Paper-feed fault on HP laser printer

Old August 22nd 13, 04:41 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brian Carroll

Default Paper-feed fault on HP laser printer

I have an HP Color LaserJet CP1515n printer, bought in Nov 09. It
failed after a few months and was replaced under the warranty.

The printer is connected to my small home LAN and used mainly
with a PC running Windows XP and the supplied HP Driver and an
Acorn RiscPC running RISC OS and Postscript 3 and a JetDirect
connection. The Windows and Acorn machines can use the network to
pass appropriate files (eg PDF) for printing via the other
computer if required. All this setup has been in place for a few
years but only 2 sets of colour and 3 black cartridges have been
used, and it still provides excellent colour or B+W print output.

About 4 months ago a faulty paper feed began and has resisted all
my attempts to clear it: when a multi-page document is sent to
print, page 1 prints normally but as soon as is has finished an
error is signalled 'Jam in tray 2'` (see page 103 of the manual).
Removing tray 2 shows a sheet of paper lying on the table or just
slightly into the intake slot. The paper is unmarked and can be
re-used. The printer then has to be OK-ed from its panel and then
re-initialises and calibrates itself - wasting several minutes.

Occasionally the first 2 pages (never more) print OK and the jam
occurs on the 3rd. Fortunately I have not recently needed to
print documents with many pages or multiple copies so I have been
putting up with the problem: now I am in better health I would
like to fix it.

Needless to say, I have tried various weights and types of paper
and everything related I can find in the manual (not much). I
would be eternally grateful if some guru here could suggest a
solution.

Thanks for reading this,

Brian.

Brian Carroll, Ripon, North Yorkshire, UK
Old August 22nd 13, 06:57 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Mike S.

In article ,
Brian Carroll wrote:
[...]

I'd search fixyourprinter.com for a matching situation/solution;.

(I have no relationship with this site but I'd used them in the past with
helpful results.)

Old August 23rd 13, 10:41 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brian Carroll

In article , Mike S.
wrote:

In article , Brian
Carroll wrote:
I have an HP Color LaserJet CP1515n printer, bought in Nov
09. It failed after a few months and was replaced under the
warranty.

[ ... ]

Needless to say, I have tried various weights and types of
paper and everything related I can find in the manual (not
much). I would be eternally grateful if some guru here could
suggest a solution.

I'd search fixyourprinter.com for a matching
situation/solution;.

(I have no relationship with this site but I'd used them in
the past with helpful results.)

Thanks for your suggestion. I had not heard of that site but on
a first viewing it does not look promising. I will keep at it.

Old August 24th 13, 12:26 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:41:19 AM UTC-7, Brian Carroll wrote:
[...]

I'm the moderator at fixyourownprinter. If you don't find an answer, you're always welcome to start a new topic.
Every laser printer HP has ever made uses a solenoid to release the pickup roller. To quieten the metal on metal sound when it actuates, they have always used this piece of foam which disintegrates into sticky goo and causes the release plate to stick. This allows the pickup roller to continuously turn and pick up papers til it jams. 20+ years and they have never improved it. Fixed thousands of them with this issue.
Old August 24th 13, 03:17 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

I'm the moderator at fixyourownprinter. If you don't find an answer,
you're always welcome
to start a new topic. Every laser printer HP has ever made uses a solenoid
to release the
pickup roller. To quieten the metal on metal sound when it actuates, they
have always used
this piece of foam which disintegrates into sticky goo and causes the
release plate to
stick. This allows the pickup roller to continuously turn and pick up
papers til it jams.
20+ years and they have never improved it. Fixed thousands of them with
this issue.

Interesting - Thanx !

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old August 25th 13, 06:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brian Carroll

In article
,
wrote:
I have an HP Color LaserJet CP1515n printer, bought in Nov
09. It failed after a few months and was replaced under the
warranty.

[ ... ]

I'm the moderator at fixyourownprinter. If you don't find an
answer, you're always welcome to start a new topic. Every
laser printer HP has ever made uses a solenoid to release the
pickup roller. To quieten the metal on metal sound when it
actuates, they have always used this piece of foam which
disintegrates into sticky goo and causes the release plate to
stick. This allows the pickup roller to continuously turn and
pick up papers til it jams. 20+ years and they have never
improved it. Fixed thousands of them with this issue.

Thanks for that very helpful reply. I will post here again when
I have attempted to identify and fix the defect. I may have to
come back to you for specific info on access, etc.