router cannot see Brother printer

Old May 25th 14, 04:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Sylvia M[_2_]

Default router cannot see Brother printer

"jeff g." wrote in message
From: "Sylvia M"

From: "Sylvia M"

From: "Sylvia M"

By ID numbers (sloppy thinking) I guess I meant the numbers
below
that LinkSys gave me, as I went through that process several
days
ago, with no success.

Brother Printer is MFC5860CN
It is connected to the Power surge protector for power, and to
one of the USB ports in LinkSys

LinkSys Wireless-C Broadband with 4 point switch: Model
#WRT54GS
Y7

So I went to ProgramsLinksys, and I'm trying from here...
Lynksys window "sees" the following Network:

Router:
########### is password
192.168.1.1
00-1A-70-fd-7F-92

BROTHER MFC:
IP address: 192.168.1.100
MAC Address: 00-80-77-B8-AC-03

Hp desktop
IP address 192.168.1.100
MAC Address: 00-15-F2-AB-17-13

Dell Laptop
IP address 192.168.1.101
MAC Address: 66-16-CF-3E-B4-C3

LinkSys Status is saying ! in a yellow triangle, "Problem!
Internet connection is not working"
(no surprise)

It offers to "Fix Connection"

Yes, all connected, all lights necessary are on
pulled both power adapters, waited, started;

Linksys tried to connect to internet, claimed no internet
connection,
No Joy! But I can send and receive email and go onto web,
and
so can the laptop in the next room.!.

Did I mention that we can use the printer to scan and print
from
scanner?
When I just now went to printer, hit menu button , and went to
LAN,
I have some options that might be involved.
I can setup IP/TCP, 1 BOOT Method ,or IP Address or Subnet Mask
or
set up misc.....OMG too many choices ;-) Also I'm running
back
and forth from PC to printer display, and the option window
goes
off in between.

Dave, can this be where the problem can be fixed? Do I need to
check how one of the above (or something else) is programmed at
the printer end?

Thank you for responding,

Sylvia

Without going deep into the post I found two problems.

NEVER, ever, EVER, post a password *ANYWHERE* !

The Brother and the HP desktop have the same IP address. All IP
addresses on a Local Area Network (LAN) must be unique between
(in
this scenario) 192.168.1.2 ~ 192.168.1.254.

{ I will return to this thread later in the day }

My bad, the Hp desktop ends 101;
That is 192.168.1.101
Sylvia

Why is the Linksys Router connect via USB to the Brother ?

You stated...

"Dell Laptop
IP address 192.168.1.101
MAC Address: 66-16-CF-3E-B4-C3 "

So there still is an IP conflict.

Sigh
According to LinkSys,
Printer's IP address: 192.168.1.100
Laptop 192.168 1.101
Desktop 192.168.1.102
BUT
Printer sez it's IP is 192.168.001.100, yes, with third set of
digits
001, not 1.
Is this different? should I change the IP #s on the printer?

192.168.001.100 == 192.168.1.100

Leading zeros are not significant and be considered placeholders
only.

Open a Command Prompt from the POV of the laptop

In the Command Prompt window type,

ping 192.168.1.100
ping 192.168.1.1

Now repeat the process from the POV of the desktop

Open a Command Prompt from trhe POV of the laptop

In the Command Prompt window type,

ping 192.168.1.100
ping 192.168.1.1

What are the results from the Laptop and what are the results from
the
dekstop ?

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

POV of the laptop for ping 192.168.1.100:

Reply from 192.168.1.100: bytes = 32 time = 4ms TTL-60
Reply from 192.168.1.100: bytes = 32 time = 4ms TTL-60

Reply from 192.168.1.100: bytes = 32 time = 4ms TTL-60
Reply from 192.168.1.100: bytes = 32 time = 4ms TTL-60
Ping statististics for 192.168.1.100 :
Packets Sent = 4, Received =4, Lost = 0 , 0 loss.
Approximate round trip times in mili-seconds:
Minimum= 1ms Maximum = 4ms Average = 4ms

POV of the laptop for ping 192.168.1.1:
ping 192.168.1.1:

same as above

=======================================
POV Desktop for ping 192.168.1.100

Pinging 192.168.1.100 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.100: bytes = 32 time = 1ms TTL-60
Reply from 192.168.1.100: bytes = 32 time = 1ms TTL-60

Reply from 192.168.1.100: bytes = 32 time = 1ms TTL-60

Reply from 192.168.1.100: bytes = 32 time = 1ms TTL-60

Ping statististics for 192.168.1.100 :
Packets Sent = 4, Received =4, Lost = 0 ,0 loss.
Approximate round trip times in mili-seconds:
Minimum= 0ms Maximum = 1ms Average = 0ms

C::\Documents and Settings\HO-Administrator
POV Desktop for ping 192.168.1.1
same as above
=================================
?
Sylvia:

you never answered the question:

Why is the Linksys Router connect via USB to the Brother ?

Thank you...

I believe it was in the directions for installation.

The laptop is not connected to the printer.
The router 'recognizes' the printer, I thought through the USB port.(the
router has 4 USB ports..
I would assume (and we know what that does that the router picks up
the wireless signal to print from the laptop and transfers that
information to the printer ...on a good day, if all is functioning
correctly...which it is not.
Is it possible that the router would recognize the printer if it were
not connected by USB cable?

Either way, we cannot print from the laptop.

Old May 25th 14, 01:11 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Sylvia M"

you never answered the question:

Why is the Linksys Router connect via USB to the Brother ?

Thank you...

I believe it was in the directions for installation.

The laptop is not connected to the printer.
The router 'recognizes' the printer, I thought through the USB port.(the
router has 4 USB ports..
I would assume (and we know what that does that the router picks up the
wireless signal to print from the laptop and transfers that information to
the printer ...on a good day, if all is functioning correctly...which it
is not.
Is it possible that the router would recognize the printer if it were not
connected by USB cable?

Either way, we cannot print from the laptop.

We have to start trimming our posts...

There are three possibilities for using a USB port on a SOHO Router.
1. The Router may have a USB Port to connect to a singular PC and use
Ethernet over USB.
2. The Router is also a USB Print Server to connect a printer that has no
networking capability in such a way the the printer is on the network for
all LAN nodes to use.
3. The Router can connect to to a USB Hard Disk for Network Attached
Storage (NAS).

To know specifically we need the Exact Linksys Router Model number.

Point 1:
While some devices may have this capability, it is a last resort and
connection to Ethernet is preferred.

Point 2:
Some Routers can as as a Pint Server. That means one can take a USB capable
printer that has no networking capability (Ethernet or WiFi) and connect it
to the USB port on the Router and now any node on the LAN can print to that
printer via TCP/IP (in some cases other protocols as well).

Point 3:
One can connect a USB Hard Drive or Flash Disk to the USB Port and any LAN
node can access the data stored on the drive via a UNC or map a drive letter
to it.

-------------------

Assuming all the LAN nodes have a unique IP address, we tested a
communication link from the POV of both computers (laptop & desktop) which
can PING both the Printer and the Router. Therefore both computers should
be able to print to the printer.

Can both the Laptop and the Desktop print to the Brother Printer @
192.168.1.100 or not ?

Old May 25th 14, 07:12 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Sylvia M[_2_]

From: "Sylvia M"

[...]

Neither can print to the Brother printer at this time.
When attempting to print from the desktop, the document shows on the
printer window with "printing", but a pop-up then appears saying "The
document failed to print" and the printer window 'status' changes to
Error, and 'port' is indicated as
BRN-B8AC03. Same from the desktop.

FINALLY tried "Troubleshoot" jumped through hoops, tried to print
through WordPad, Notepad...until told to turn printer off, then back on,
which resets and clears memory...Now Printing just fine.
I'm going to save our posts, because they well may come in handy in the
future. Thanks for your input, and for bearing with me.

Sylvia

Old May 25th 14, 11:28 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Sylvia M"

From: "Sylvia M"

[...]

Starting with the Laptop, go to Controil Panel and the Printers (or Devices
and Printers) Control Panel applet.

Highlight the the Brother Printer.
Right-Click and choose "Properties"
(NOTE: On Windows 7 there are two properties. Choose the one near the top
of the list, not the bottom one)
Find the "Ports" tab.
Choose "Add Port..." -- Standard TCP/IP Port -- New Port
Follow the dialogue and enter; 192.168.1.100
Choose OK.

Now the printer is attached to the TCP/IP address of the Brother Printer.

Perform a Test Print.

If all is OK...
Repeat the above on the Desktop PC.

Old May 26th 14, 02:42 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Sylvia M[_2_]

From: "Sylvia M"

From: "Sylvia M"

[...]

Done.
OK on both.
Many thanks.

Sylvia

Old May 26th 14, 01:03 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Sylvia M"

Starting with the Laptop, go to Controil Panel and the Printers (or
Devices and Printers) Control Panel applet.

Highlight the the Brother Printer.
Right-Click and choose "Properties"
(NOTE: On Windows 7 there are two properties. Choose the one near the
top of the list, not the bottom one)
Find the "Ports" tab.
Choose "Add Port..." -- Standard TCP/IP Port -- New Port
Follow the dialogue and enter; 192.168.1.100
Choose OK.

Now the printer is attached to the TCP/IP address of the Brother Printer.

Perform a Test Print.

If all is OK...
Repeat the above on the Desktop PC.

Done.
OK on both.
Many thanks.

Sylvia

So I understand correctly...

You followed my directions to create a new TCP/IP Printer Port on both the
Laptop and Desktop and both are now printing as expected ?

Old May 26th 14, 09:44 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Sylvia M[_2_]

From: "Sylvia M"

[...]

Yes David, though the on-off seemed to have solved the problem, I did
follow your last instructions on both the laptop and desktop to create a
new TCP/IP Printer Port.

The Brother printer now responds to both computers, and I suspect will
continue to do so, thanks again!

Sylvia

Old May 26th 14, 10:03 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
jeff g.

From: "Sylvia M"

[...]

Judging from the response below and the fact she reported it resolved
before you suggested this, I think the answer to your question is no.
If I'm not mistaken, it was simply the old reboot solution,,,

Old May 26th 14, 10:51 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Sylvia M[_2_]

From: "Sylvia M"

[...]

I would, and did, assume that if David suggested the additional last
step, there was a good reason for me to do it, as well. Therefore I did
so. The answer is "yes".
Sylvia

Old May 26th 14, 11:12 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
jeff g.

From: "Sylvia M"

[...]

Sorry, not what I meant and I don't think thats what he meant - you had
already posted that resetting the printer cleared your problem (I said
reboot - my error) - I think David wanted to know if what /he/ suggested
was responsible, which doesn't seem so since your printer reset did it
before the TCP/IP setups, although they may have been what you want anyway.

This is just how I read it - I was having trouble following all this and
commiserated with you since I just went through CUPs hell with a Canon
/and/ a Brothers.