BBS Software for Raspberry Pi

Old December 2nd 17, 06:44 PM posted to comp.sys.raspberry-pi,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.basics
Mr. Man-wai Chang

Default BBS Software for Raspberry Pi

On 3/12/2017 2:30 AM, Paul Hayton wrote:
Hi there

I run a retro BBS using Mystic BBS software. The author of the software has
been actively developing it for the last 15+ years. I thought I'd post here
to let anyone interested in BBSing that there is a Raspberry Pi (ARM) version
of Mystic available from mysticbbs.com

Be sure to use the latest 1.12 Alpha, it's far more developed and robust than
the much earlier 1.11 release.

Some links that may interest you

Mystic BBS - www.mysticbbs.com
Mystic Guy YouTube - https://goo.gl/2s71cx
fsxNet - www.bbs.geek.nz/fsxnet.zip

The last two links are things I run that help support Mystic and/or provide
access to Mystic support and others using the software

I supposed any Linux distributions could run it?

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Old December 3rd 17, 07:11 PM posted to comp.sys.raspberry-pi,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.basics
LoStaff .

On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 01:44:46 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

I supposed any Linux distributions could run it?

Mystic BBS v1.12 A35 is the latest alpha test release for people who want to
help test new features or run the cutting edge version.

These alpha versions are considered to be the most stable releases, and are the
recommended versions to use:.

Windows (32-bit native also works in 64-bit): MYS112A35_W32.RAR
Windows (64-bit native): MYS112A35_W64.RAR
Linux (32-bit): MYS112A35_L32.RAR
Linux (64-bit): MYS112A35_L64.RAR
ARMHF V6 Linux (32-bit, Raspberry Pi, ODROID, etc): MYS112A35_PI.ZIP
Macintosh OSX (32-bit): MYS112A35_O32.ZIP
Macintosh OSX (64-bit): MYS112A35_O64.ZIP

Old January 29th 18, 01:05 AM posted to comp.sys.raspberry-pi,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.basics
Diesel[_2_]

"Mr. Man-wai Chang"
news 17:44:46 GMT in alt.os.linux.ubuntu, wrote:

On 3/12/2017 2:30 AM, Paul Hayton wrote:
Hi there

I run a retro BBS using Mystic BBS software. The author of the
software has been actively developing it for the last 15+ years.
I thought I'd post here to let anyone interested in BBSing that
there is a Raspberry Pi (ARM) version of Mystic available from
mysticbbs.com

Be sure to use the latest 1.12 Alpha, it's far more developed and
robust than the much earlier 1.11 release.

Some links that may interest you

Mystic BBS - www.mysticbbs.com
Mystic Guy YouTube - https://goo.gl/2s71cx
fsxNet - www.bbs.geek.nz/fsxnet.zip

The last two links are things I run that help support Mystic
and/or provide access to Mystic support and others using the
software

I supposed any Linux distributions could run it?

A blast from the past. I thought it was more than fifteen years
old though, alas.

--
To prevent yourself from being a victim of cyber
stalking, it's highly recommended you visit he
Old February 2nd 18, 05:09 PM posted to comp.sys.raspberry-pi,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.basics
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 29/1/2018 08:05, Diesel wrote:

A blast from the past. I thought it was more than fifteen years
old though, alas.

I think I started playing with BBS in Hong Kong using a 1200 baud modem
back in year 1989.

Old February 14th 18, 06:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Davej

On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 11:44:49 AM UTC-6, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 3/12/2017 2:30 AM, Paul Hayton wrote:
[...]
The last two links are things I run that help support Mystic
and/or provide access to Mystic support and others using the
software

I supposed any Linux distributions could run it?

BBS? Who has a telephone line anymore?
Old February 15th 18, 11:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 15/2/2018 01:40, Davej wrote:

I supposed any Linux distributions could run it?

BBS? Who has a telephone line anymore?

There are old persons who don't understand new toys. And fixed telephone
lines are more reliable in general. You cannot avoid the electricity
cables and water pipes even when mobile phones and tablets are wireless
and portable.

Old February 15th 18, 07:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 18:50:47 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

There are old persons who don't understand new toys. And fixed telephone
lines are more reliable in general. You cannot avoid the electricity
cables and water pipes even when mobile phones and tablets are wireless
and portable.

Interesting....
I'm 78 and was forced to cancel my POTS because of continuing problems
like loud buzzing, and go to a cell phone for my "home" phone.
Electrical service is so poor I have a UPS on every computer, TV, and
DVR in the house. Haven't needed to find a substitute for the water
pipes, though.
Old February 15th 18, 10:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 16/2/2018 02:56, Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

Interesting....
I'm 78 and was forced to cancel my POTS because of continuing problems
like loud buzzing, and go to a cell phone for my "home" phone.
Electrical service is so poor I have a UPS on every computer, TV, and
DVR in the house. Haven't needed to find a substitute for the water
pipes, though.

Typical problems of living in the wild wild, I believe. But how come the
water pipes are more reliable than cables? They all come from that same
direction, don't they? Puzzling...

Old February 22nd 18, 06:56 PM posted to comp.sys.raspberry-pi,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.basics
Seymore4Head[_2_]

wrote:

On 3/12/2017 2:30 AM, Paul Hayton wrote:
Hi there

I run a retro BBS using Mystic BBS software. The author of the software has
been actively developing it for the last 15+ years. I thought I'd post here
to let anyone interested in BBSing that there is a Raspberry Pi (ARM) version
of Mystic available from mysticbbs.com

Be sure to use the latest 1.12 Alpha, it's far more developed and robust than
the much earlier 1.11 release.

Some links that may interest you

How hard would it be for BBS software to run on telnet?

I remember years ago that I had some program that would do telnet and
there were BBSs you could connect to. Could BBS software be modified
to be accessed from the web using a browser link?

I also always wondered how hard it would be to get programs to run
from the cloud instead of being housed on a personal machine.

I wish some colleges get involved with Usenet and keep it alive.

I think BBC software for schools would also be the bomb.

Old February 22nd 18, 07:36 PM posted to comp.sys.raspberry-pi,alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.basics
Mr. Man-wai Chang

Check out the following BBS in Hong Kong, accessible both by phone and web:

http://smartiesbbs.no-ip.org/

On 23/2/2018 01:56, Seymore4Head wrote:
How hard would it be for BBS software to run on telnet?

I remember years ago that I had some program that would do telnet and
there were BBSs you could connect to. Could BBS software be modified
to be accessed from the web using a browser link?

I also always wondered how hard it would be to get programs to run
from the cloud instead of being housed on a personal machine.

I wish some colleges get involved with Usenet and keep it alive.

I think BBC software for schools would also be the bomb.

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
不借貸! 不詐騙! 不*錢! 不援交! 不打交! 不打劫! 不自殺! 不求神! 請考慮綜援
(CSSA):