BBS Software for Raspberry Pi

Old February 22nd 18, 10:42 PM posted to comp.sys.raspberry-pi,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.basics
The Natural Philosopher[_2_]

Default BBS Software for Raspberry Pi

On 22/02/18 17:56, Seymore4Head wrote:
On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 01:44:46 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

On 3/12/2017 2:30 AM, Paul Hayton wrote:
Hi there

I run a retro BBS using Mystic BBS software. The author of the software has
been actively developing it for the last 15+ years. I thought I'd post here
to let anyone interested in BBSing that there is a Raspberry Pi (ARM) version
of Mystic available from mysticbbs.com

Be sure to use the latest 1.12 Alpha, it's far more developed and robust than
the much earlier 1.11 release.

Some links that may interest you

How hard would it be for BBS software to run on telnet?

I remember years ago that I had some program that would do telnet and
there were BBSs you could connect to. Could BBS software be modified
to be accessed from the web using a browser link?

I also always wondered how hard it would be to get programs to run
from the cloud instead of being housed on a personal machine.

I wish some colleges get involved with Usenet and keep it alive.

I think BBC software for schools would also be the bomb.

BBS software these days is a PHP application running over a web
interface and is way better than a simple telnet based system - pictures
threads, fora, the lot

https://www.phpbb.com/
https://mybb.com/

Load (one of) these up on a shared/virtial server in internet land and
get chattin!

twenty-first century’s developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Old February 23rd 18, 04:00 AM posted to comp.sys.raspberry-pi,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.basics
Seymore4Head[_2_]

On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 02:36:37 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

Check out the following BBS in Hong Kong, accessible both by phone and web:

http://smartiesbbs.no-ip.org/

I went to have a look, but the "new user" link if broken.
Old February 23rd 18, 05:03 AM posted to comp.sys.raspberry-pi,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.basics
Jasen Betts

wrote:

How hard would it be for BBS software to run on telnet?

About as hard as on a serial port.

I remember years ago that I had some program that would do telnet and
there were BBSs you could connect to.

Could BBS software be modified to be accessed from the web using a
browser link?

probably, UX would suck though. no mouse.

Old February 23rd 18, 05:07 AM posted to comp.sys.raspberry-pi,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.basics
Peter Jetson

Seymore4Head wrote:

http://smartiesbbs.no-ip.org/

I went to have a look, but the "new user" link if broken.

Looks like this link will get you there

http://smartiesbbs.no-ip.org/cgi-bin...script=new_one

Peter

Old February 23rd 18, 08:02 PM posted to comp.sys.raspberry-pi,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.basics
Big Bad Bob

On 12/02/17 09:44, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
I supposed any Linux distributions could run it?

that's one of the beauties of linux. your distro shouldn't determine
whether or not you can run something designed for Linux [although the
presence or absence of 'devel' packages and/or correct shared lib
versions are another thing entirely]

--
your story is so touching, but it sounds just like a lie
"Straighten up and fly right"
Old February 24th 18, 02:25 AM posted to comp.sys.raspberry-pi,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.basics
Seymore4Head[_2_]

On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 16:07:36 +1100, Peter Jetson
wrote:

Seymore4Head wrote:

http://smartiesbbs.no-ip.org/

I went to have a look, but the "new user" link if broken.

Looks like this link will get you there

http://smartiesbbs.no-ip.org/cgi-bin...script=new_one

Peter

So I tried it.
It works.
Not much of interest, but it was interesting that it worked so well.