I just bought a firestick

Old January 22nd 18, 04:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Seymore4Head[_2_]

Default I just bought a firestick

I got a firestick for my niece hoping we could drop cable and phone.
She is complaining that the programs she is trying to watch are
pausing in the middle like a Youtube video sometimes does.
We have 100Mbs down and 5Mbs up. My router is a RT-AC66U and it is
located about 30 ft from the TV.

She thinks the buffering might be because of the stations she is
trying to watch. Is there a good way to use my cell phone to check if
it is my Wifi or the Firestick?

Old January 22nd 18, 06:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Seymore4Head wrote:
I got a firestick for my niece hoping we could drop cable and phone.
She is complaining that the programs she is trying to watch are
pausing in the middle like a Youtube video sometimes does.
We have 100Mbs down and 5Mbs up. My router is a RT-AC66U and it is
located about 30 ft from the TV.

She thinks the buffering might be because of the stations she is
trying to watch. Is there a good way to use my cell phone to check if
it is my Wifi or the Firestick?

http://www.yourkodi.com/amazon-fire-...buffering-fix/

STEP 1: Go down to the processing section and
Turn down Enable HQ Scalers to 0%

STEP 2: Disable MediaCodec (Surface)

STEP 3: REBOOT KODI AND TEST

If you still have minor issues you can try to
disable Media codec as well but try the (surface one first)

I have no idea what any of that means, except to suggest
the settings are somehow responsible for the poor performance.
I don't even know what computing devices are involved there
and what's doing the computing and what's doing the downloading.

One picture I could find, says it connects via HDMI to the TV set,
and uses a power adapter. The text in the picture, seems to imply the
HDMI cable is being used as an antenna for the internal Wifi ?
I wonder if a Wifi issue is the problem, and nothing to do
with Broadband service ?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....329209627_.jpg

I could also find a goofy setup, consisting of a USB ethernet device,
and some associated USB cabling, to fit a particular Ethernet interface
to the Firestick, and then you're no longer dependent on how well
the Wifi is working.

Thank God for toys eh. Never a dull moment.

Paul
Old January 22nd 18, 11:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Seymore4Head[_2_]

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 00:08:03 -0500, Paul
wrote:

Seymore4Head wrote:
[...]

Thanks
I will pass your suggestions on to her and see if she can fix it.
Old January 23rd 18, 01:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

wrote:

Seymore4Head wrote:
[...]

I have 2 Firesticks, one in the front room away from my router, and one in
the room where the router is located. The one in the front room had a
similar problem with the lag you're describing. By adjusting the angle of
the antenna on the router, and using some velcro to hold the Firestick and
it's extension cable straight (on my TV, parallel to the floor), the lags
and occasional disconnects are gone. I used "Wifi Scanner and Analyzler" to
get the best antenna angle for the best signal near the front room TV.
The one in the room with the router doesn't even need the extension cable;
it works great plugged straight into the TV.
--

SC Tom

Old January 23rd 18, 02:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:

Seymore4Head wrote:
[...]

Do you know anything about the little "kit" with the USB Ethernet
in it ? Using something like that (as long as the FireStick
has a driver for the Ethernet), might eliminate flaky Wifi
from the picture. You then run a wired connection to the USB
device, and the USB connection on the FireStick is how the
FireStick gains access to the net. I saw a picture of
this while searching for a FireStick take-apart. In the
take-apart, I could spot what looked like a microUSB on it.

Paul
Old January 24th 18, 02:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
SC Tom

"Paul" wrote in message
news

wrote:

Seymore4Head wrote:
[...]

No, I haven't heard of that until I read your previous post. I might
consider it if I had Ethernet close by.

By golly, here it is!
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Ethernet-Adapter-Fire-Devices/dp/B074TC662N

Looks like it does away with the HDMI extension, and has the power and the
Ethernet cable plug into the dongle, and then it's plugged into the
Firestick's µUSB power port. It gets 3.8/5 stars in 354 reviews. Might just
be what Seymore4Head's niece needs :-)
--

SC Tom

Old January 24th 18, 02:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

SC Tom wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message
news

wrote:

Seymore4Head wrote:
[...]

The one I spotted was a jumble of wires.
Like a home project of some sort.

Still, the comments in the product you found do raise
a point. The adapter might be limited to 100BT, which
is 12.5MB/sec at the best of times. But, the transfer
rate should be relatively reliable. Whereas the FireStick
wifi, who knows what it benches at in real conditions.

I could find reference to an ASIX and an SMSC USB to
Ethernet, and it's possible the reason the FireStick
has drivers, is because of the limited number of
competitors in that market. I think ASIX may have
made a GbE version, but then you'd need USB3 to get
more than 30MB/sec from it. And the FireStick might
only be USB2. The 30MB/sec would still be welcome,
so it would still be worth it to run a GbE dongle
over USB2.

I just like the idea of getting a wired connection
in there, to take the "flaky" out of stuff like this.

Paul
Old February 6th 18, 08:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Seymore4Head[_2_]

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 08:10:45 -0500, "SC Tom" wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message
news

wrote:

Seymore4Head wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tips. I already have an active Cat5 connection at the
TV for a WDTV player. I will ask my niece how often she uses the
firestick and if she uses it often I may give that thing a try.

It's a shame that Cat5 can't use piggyback connections. It would be
nice to share one Cat 5 between devices as I wouldn't ever be using
both devices at the same time.

Old February 6th 18, 09:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rodney Pont[_6_]

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 14:37:19 -0500, Seymore4Head wrote:

It's a shame that Cat5 can't use piggyback connections. It would be
nice to share one Cat 5 between devices as I wouldn't ever be using
both devices at the same time.

You can send several connections at once down cat5 if you are using it
for ethernet, you just need a switch (or even a hub) at the tv end to
connect both devices. Your incoming cat5 goes into one port and you
have two short cables to connect to your two devices, just as you do
with a USB hub. You can just unplug one and plug in the other if you
wish as well but that will wear out the connections before very long.

--
Faster, cheaper, quieter than HS2
and built in 5 years;

Old February 6th 18, 10:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Seymore4Head[_2_]

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 20:29:50 +0000 (GMT), "Rodney Pont"
wrote:

On Tue, 06 Feb 2018 14:37:19 -0500, Seymore4Head wrote:

It's a shame that Cat5 can't use piggyback connections. It would be
nice to share one Cat 5 between devices as I wouldn't ever be using
both devices at the same time.

You can send several connections at once down cat5 if you are using it
for ethernet, you just need a switch (or even a hub) at the tv end to
connect both devices. Your incoming cat5 goes into one port and you
have two short cables to connect to your two devices, just as you do
with a USB hub. You can just unplug one and plug in the other if you
wish as well but that will wear out the connections before very long.

I knew that you could use a hub. I was thinking more along the lines
of something like a phone splitter.

It would be nice if devices came with an in and an out like a modem
used to. Actually I guess modems still do that, but I haven't used
one in ages.