Ebuyer's Shipping Policy

Old December 14th 04, 08:07 PM
Stuart

Default Ebuyer's Shipping Policy

Does Ebuyer have an odd way of shipping ? .I ordered an item,a PSU,a week
ago and it was due to be delivered today,and it did arrive by Citylink but
it only shipped yesterday so it was an ovenight delivery .It seems that
customers state the date the order has to be received by and the shipping
costs are based on that and shipping is then,if necessary, delayed so that
the order arrives on that day .....Not the way most companies opertae in
my experience ...
Stuart
---------

Remove YOURPANTS before E-mailing Me
Old December 14th 04, 09:06 PM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:07:54 +0000, Stuart
wrote:

Does Ebuyer have an odd way of shipping ? .I ordered an item,a PSU,a week
ago and it was due to be delivered today,and it did arrive by Citylink but
it only shipped yesterday so it was an ovenight delivery .It seems that
customers state the date the order has to be received by and the shipping
costs are based on that and shipping is then,if necessary, delayed so that
the order arrives on that day .....Not the way most companies opertae in
my experience ...
Stuart
---------

By coincidence, I had some stuff turn up from EBuyer today. Also
ordered several days ago.

However, one of the items ordered, an Antec case, arrived the day
after the order was placed.

I have had stuff from Ebuyer well within the specified time.

I suspect that they are hit by the Christmas rush rather than sitting
on things.

Michael Kenward Words for sale
Old December 14th 04, 09:38 PM
hissing

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:20:07 +0000, Fat Freddy's Cat wrote:

Also, I believe ebuyer do use overnight all the time and 'hold' the
goods as described by Stuart - I don't find that a problem as long as
they arrive when they should.

I don't know for sure, but I vaguely remember reading this some time ago
on this very group and there was some explanation for doing so.

My guessing is that if you book all the overnight deliveries a week in
advance then the courier knows how much they have to ship and it lowers
their costs accordingly (i.e. they know to send either a small van or 20
large lorries) as they don't get any surprises on the day.

Old December 14th 04, 10:29 PM
Black Shuck

On 14/12/2004 20:38 hissing got up from the bar and shouted..:
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:20:07 +0000, Fat Freddy's Cat wrote:

Also, I believe ebuyer do use overnight all the time and 'hold' the
goods as described by Stuart - I don't find that a problem as long as
they arrive when they should.

I don't know for sure, but I vaguely remember reading this some time ago
on this very group and there was some explanation for doing so.

My guessing is that if you book all the overnight deliveries a week in
advance then the courier knows how much they have to ship and it lowers
their costs accordingly (i.e. they know to send either a small van or 20
large lorries) as they don't get any surprises on the day.

Top tip, this time of year (i,e, busy) it's best to order super saver,
as chances are they want the warehouse space, and upgrade it FOC to nect
day... Or hold it for a while and then send it..

--
"This dog don't give a feck..."
Old December 14th 04, 10:37 PM
MrMcauber

I think I can explain this...

I think you will find that most of these online stores usually drop
ship straight from the distributor, there are 4 or 5 big ones in the
UK that do this.

However, drop ship charges are quite high, I think around 8UKP+VAT for
the one I know of. But, if a seller like Ebuyer can group a few days
orders together in one shipment to their offices, the costs of postage
for each item will be significantly less than 8UKP! Ebuyer probably
then just re ship via their own carrier whom charge less (bear in mind
the distributor will pay less than 8UKP for shipment but have added a
lump of service charge ontop too) - so effectively you get it cheaper
by waiting a few days longer.

I suspect Ebuyer will have some "urgent" or "priority" shiiping method
which will be more or less overnight - select that and i would be
suprised if it does not work out around 8UKP+VAT! In this case your
item will probably be drop shipped straight from the distributor!

I suspect the bigger retailers will get significantly better prices
for their goods and will be able to absorb some of those shipping
costs into their price, also when the distrinutors sell stuff on
special offer terms, they probably shell out a few 100k and buy to
store at their own premises so they can sell for even better prices.

I notice quite often when I am shopping around that different stores
have exactly the same level of stock of the same item.... more of a
coincidence, the reason for this is that they link directly into the
distributors systems (EDI - Electronic Data Interchange) and get real
time stock levels. Your order probably gets sent straight to the
distributor whom then does the drop shipping, hence low over heads and
better prices for you.

As for Ebuyers "multiple warehouses" I suspect this would probably be
more accurate if it read "multiple distributors"

Old December 15th 04, 12:24 AM
Jeremiah Harbottle

Argh, EDI! I had to write some software once to convert that stuff into
database data - but in true "standard" form it was all different..
(Used XML stylesheets in the end.)

Old December 15th 04, 01:10 AM
MrMcauber

The distributors are so keen to get the information out there now that
they provide it in various formats, csv, xml and so on so that you can
pull it straight into a DB and power your webstore! All you needt do
is work out your % markup and your pretty much in business. Its almost
like most of these companies are affiliates for the distributors
rather than stores in the true sense. Of course its not entirely that
simple as I am sure they will buy some stuff in bulk to get a better
price, and of course they probably all use more than one distributor
so they need to pull all that data together and make it work.

Somewhere in there they probably add a bit of customer support too,
though i dont have any conclyusive proof of that bit! :-)

Old December 21st 04, 02:48 PM
Iain Archer

MrMcauber wrote on Tue, 14 Dec 2004
I think I can explain this...

I think you will find that most of these online stores usually drop
ship straight from the distributor, there are 4 or 5 big ones in the
UK that do this.

However, drop ship charges are quite high, I think around 8UKP+VAT for
the one I know of. But, if a seller like Ebuyer can group a few days
orders together in one shipment to their offices, the costs of postage
for each item will be significantly less than 8UKP! Ebuyer probably
then just re ship via their own carrier whom charge less (bear in mind
the distributor will pay less than 8UKP for shipment but have added a
lump of service charge ontop too) - so effectively you get it cheaper
by waiting a few days longer.

I put in an order early last Tuesday morning for 19 items, five of which
were DVD/CD media. 18 items were marked down for despatch from Ebuyer,
delivery by Friday, and duly arrived on that day. The other, a GBP3 box
of Maxell DVD+Rs, was for dropshipping. I was told by email on the
Tuesday evening that it had been despatched, and it arrived by van the
next day!
--
Iain Archer To email, please use Reply-To address
Old December 22nd 04, 02:31 AM
Mark S.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:48:19 +0000, Iain Archer
wrote:

[...]

Ridiculous... I hope you complained. ;-)

Mark S.