Printing WHITE graphics

Old February 19th 05, 07:48 PM
seascape

Default Printing WHITE graphics

How do you get a printer to actually print WHITE. My printer is omitting
white [treating as the absence of color]. Any way around this?

HP DeskJet 722 printer

Old February 19th 05, 08:05 PM
Harvey

"seascape" wrote in message
How do you get a printer to actually print WHITE. My printer is omitting
white [treating as the absence of color]. Any way around this?

HP DeskJet 722 printer

???

Old February 19th 05, 08:10 PM
CWatters

"seascape" wrote in message
How do you get a printer to actually print WHITE. My printer is omitting
white [treating as the absence of color]. Any way around this?

HP DeskJet 722 printer

Almost all _desktop_ printers do that these days. It's hard to make an
opache white ink.

There used to be a printer made by ALPS that had a white ink cart but I
don't think it's made now. There are professional printers that can but even
they have problems.

If you are trying to make decals - you can by white decal film.

See also..

Long URLs may need repair...

http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/printing/f/white_ink.htm

http://www.large-format-printers.org...edprinters.htm

http://www.bigpicture.net/index.php3...displaynow=yes

Old February 20th 05, 02:21 AM
Hecate

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:48:14 -0600, "seascape"
wrote:

How do you get a printer to actually print WHITE. My printer is omitting
white [treating as the absence of color]. Any way around this?

HP DeskJet 722 printer

White is the non-printing area. Unless you use orange paper of
course...

--

Hecate - The Real One

veni, vidi, reliqui
Old February 20th 05, 05:26 AM
Wolf Kirchmeir

seascape wrote:
How do you get a printer to actually print WHITE. My printer is omitting
white [treating as the absence of color]. Any way around this?

HP DeskJet 722 printer

"White" is just where the printer doesn't print. Use white paper. :-)

If you want to print white onto some other coloured paper, it can't be
done with what you've got. You need a printer that uses opaque white
ink. Tricky business, that, always was, even before we had computerised
printers. AFAIK only commercial printers can do that - wanna spend a
kilobuck to two?

Old February 22nd 05, 12:23 AM
seascape

Thanks. Yes, I'm trying to print window decals on transparencies and need
White so they show up on tinted glass.

Old February 22nd 05, 03:36 PM
Arthur Entlich

Not with your printer, to the best of my knowledge.

Most inkjet printers use the white of the paper to both create white
area as well as to present the brightness for the inks, as they are at
best translucent or even transparent.

I have heard rumors of white inks being made that work with inkjet
printers, but it would be very difficult to do, because the white has to
be an opaque pigment, with quite a density of pigment at that, to cover
other colors. That is likely to either dry very slowly or clog the heck
out of the ink heads.

There are other printing technologies that can use white ink (wax
transfer, solvent, etc.) but these tend to be more costly printers.

Art

Old February 23rd 05, 07:12 PM
seascape

How much most costly? A good ink jet can be bought for $200 these days.

A white ink printer [to print on transparency decals for Home/Car Windows,
etc..] wax xfer, solvent, etc. I haven't been able to find any of these
alternate white printing printers, so I have no idea if they are $500,
$1000, or more for the cost of the printer to do it?

Thanks

Old February 23rd 05, 08:10 PM
CWatters

"seascape" wrote in message
How much most costly? A good ink jet can be bought for $200 these days.

A white ink printer [to print on transparency decals for Home/Car Windows,
etc..] wax xfer, solvent, etc. I haven't been able to find any of these
alternate white printing printers, so I have no idea if they are $500,
$1000, or more for the cost of the printer to do it?

I think they are mainly (only?) large format like this..

http://www.large-format-printers.org...edprinters.htm

or
http://pira.atalink.co.uk/printing-and-prepress/115

More discussion...
http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbth...b=5&o=&fpart=1

Old February 24th 05, 02:08 PM
Arthur Entlich

Usually, unless there has been a change in technologies, several
thousands of dollars (I would guess between 4K and the sky), but you can
do some research on Google, looking up solvent ink printers.

Try:

http://www.large-format-printers.org...t_printers.htm

http://www.tradebrigade.com/html/kit_list.html

http://www.bigpicture.net/index.php3...displaynow=yes

Mimaki
Mimaki has recently introduced two new UV printers. The UJV-110 is
capable of printing at up to1200 x 2400 dpi and also utilizes white ink.
Also new is the flatbed UJ F-605C UV inkjet plotter, which prints up to
1200 x 2400 dpi and features white ink as well.

So, how did I find these amazing references...

In Google type in: "solvent ink" +printer +"white ink"

and like magic, 132 references come up.

Art