bought non-wireless priinter by mistake

Old December 9th 14, 10:41 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

Default bought non-wireless priinter by mistake

On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 08:46:02 -0700, Ken Springer
wrote:

If there are two new Apple computers, I don't understand trying to get
Tiger and XP to work with the printer, unless they just want to make it
work for whatever reason. Something I've been known to do.

I'm not sure if he has an apple laptop. I lost track of his story, and
of course whatever he said, he may have returned it after that, if he
even bought one. (My own memory isn't so hot these days either.)

The only laptop I know he's used is the PC. I had him convinced that it
wouldn't be much effort to get out of bed and plug the rpinter into it
-- that was the first part of my OP, if just pulling the USB plug could
do any harm -- but he also though 21 dollars for the print server was
worth it.
Old December 10th 14, 05:02 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Ken Springer

wrote:

If there are two new Apple computers, I don't understand trying to get
Tiger and XP to work with the printer, unless they just want to make it
work for whatever reason. Something I've been known to do.

I'm not sure if he has an apple laptop. I lost track of his story, and
of course whatever he said, he may have returned it after that, if he
even bought one. (My own memory isn't so hot these days either.)

I know how this goes, I've given up trying to keep track of what goes on
with my inlaws systems. It's a case where the old adage (Too many cooks
spoil the pot.) is a perfect fit.

The only laptop I know he's used is the PC. I had him convinced that it
wouldn't be much effort to get out of bed and plug the rpinter into it
-- that was the first part of my OP, if just pulling the USB plug could
do any harm -- but he also though 21 dollars for the print server was
worth it.

As long as he doesn't want to share files without doing a modern day
version of sneakernet, it sounds like the print server is a great
solution for him.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5
Old December 10th 14, 05:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Ken Springer

On 12/9/14 2:35 PM, micky wrote:
On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 05:42:49 -0700, Ken Springer
wrote:

On 12/8/14 9:29 PM, micky wrote:
On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 10:00:07 -0700, Ken Springer
wrote:

On 12/7/14 1:59 PM, micky wrote:

snip

If he has a new Mac desktop, a new Mac laptop, and an iPad, why bother
with the old stuff? It seems a waste of time to me.

See below.

Back when my Mac was new, I took it to my inlaws to show them a Mac.
They are all Windows users. Their son brought his HP XP laptop. It
took me about 10 minutes to get connected to their network. It took
their son 3 hours to get his XP laptop connected.

No joke.

I don't know if this is related. I took an old IBM Thinkpad on a car
trip to Dallas and most motels had a password I was supposed to enter.
I could almost never get it to work if there was a passwords. This was
running winME!

Now like my friend I have an Acer netbook running XP and it connects
just fine. The engine failed near Ashville, N.C and if I didn't have a
computer to shop for another car, I would have had to go buy one.

In this case, and my nephew's case, hardware may also be part of the
problem.

I think this is a downside of the "open" way MS has done things, some
thing no one seems to talk about. Someone puts out an accessory card
that's somehow just a little bit different than what the programming
expects, and the system fails. But Apple's "walled garden" approach
seems to keep this to a minimum.

I was once rebuilding a Gateway desktop to give away, XP for the OS.
After installing OS updates, the computer would not shut down. Tracked
the issue down to a particular high security update. Leave it out,
worked fine. MS offered free tech support for this update, and I kept
escalating it up the food chain until I was dealing with MS engineers in
New Delhi, India, who finally gave up on the problem.

I'm no trained tech, but I sat and watched how the computer reacted, and
a couple weeks later I said to myself "I wonder what would happen
if.......") I put in an older Ethernet card, and everything worked fine.

IMO, you guys are wasting your time with getting the old equipment to
work together.

No, I was talking about getting the new equipment installed and working.
He wants wireless so he can print easily from the laptop, wherever he is
at the time. I"m sorry I was confusing.

Sorry here too, I should have said "getting the old equipment to work
together with the new printer.

If you set up the new stuff, and if he has an Apple
account, all three Apple products should talk to each other without a
hitch. For Apple apps, lets say the notepad, if you enter something
into the notepad app on the desktop, in a couple of minutes the data you
entered will be downloaded to the laptop and iPad. And vice-versa.

Caveat... The age and model of the iPad may be an issue. I'm not a big
Apple user, no iPad, no iPhone, no iPod, etc. I don't buy a product
because it's Apple, I buy what fits my needs/desires/wants. My tablet
is a Google Nexus 7, which is Android. :-)

I ended up buying the wireless print server that no one else bid on, for
15 + 6 dolllars. It 's going to take months his new stuff running,
but this is a start.

?????? The last sentence isn't making any sense to me. It shouldn't
take much time at all to get the new stuff running, if it's all Apple.

It will because it's still in the box. It's been in the box for 2
months and will remain there who knows how long.

And it will depend on how familiar you are with the Mac way of doing
things, too.

Unless the problem is one of simply getting together to do it. G

Yeah, that's it.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5
Old December 10th 14, 07:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Fred McKenzie

In article ,
micky wrote:

Oh, and an Ipad.

Micky-

Next you will find that the iPad will not print to the USB printer, even
though it is on the network. The iPad uses the AirPrint system, which
only works over Ethernet or WiFi, NOT USB.

There are iPad Printing Apps that can get around the problem
(PrintCentral for example), and Apps from various printer manufacturers
that work with their printers. However they can not be used from within
other Apps unless they have an "Open In" or "Open Using" option. They
have their own web browsing, mail and photo functions to enable printing.

There are also programs that run on your computer to share its printer
as AirPrint over the network. The computer must be turned on any time
you want to print from the iPad.

Fred
Old December 11th 14, 03:48 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 13:48:34 -0500, Fred McKenzie wrote:

In article ,
micky wrote:

Oh, and an Ipad.

Micky-

Next you will find that the iPad will not print to the USB printer, even
though it is on the network. The iPad uses the AirPrint system, which
only works over Ethernet or WiFi, NOT USB.

Ugh.

There are iPad Printing Apps that can get around the problem
(PrintCentral for example), and Apps from various printer manufacturers

(BTW, this reminds me. He doesn't have an apple laptop after all, I
think. He has an apple ipad, or whatever by apple is called a
tablet. I don't like to be pushy in helping him, because every guy
likes to do things themselves if they can. Plus I don't know much about
apple stuff. I'd like to learn, but on someone who is more desperate
than he is.)

that work with their printers. However they can not be used from within
other Apps unless they have an "Open In" or "Open Using" option. They
have their own web browsing, mail and photo functions to enable printing.

There are also programs that run on your computer to share its printer
as AirPrint over the network. The computer must be turned on any time
you want to print from the iPad.

He might be leaving it on anyhow. I wouldn't do that but I don't tell
him he shouldn't. And from what you say, it might turn out to be a good
thing.

I'll keep the words AirPrint in mind.

Fred

Old December 11th 14, 06:47 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Ken Springer

On 12/10/14 11:48 AM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
micky wrote:

Oh, and an Ipad.

Micky-

Next you will find that the iPad will not print to the USB printer, even
though it is on the network. The iPad uses the AirPrint system, which
only works over Ethernet or WiFi, NOT USB.

There are iPad Printing Apps that can get around the problem
(PrintCentral for example), and Apps from various printer manufacturers
that work with their printers. However they can not be used from within
other Apps unless they have an "Open In" or "Open Using" option. They
have their own web browsing, mail and photo functions to enable printing.

There are also programs that run on your computer to share its printer
as AirPrint over the network. The computer must be turned on any time
you want to print from the iPad.

Fred,

Does the iPad have a print to PDF option like OS X? I don't have an
iPad, so no clue.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5
Old December 11th 14, 06:57 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Ken Springer

micky wrote:

Oh, and an Ipad.

Micky-

Next you will find that the iPad will not print to the USB printer, even
though it is on the network. The iPad uses the AirPrint system, which
only works over Ethernet or WiFi, NOT USB.

Ugh.

I should have asked Fred in my reply to him if this applies to all
iPads, or just some of the older ones.

There are iPad Printing Apps that can get around the problem
(PrintCentral for example), and Apps from various printer manufacturers

(BTW, this reminds me. He doesn't have an apple laptop after all, I
think. He has an apple ipad, or whatever by apple is called a
tablet. I don't like to be pushy in helping him, because every guy
likes to do things themselves if they can. Plus I don't know much about
apple stuff. I'd like to learn, but on someone who is more desperate
than he is.)

The iPad is Apple's tablet, and there's a smaller version called the
iPad Mini.

Old December 12th 14, 09:34 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Fred McKenzie

micky wrote:

[...]

Yes, it applies to all iPads. The original iPad could not print when it
first came out. An early revision to the iOS added AirPrint capability.

I have an old iPad 2, but it runs the latest iOS 8.1.2. It does not
have a "print to PDF" option, but there are paid Apps that claim to
provide that. (I think PrintCentral can be upgraded to do that for a
price.)

One program that can share a computer printer as AirPrint over the
network, is Printopia (for Macintosh) at
http://www.ecamm.com/mac/printopia/.

If you need more info on iPads, try the comp.mobile.ipad newsgroup.
There is also an Apple forum at
https://discussions.apple.com/community/ipad/using_ipad.

Fred
Old December 12th 14, 11:11 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Ken Springer

On 12/12/14 1:34 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:

micky wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Fred, I was just curious about the iPad. I had been planning on
buying an iPad Mini until I saw the Google Nexus 7. :-)

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5
Old December 14th 14, 01:26 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
micky

wrote:

On 12/7/14 1:59 PM, micky wrote:

[...]

I don't think I would have figured that out. I think you know more than
I do.

[...]

Very little. Let me ask you a question. He was going away and worried
about burglars breaking in and stealing his computer. I told him a much
greater risk was harddrive failure and he should get a backup drive. He
said Yes. Because of what's below** I lent him a 1.5TB internal drive
and a BlacX caddy, and we connected it together and he bought and
installed SuperDuper. I tried to look at the backup it made, but
because I know so little about Mac, I didn't know if I was looking at
the original or thte backup. But he continued to run SuperDuper, with
scheduled backups. Months later something went wrong and his old in
and out email was missing. He looked, he said, on the backup and it
wasn't there either.

There seemed to be a chance that it had run and made the backup just
like the original, no email. But it wasn't scheduled to run. I
didn't know what to say or do.

A month ago when my harddrive started clicking, I rushed to get my HD
and caddy back to make full backups. I looked at the drive first and
it had no partitions. I'm not stupid enough to give it to him that
way, and he's not technical enough to delete a partition (but the
subject is a sore one with me, even though we talked often and he hasn't
complained again, so I haven't asked him.)

Then I found out that Mac and MS have no partition designs in common.
And I don't remember partitioning the drive at his house. I'm sure I
checked this before I gave the HD to him, but even if I didn't, how
could we/he run SuperDuper without its complaining that it couldn't
write to the harddrive. It didn't complain at all. And I know it
gave a list of drives to choose one for the To: drive and the external
drive was on the list.

What happened?

**I ordered one from the big store in NYC, J&R or the other one with two
initials. and after they shipped it, I read online that it didn't work
right with what he had, even though most of the same company's drives
did. They gave me my money back with no problem, but then I didn't buy
anything else.

Unless the problem is one of simply getting together to do it. G

Yeah, that's it.

IDE BIG MISTAKE Wesley Gigabyte Motherboards 1 December 13th 07 09:25 AM
Have I made a mistake? Bought from MESH :) Gary Whittle UK Computer Vendors 9 January 22nd 05 06:07 PM
Mistake turns into Second HD For PC Sam Storage (alternative) 2 October 3rd 04 07:17 PM
New Priinter BFella Printers 0 August 5th 04 12:50 AM
Just bought a 24" rounded ATA-133 cable--a mistake? Two mistakes? Flor Homebuilt PC's 5 October 5th 03 11:44 AM