Problem with Color Printing

Old December 29th 14, 01:05 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David E. Ross

Default Problem with Color Printing

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
HP Color LaserJet CP1215

Some applications seem to print JPGs great. Others print a black box
for JPGs but do colored text okay.

An example is at http://www.rossde.com/call_important.html. The
half-tone "Dennis the Menace" cartoon and the full-color "Blondie"
cartoon strip are all-black rectangles with the SeaMonkey browser. The
image files for those are also all black with the GNU Image Manipulation
Program.

On the other hand, the image files print okay with a copy of Photo
Editor (imported from Windows XP) and Paint (the Windows 7 version).

Do I have a bad setup for my printer? Or is the problem within the
applications?

--
David E. Ross

The Crimea is Putin's Sudetenland.
The Ukraine will be Putin's Czechoslovakia.
See http://www.rossde.com/editorials/edtl_PutinUkraine.html.
Old December 29th 14, 06:34 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bill (Adopt)

In article ,
David E. Ross wrote:
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
HP Color LaserJet CP1215

[..]
An example is at http://www.rossde.com/call_important.html. The
half-tone "Dennis the Menace" cartoon and the full-color "Blondie"
cartoon strip are all-black rectangles with the SeaMonkey browser. The
image files for those are also all black with the GNU Image Manipulation
Program.

On the other hand, the image files print okay with a copy of Photo
Editor (imported from Windows XP) and Paint (the Windows 7 version).

Do I have a bad setup for my printer? Or is the problem within the
applications?

Using an ancient browser, (of which I doubt you are
even aware), your 'page' prints perfectly - exactly
as it appears on screen with the particular browser
and I daresay as you intended.

The browser here is the non-microsoft javascript
!Fresco v2.13 which is printing from a twenty year
old RiscPC running RISC OS 4.02 to a year or so old
(ie very recent) HP LaserJet Pro 400 M451dn.

Apart from simply connecting the machine to the
printer via an RJ45 cable and using Postscript,
nothing has been added or taken away! Everything
is behaving rapidly and 'normally' as it always does..

Note: the printer is networked to and between three
non Microsoft machines, both wirelessly and/or
physically through a TP-Link 300bps cable router.

The printer here itself, being connected to the
router via an RJ45 link, has presently no need of
it's own internal wireless card.

My guess is that it could be a possibility that your
'SeaMonkey' browser might need some tweaking, if such
is possible..?

...but before looking at that and if you're not already
doing it, attempt to send the print stream out using
Postscript if your printer can accept that, (which I
believer it should)?

Hopefully that way the 'page' is therefore 'described'
more or less line by line as it appears without an
interpreting and machine specific 'printer driver'.

Hope the listing of connections isn't too boring and
yes, it is informative to read that here in the UK we
have exactly the same call centres, giving exactly the
same speil, as you do!

Perhaps we should cull the lot - except it may put a
a swathe of the Indian sub-continent, as well as the
whole of downtown Manilla out of what should I'm sure
the Droids themselves intend to be a helpful and very
useful job.

The problem is not so much the help-line droids as the
'behind scenes manipulators' creaming off whatever profits
they can access.

Anway ..hope the print info helps )

Bill ZFC

--
Adoption InterLink UK with -=- http://www.billsimpson.com/
Domain Host Orpheus Internet -=- http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/
Old December 29th 14, 10:40 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Stuart[_3_]

In article ,
Bill (Adopt) wrote:
My guess is that it could be a possibility that your
'SeaMonkey' browser might need some tweaking, if such
is possible..?

There was an issue a while back with NetSurf printing a solid black block
when asked to print a JPEG from certain webpages, fixed now, so I agree,
it's probably a Browser/webpage interpretation issue.

--
Stuart Winsor

Tools With A Mission
sending tools across the world
http://www.twam.co.uk/
Old December 29th 14, 04:07 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "David E. Ross"

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
HP Color LaserJet CP1215

Some applications seem to print JPGs great. Others print a black box
for JPGs but do colored text okay.

An example is at http://www.rossde.com/call_important.html. The
half-tone "Dennis the Menace" cartoon and the full-color "Blondie"
cartoon strip are all-black rectangles with the SeaMonkey browser. The
image files for those are also all black with the GNU Image Manipulation
Program.

On the other hand, the image files print okay with a copy of Photo
Editor (imported from Windows XP) and Paint (the Windows 7 version).

Do I have a bad setup for my printer? Or is the problem within the
applications?

I would look at this from the POV of the application and the Printer Driver.

If it works via a Graphics Application, then it is a graphics rendering
problem using the browser. Browsers are notorious for having printing
problems. Browsers are maent for screen viewing, not printing.

Then you can also look at whether the printer iks using PCL5, PCL6 or maybe
even PS. The driver may make the difference for the Browser. Is it
SeaMonkey v2.31 ?

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old December 29th 14, 05:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Keith Nuttle

From: "David E. Ross"

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
[...]

I would ensure that you are accessing the same printer in all
applications. To me it sounds like a print driver problem.

One way to check, if it is an application problem or a print driver
problem, is print to another printer. If you don't have a second
printer you may wish to download a Free PDF Printer like CuteWriter.
(http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp If you use the free
printer make sure you get both parts)

If you can print to the second printer, then you have isolated it to a
printer problem not an application problem.

I use Firefox, which is code-wise similar to Seamonkey and that page
printed correctly.
Old December 29th 14, 07:53 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David E. Ross

From: "David E. Ross"

Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
[...]

Using doPDF to "print" the indicated Web page to a PDF file, I see all
images correctly in full color. When I use Acrobat Reader to print the
PDF file, however, the pale green background is black and the text is
white. The "Blondie" cartoon strips are stretched horizontally, mostly
black, with many narrow, vertical, white lines.

Old December 29th 14, 09:50 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Keith Nuttle

From: "David E. Ross"

I use Firefox, which is code-wise similar to Seamonkey and that page
printed correctly.

Using doPDF to "print" the indicated Web page to a PDF file, I see all
images correctly in full color. When I use Acrobat Reader to print the
PDF file, however, the pale green background is black and the text is
white. The "Blondie" cartoon strips are stretched horizontally, mostly
black, with many narrow, vertical, white lines.

When I printed it from Firefox to CutePDF, and opened it Adobe Reader;
it came out correctly
Old December 29th 14, 10:02 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David E. Ross

On 12/28/2014 5:05 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)
HP Color LaserJet CP1215

Some applications seem to print JPGs great. Others print a black box
for JPGs but do colored text okay.

An example is at http://www.rossde.com/call_important.html. The
half-tone "Dennis the Menace" cartoon and the full-color "Blondie"
cartoon strip are all-black rectangles with the SeaMonkey browser. The
image files for those are also all black with the GNU Image Manipulation
Program.

On the other hand, the image files print okay with a copy of Photo
Editor (imported from Windows XP) and Paint (the Windows 7 version).

Do I have a bad setup for my printer? Or is the problem within the
applications?

By the way, Web pages with colors indicating visited and unvisited links
print via SeaMonkey okay. The colors are as seen on my PC monitor.

Old December 29th 14, 10:26 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David E. Ross

From: "David E. Ross"

I use Firefox, which is code-wise similar to Seamonkey and that page
printed correctly.

Using doPDF to "print" the indicated Web page to a PDF file, I see all
images correctly in full color. When I use Acrobat Reader to print the
PDF file, however, the pale green background is black and the text is
white. The "Blondie" cartoon strips are stretched horizontally, mostly
black, with many narrow, vertical, white lines.

When I printed it from Firefox to CutePDF, and opened it Adobe Reader;
it came out correctly

It displays correctly on my PC, but it does not print correctly.

I also tried printing a PDF document that was not derived (as far as I
know) from a Web page or Word file. This was an IRS Form 1040, with a
pale green background (not covering the entire form) and pale lavender
areas where text could be input to the form. All the text contained
within the form printed white. The pale green printed solid black. The
pale lavender areas printed white. Since areas that were white or pale
lavender printed white and since all the text was white, that text was
not visible in the printed copy. Only the black text against the pale
green background was visible because that text also printed white
against a black background.

All in all, the problen is with printing, not what I see on my PC
monitor. What I see is NOT what I print.

Old December 29th 14, 11:34 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Keith Nuttle

On 12/29/2014 5:26 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 12/29/2014 1:50 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 12/29/2014 2:53 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

I also tried printing a PDF document that was not derived (as far as I
know) from a Web page or Word file. This was an IRS Form 1040, with a
pale green background (not covering the entire form) and pale lavender
areas where text could be input to the form. All the text contained
within the form printed white. The pale green printed solid black. The
pale lavender areas printed white. Since areas that were white or pale
lavender printed white and since all the text was white, that text was
not visible in the printed copy. Only the black text against the pale
green background was visible because that text also printed white
against a black background.

All in all, the problen is with printing, not what I see on my PC
monitor. What I see is NOT what I print.

This is something I am aware of but have never investigated or used.

In some Monitors you can change the color profile, to correct color to a
color standard.

This is also available in Windows 8 in from the Control Panel Appearance
and Personalization Display. As I remember it has been in every
Windows Version since Windows 3.1

It is designed for those people who work with photographs and want
absolutely perfect color reproduction.

Have you accidentally change these settings?

If so maybe some one can tell you how to set them back to the default.
As I said I am only aware it existed.