Help with Brother 1850 under Windows 7

Old February 26th 13, 12:03 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Michael J Davis[_2_]

Default Help with Brother 1850 under Windows 7

I have a Brother 1850 attached to a windows XP computer (until recently
under win98) that's worked fine on a network of XP Pro m/cs.

I recently added a Windows 7 machine, but cannot get that to recognise
the printer on the network.

Been onto the Brother site, which has various utilities that don't seem
to do much to help.

Any thoughts appreciated. At present work on the Win7 has to be ported
to a Win XP m/c and printed from there.

Ta!

Mike

--
Michael J Davis

Old July 24th 13, 04:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
CalBubba

On 2/26/2013 4:03 AM, Michael J Davis wrote:

I recently added a Windows 7 machine, but cannot get that to recognise
the printer on the network.

Been through this with my son's Canon printer and a new computer
running Windows 7. The problem is that the computer came
configured in 64-bit mode rather than the older, slower 32-bit
mode. In 64-bit, the computer won't see the printer. My son had
to buy a new printer.

It would have been childs' play for Microsoft to write a
normalization routine to take care of this. Both Microsoft and
the printer makers have issued us a hearty "screw you." My
solution for myself is, after using Microsoft products since
1984, to change to Linux. To hell with them and their games. But
you could re-load Windows and change it over to 32-bit running.
You'll lose some speed.

Bubba
Old July 24th 13, 06:53 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brian[_8_]

On 24/07/2013 16:18, CalBubba wrote:
It would have been childs' play for Microsoft to write a normalization
routine to take care of this. Both Microsoft and the printer makers have
issued us a hearty "screw you." My solution for myself is, after using
Microsoft products since 1984, to change to Linux. To hell with them and
their games. But you could re-load Windows and change it over to 32-bit
running. You'll lose some speed.

You also won't be able to utilise more than about 3.5Gb of memory with
the x32 version of windows.
Old July 24th 13, 07:29 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "CalBubba"

On 2/26/2013 4:03 AM, Michael J Davis wrote:

I recently added a Windows 7 machine, but cannot get that to recognise
the printer on the network.

Been through this with my son's Canon printer and a new computer running
Windows 7. The problem is that the computer came configured in 64-bit mode
rather than the older, slower 32-bit mode. In 64-bit, the computer won't
see the printer. My son had to buy a new printer.

It would have been childs' play for Microsoft to write a normalization
routine to take care of this. Both Microsoft and the printer makers have
issued us a hearty "screw you." My solution for myself is, after using
Microsoft products since 1984, to change to Linux. To hell with them and
their games. But you could re-load Windows and change it over to 32-bit
running. You'll lose some speed.

Bubba

Huh ?

32bit Windows is faster that 64bit Windows.

16bit Windows is faster that 32bit Windows

Using an OS that takes advantage of a larger CPU Register size increases
functionality but reduces performance.

Think of it as the number of wheels in a train. The more wheels, the more
friction that has to be overcome and the more energy it takes to move the
train.

I am very sure that two of you completely dissimilar problems with the OS
seeing a Brother printer.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old July 25th 13, 02:19 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
generic name

On 2013-07-24, Brian wrote:
On 24/07/2013 16:18, CalBubba wrote:
It would have been childs' play for Microsoft to write a normalization
routine to take care of this. Both Microsoft and the printer makers have
issued us a hearty "screw you." My solution for myself is, after using
Microsoft products since 1984, to change to Linux. To hell with them and
their games. But you could re-load Windows and change it over to 32-bit
running. You'll lose some speed.

You also won't be able to utilise more than about 3.5Gb of memory with
the x32 version of windows.

The Brother web site says that the win7 drivers are available for the
discontinued model in the windows 7 update (service pack?) even if it
wasn't available on the original dvd. Should be available on the
win7 with service pack iso that is available.....
Old July 25th 13, 03:05 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "generic name"

On 2013-07-24, Brian wrote:
On 24/07/2013 16:18, CalBubba wrote:
It would have been childs' play for Microsoft to write a normalization
routine to take care of this. Both Microsoft and the printer makers have
issued us a hearty "screw you." My solution for myself is, after using
Microsoft products since 1984, to change to Linux. To hell with them and
their games. But you could re-load Windows and change it over to 32-bit
running. You'll lose some speed.

You also won't be able to utilise more than about 3.5Gb of memory with
the x32 version of windows.

The Brother web site says that the win7 drivers are available for the
discontinued model in the windows 7 update (service pack?) even if it
wasn't available on the original dvd. Should be available on the
win7 with service pack iso that is available.....

No. When you go into "Add Printer" in Win7 or Win8 and you list the
available drivers and you see that it is NOT listed choose Windows Update
and the list of available drivers will be expanded and it will cover the
Brother 1850.

Printer drivers are NOT is OS Service Packs. OS Service Packs specifically
roll-up previous Security Updates and HotFixes and may add certain
functionalities or corrections only.

Example:
Yesterday I downloaded the Win8.1/32 Professional Preview ISO from
Microsoft. Using a spare hard disk I installed the Win8.1/32 Professional
Preview on the Dell Latitude D620 I am now composing this reply on. I have
an old HP 1100A LaserJet on a HP JetDirect. Newer OS support was dropped by
HP years ago. When I wanted to install the HP 1100 LaserJet on Win8.1 the
"HP 1100 LaserJet" was not listed. However I had it go out to Windows
Update. subsequentlythe Printer Driver list was expanded and when I
searched in the HP section it too was expanded and now included "HP 1100
LaserJet (MS)". I had it download the driver and voila, the HP LaserJet
1100A (I have had since 1999) was now working under Windows v8.1
Professional preview.

For those who want to "play" with Windows v8.1, 32bit, Professional
Preview...
English ISO
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=302162#

Product Key: NTTX3-RV7VB-T7X7F-WQYYY-9Y92F
{ Preview good until 1/1/2015 }

Reference:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...eview-download

Old July 25th 13, 12:53 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "David H. Lipman"

Typo Correction:
Win8.1/32 Preview good until 1/1/2014

Old July 25th 13, 03:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Michael J Davis[_2_]

CalBubba was inspired to say
On 2/26/2013 4:03 AM, Michael J Davis wrote:

I recently added a Windows 7 machine, but cannot get that to recognise
the printer on the network.

Been through this with my son's Canon printer and a new computer
running Windows 7. The problem is that the computer came configured in
64-bit mode rather than the older, slower 32-bit mode. In 64-bit, the
computer won't see the printer. My son had to buy a new printer.

It would have been childs' play for Microsoft to write a normalization
routine to take care of this. Both Microsoft and the printer makers
have issued us a hearty "screw you." My solution for myself is, after
using Microsoft products since 1984, to change to Linux. To hell with
them and their games. But you could re-load Windows and change it over
to 32-bit running. You'll lose some speed.

Thanks for your comments.

Actually, I've managed to get it to communicate under an XP virtual m/c,
but it's a bit of a nuisance. I cant get the old canon S9000 inkjet
which does run under Win 7-64 to work from the XP-Pro m/c over the
network.

Mike

--
Michael J Davis

Old July 25th 13, 03:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Michael J Davis[_2_]

David H. Lipman was inspired to say
From: "generic name"

On 2013-07-24, Brian wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I shall explore that and see what happens.

Printer drivers are NOT is OS Service Packs. OS Service Packs
specifically roll-up previous Security Updates and HotFixes and may add
certain functionalities or corrections only.

[snip]

Mike

--
Michael J Davis