anybody using NEXSAN ?

Old September 5th 03, 03:13 AM
Albert

Default anybody using NEXSAN ?

any users report for Nexsan ATAboy storage systems ?

Albert

Old September 5th 03, 04:51 AM
Dan Foster

In article . rogers.com, Albert wrote:
any users report for Nexsan ATAboy storage systems ?

They're pretty nice and seems to be decently designed. Support folks I've
talked to really do know what they're talking about - even if going into
nitty gritty low level details. They also seem reasonably responsive - same
day or within one business day turnaround on email queries; if we needed
help faster, we'd have called.

We tested it under AIX (note: 1 TB LUN max size -- AIX limitation),
Solaris, and Linux... ran out of time before we could try it with Windows
2000 but I hear it works just fine with Win2K. We were unable to get the
Linux server (IBM xSeries 330) to see the array for some odd reason - may
be HBA issue of some sort. No big deal... we'll get it working one way or
another, but not critical as the other platforms.

It's pretty fast... we actually maxed out the 40 MB/sec SCSI interface on
the Solaris Netra t1 AC200 test system :-) Had to get a U160 HBA to
properly see the array max out. I think we maxed out the 80 MB/sec SCSI HBA
on the AIX box (pSeries 660 model 6H1) as well.

We don't really use the web GUI... 100% serial interface for us because it
fits in better with our administrative methods better.

We tried all sorts of procedures -- normal and emergency and they seem to
work exactly as advertised in the manual. Documentation (published manual
and in PDF format) appears to be logical, complete, and readable.

Creating a volume (LUN) is so ridiculously simple for either the serial or
web GUI that a 3 year old could do it However, I did notice a few minor
user interface design items that could be better improved so I sent in
feedback to Nexsan about it.

There are some vendors with similar products for just a bit cheaper, but
we're happy with what the design and people for Nexsan gives us, and at
that particular price point. It isn't a large price difference - seems
reasonably competitive.

We're looking to deploy these units (mostly ATAboy2 but we have one ATAbaby
that just arrived) for various projects in-house *where appropriate*. They
are not a good fit for all possible needs, but for many, they work out
rather well.

No relationship to Nexsan other than as a customer of their products.

Anything in particular you'd like to know more about?

-Dan