Mic and Line-in Plugs on SB Live Value

Old September 2nd 04, 02:32 AM
Lee C. Carpenter

Default Mic and Line-in Plugs on SB Live Value

On my old computer I remember plugging the mic into the pink plug on the SB
card and I could use it to record in Sound Recorder or Sound Forge. Now, on
my new box plugging the mic into the pink slot gives me a PA system through
my speakers. Plugging it into the line-in gives me recordings in both
aforementioned programs so low that even with the volume pegged I can barely
hear it. All my audio settings are good and nothing is muted.

I don't get it.

Lee C.

Old September 2nd 04, 03:19 PM
Stratman

"Lee C. Carpenter" wrote in message
On my old computer I remember plugging the mic into the pink plug on the

SB
card and I could use it to record in Sound Recorder or Sound Forge. Now,

on
my new box plugging the mic into the pink slot gives me a PA system

through
my speakers. Plugging it into the line-in gives me recordings in both
aforementioned programs so low that even with the volume pegged I can

barely
hear it. All my audio settings are good and nothing is muted.

I don't get it.

Lee C.

OK. Using my telepathic powers, I detect that your old soundcard was a
............ Nope, telepathy failure.

Let's see if it is any better with your new soundcard.......................
Another failure.

Maybe you'll just have to tell us what you've got.

Dickhead!!

Old September 2nd 04, 08:40 PM
Lee C. Carpenter

My, you sound like an angry, frustrated little man.

I have the same card in the new machine, which is why I didn't specify a
different one. That "SB" stands for "Soundblaster" in case you didn't pick
up on that. Then if you read the title of the post is says "SB Live Value".
Do you also need the serial number? Now, assuming that you have been
educated as to what "SB" is, maybe you won't need telepathy anymore. If you
still do, why don't you let someone who may be able to help me use the
bandwidth instead.

Old September 3rd 04, 05:37 AM
T Shadow

"Lee C. Carpenter" wrote in message
On my old computer I remember plugging the mic into the pink plug on the

SB
card and I could use it to record in Sound Recorder or Sound Forge. Now,

on
my new box plugging the mic into the pink slot gives me a PA system

through
my speakers. Plugging it into the line-in gives me recordings in both
aforementioned programs so low that even with the volume pegged I can

barely
hear it. All my audio settings are good and nothing is muted.

I don't get it.

Lee C.

Any chance you have the microphone turned on in Playback instead of Record?

Old September 3rd 04, 10:03 AM
Lenny

I'm not sure where that setting would be.

Doubleclick the little speaker symbol in the systray (next to the clock).
Check if there is a slider for the microphone, if there is, make sure the
mute checkbox is ticked. If there isn't one: archive menu, "properties",
select "playback" radio button in new window. Scroll through the list of
inputs and activate the ones you want to show - preferably at least
microphone... , then go back to the main window and tick the mute box. Go
back to the archive menu, make sure "advanced options" or whatever it's
called is checked, then go to the properties window again. Select "record"
radio button this time and tick the boxes for the inputs you want to show.
check the "advanced" button underneath, select the mic input boost box if
needed (you'll have to test yourself as it'll vary from mic to mic).

Good luck!

Old September 3rd 04, 04:49 PM
Lee C. Carpenter

Lenny,

You sir, are a "steely-eyed missile man!" Got it now thanks to your
outlined procedure. Worked like a charm. I do video through a capture card
quite a bit, but I'm not a sound wizard. Thanks for the help....and you
didn't even have to call me dickhead!

Lee C.
Landisville, PA