8bit RGB pixel
B 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 / 10 bit pattern decoded to 8 actual bits ?
_________
Clk _________| |

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8B10B

So that's to give you some idea when reading the article,
why some "stuff" is in MHz and some in GHz. It depends on
whether they're referencing "bits" on the cable, or the
clock pattern. The clock would be multiplied by ten, to make
a means to sample each bit value. And the phase needs to be
adjusted, so the sampling is dead center (spot with largest
eye opening), on the waveforms on the cable. The reason
for making 10 bit patterns, to carry 8 bits of data, is
for DC balance (a bit is sent, just to make the number of
ones and zeros close to equal)

The higher the clock rate on the cable, the shorter the
max length of the HDMI cable. In case you were headed
off to another room with that signal. For a monitor next
to the computer, this should not be a problem. It's only
when it comes to selecting "premium" cables to reach the
TV in the next room, you're in "wallet emptying mode".
So in many ways, HDMI and VGA have equivalent problems - on
VGA, the usable resolution drops, the further away you
try to go, and something similar is happening on HDMI.
But VGA is analog and HDMI is digital, so quite different
in how the signal is getting there, and how gradual or
abrupt any cable length issues are. HDMI gets "snow" on the
screen, when the cable is too long.

HTH,
Paul
Old March 1st 14, 06:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Jim[_38_]

On 22/02/2014 15:21, Paul wrote:
Jim wrote:
[...]

What the hell was I doing posting about Gigabyte boards in an Asus group?

These late nights were doing me in, sorry for the huge delay in getting
back to you Paul, Well i have finally got my head round things and just
bought an Asus Z87 Deluxe with an i7-4770K and 16GB of RAM, I'll be
using IGP so no need for video card and i have bought my Display Port
adaptor so that is on the way, so no doubt i'll be posting here later LOL.

once again sorry for delay and thanks for all your help.

Jim