Game rig vendors

Old December 12th 04, 05:54 PM
al

Default Game rig vendors

Anyone got any particular comments on UK game rig vendors such as Alienware
or SavRow (or any others)? Interested to hear from anyone who owns such
systems or has had dealings with them.

Old December 12th 04, 07:40 PM
Conor

In article al says...
Anyone got any particular comments on UK game rig vendors such as Alienware
or SavRow (or any others)? Interested to hear from anyone who owns such
systems or has had dealings with them.

Build you're own. You're paying a serious premium for the case badge.

--
Conor

A man alone in the forest is talking to himself and no women around to
hear him. Is he still wrong?
Old December 12th 04, 09:14 PM
recursor

"Conor" wrote in message
. ..
In article al says...
Anyone got any particular comments on UK game rig vendors such as Alienware
or SavRow (or any others)? Interested to hear from anyone who owns such
systems or has had dealings with them.

Build you're own. You're paying a serious premium for the case badge.

and the paint

Old December 13th 04, 09:29 AM
al

"recursor" wrote in message
Build you're own. You're paying a serious premium for the case badge.

and the paint

That's certainly true of SavRow!!!

Actually, putting all the components together, there's not *that* much of a
premium. And I really don't get a kick out of building my own PC these days
either so I'm not fussed about that. I like the convenience of getting a
soak tested machine with perfect internal cabling and nice quiet innards ...

I'm interested in hearing how much that premium's worth though from those
who may have paid it?

Old December 13th 04, 10:55 PM
ThePunisher

al wrote:
"recursor" wrote in message
Build you're own. You're paying a serious premium for the case
badge.

and the paint

That's certainly true of SavRow!!!

Actually, putting all the components together, there's not *that*
much of a premium. And I really don't get a kick out of building my
own PC these days either so I'm not fussed about that. I like the
convenience of getting a soak tested machine with perfect internal
cabling and nice quiet innards ...

I'm interested in hearing how much that premium's worth though from
those who may have paid it?

I went to Alienware's site and put together a pc for £1776.48 I went to
Ebuyer and put together the same pc(exact same parts but lookalike case) for
£1376.02 so really, your paying £400.46 for an Alienware case.

--
ThePunisher

Old December 13th 04, 11:29 PM

"ThePunisher" wrote in message
t...
al wrote:
"recursor" wrote in message
[...]

Since when does any vendor supply PC's with....
"perfect internal cabling"..I think not!

Most built systems I've seen look as if the owner's 12 year old son or
daughter has assembled them!!

Old December 14th 04, 12:08 AM
ThePunisher

al wrote:
"recursor" wrote in message
[...]

Remember they charge £7 for this miracle :-)

--
ThePunisher

Old December 14th 04, 12:38 AM
recursor

al wrote:
"recursor" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah Apple really show the way from the tidy cable point of view, sometimes when I'm doing a build I
keep a pic of an iMac handy for inspiration but it's impossible to get close, I always seem to end
up with the usual pc tangle that the system buiders do. Sata cables have helped a bit though.

Old December 14th 04, 09:35 AM
Gama Chameleon

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 23:38:28 -0000, "recursor"
wrote:

snip

Remember they charge £7 for this miracle :-)

Yeah Apple really show the way from the tidy cable point of view, sometimes when I'm doing a build I
keep a pic of an iMac handy for inspiration but it's impossible to get close, I always seem to end
up with the usual pc tangle that the system buiders do. Sata cables have helped a bit though.

Yeah, but all those rats nests of cables fill in the big gaps in a
case and stops the case looking so empty :-)

I think that was how IDE cables were invented.
--
Gamma gamma gamma chameleon
You come and glow, you come and glow.
Old December 14th 04, 10:12 AM
Gama Chameleon

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:55:46 -0000, "ThePunisher"
wrote:

I went to Alienware's site and put together a pc for £1776.48 I went to
Ebuyer and put together the same pc(exact same parts but lookalike case) for
£1376.02 so really, your paying £400.46 for an Alienware case.

Ah but you also pay part of that to be able to call your PC a "rig".
:-)

I thought rigs where what you extracted oil from under the sea with or
drove around deliverying goods.