Canon Pixma MG3122 problem

Old July 20th 13, 06:07 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
KenK

Default Canon Pixma MG3122 problem

This printer tells me it's out of paper when there's planty. Yesterday it
had about 3/4" of paper and said out of paper. I added another 1/4" or so.
Same thing. So I took most of it away, leaving less than 1/4". Then it
worked.

Very annoying. It happens far too often.

Suggestions - besides yet another printer? I just junked a junky HP DJ
1000. sigh Getting expensive. What happened to the good printers like LJ
IIs and IIIs that lasted for decades?

Old July 20th 13, 08:16 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "KenK"

This printer tells me it's out of paper when there's planty. Yesterday it
had about 3/4" of paper and said out of paper. I added another 1/4" or so.
Same thing. So I took most of it away, leaving less than 1/4". Then it
worked.

Very annoying. It happens far too often.

Suggestions - besides yet another printer? I just junked a junky HP DJ
1000. sigh Getting expensive. What happened to the good printers like LJ
IIs and IIIs that lasted for decades?

Check the paper sensor. Could be as simple as a small bit of paper is
jamming its proper operation.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old July 20th 13, 10:38 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

KenK wrote:
This printer tells me it's out of paper when there's planty. Yesterday it
had about 3/4" of paper and said out of paper. I added another 1/4" or so.
Same thing. So I took most of it away, leaving less than 1/4". Then it
worked.

Very annoying. It happens far too often.

Suggestions - besides yet another printer? I just junked a junky HP DJ
1000. sigh Getting expensive. What happened to the good printers like LJ
IIs and IIIs that lasted for decades?

Most ink printers do not really have a paper out sensor. They use a sensor that
detects a paper jam and report it as paper out due to a time-out condition.
Likely cause is the paper is not being fed properly because of worn or
contaminated feed rollers, after a period of time the printer decides that
because no paper reached a certain point in the paper path then the paper is
out (in actual fact it is a "paper late" condition).
Cleaning the rollers could help if you can get at them easily.
Tony

Old July 21st 13, 05:04 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
KenK

Tony lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz wrote in
news
KenK wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reminder. The printer has a built-in feed roller cleaning
maintenance routine. I just successfully ran it. We will see. I belatedly
now seem to recall this helping in the past.

Old July 22nd 13, 05:14 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
jeff g.

On 07/21/2013 09:04 AM, KenK wrote:

The printer has a built-in feed roller cleaning
maintenance routine.

never seen that...
Old July 22nd 13, 06:46 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

"jeff g." wrote:
On 07/21/2013 09:04 AM, KenK wrote:

The printer has a built-in feed roller cleaning
maintenance routine.

never seen that...

A common facility with some printers, especially Canon, Not always perfect but
well worth trying.
Tony

Old July 22nd 13, 09:53 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
jeff g.

On 07/21/2013 10:46 PM, Tony wrote:
"jeff g." wrote:
On 07/21/2013 09:04 AM, KenK wrote:

The printer has a built-in feed roller cleaning
maintenance routine.

never seen that...

A common facility with some printers, especially Canon, Not always perfect but
well worth trying.
Tony

I have a Pixma that I think automagically does that - it has a routine
that runs about 5 minutes after start up, makes a racket, but didn't
know it cleaned its own rollers.
Old July 22nd 13, 10:29 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony

"jeff g." wrote:
On 07/21/2013 09:04 AM, KenK wrote:

The printer has a built-in feed roller cleaning
maintenance routine.

never seen that...

A common facility with some printers, especially Canon, Not always perfect
but
well worth trying.
Tony

I have a Pixma that I think automagically does that - it has a routine
that runs about 5 minutes after start up, makes a racket, but didn't
know it cleaned its own rollers.

That is a head cleaning routine. If you open the Maintenance section in Control
Panel you should find a "Bottom Plate Cleaning" option. I believe that attempts
to clean the paper path including the rollers.
Tony

Old July 23rd 13, 03:08 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
jeff g.

"jeff g." wrote:
On 07/21/2013 09:04 AM, KenK wrote:

The printer has a built-in feed roller cleaning
maintenance routine.

never seen that...

A common facility with some printers, especially Canon, Not always perfect
but
well worth trying.
Tony

I have a Pixma that I think automagically does that - it has a routine
that runs about 5 minutes after start up, makes a racket, but didn't
know it cleaned its own rollers.

That is a head cleaning routine. If you open the Maintenance section in Control
Panel you should find a "Bottom Plate Cleaning" option. I believe that attempts
to clean the paper path including the rollers.
Tony

I'll save this for future ref - I haven't had enough volume to worry
about it yet - not nearly enough.
Old July 23rd 13, 07:43 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug[_4_]

"jeff g." wrote:
On 07/21/2013 09:04 AM, KenK wrote:

The printer has a built-in feed roller cleaning
maintenance routine.

never seen that...

A common facility with some printers, especially Canon, Not always perfect
but
well worth trying.
Tony

I have a Pixma that I think automagically does that - it has a routine
that runs about 5 minutes after start up, makes a racket, but didn't
know it cleaned its own rollers.

That is a head cleaning routine. If you open the Maintenance section in Control
Panel you should find a "Bottom Plate Cleaning" option. I believe that attempts
to clean the paper path including the rollers.

Here in Japan the firmware may be different, not sure. But the
roller-cleaning is there on all my Pixma, the oldest I can confirm
right now is an MP450, but I think it was on the even older
MP360/370/375/390 as well as the MP170 I used to have.

One could use ordinary paper, but specialized roller cleaning paper with
a tacky side to collect as much gunk and hair and so forth from the
rollers is much better. Running that through a couple of times tends to
clean up things pretty well.
--
Gernot Hassenpflug