Ivy Bridge i5-3570K without rdrand

Old June 17th 12, 10:05 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Mario Andretti

Default Ivy Bridge i5-3570K without rdrand

Installed i5-3570K into GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 mobo. I am not getting the
RDRAND feature!

The rdrand instruction results in "illegal opcode".

Looking at the feature vector of the cpuid instruction reveals rdrand as
absent.

$ cpuid
eax in eax ebx ecx edx
00000000 0000000d 756e6547 6c65746e 49656e69
00000001 000306a9 06100800 3f9ae3bf bfebfbff
^

Bit 30 (counting from zero) of ecx will indicate presence of rdrand
according to http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/appnote/241618.pdf.

Any ideas?
- Bad processor with disabled execution unit
- Bad microcode from mobo
- This particular processor does not have it?
Old June 17th 12, 06:14 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
VanguardLH[_2_]

Mario Andretti wrote:

Installed i5-3570K into GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 mobo. I am not getting the
RDRAND feature! The rdrand instruction results in "illegal opcode".
Looking at the feature vector of the cpuid instruction reveals rdrand
as absent.

Bit 30 (counting from zero) of ecx will indicate presence of rdrand
according to http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/appnote/241618.pdf.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www...ion-update.pdf
Errata (sheet 3 of 4), page 11
Number 54

The comment field is supposed to be clickable but didn't work for me, so
jump to page 31 for the "BV54" section.

No, I don't do assembly coding on IA-86/64 architecture nor do I have
this processor and mobo setup. I just Google around and hope the above
article addresses your concern. Yeah, I know your reaction will likely
be "farking Intel, farking Gigabyte, won't work together, I'm screwed".
Old June 17th 12, 09:16 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Mario Andretti

Am 17.06.2012 19:14, schrieb VanguardLH:

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www...ion-update.pdf
Errata (sheet 3 of 4), page 11
Number 54

This points to a processor erratum fixable by a BIOS workaround.
I have looked at Gigabyte, and, although not clearly visible, they do
have a fresher BIOS.
I was running f10c since about February, now they call it (just) f10.

This indeed fixed the problem!

Thanks for your help.
Old March 16th 13, 09:17 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

VanguardLH wrote:
Mario Andretti wrote:

Installed i5-3570K into GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 mobo. I am not getting the
RDRAND feature! The rdrand instruction results in "illegal opcode".
Looking at the feature vector of the cpuid instruction reveals rdrand
as absent.

Bit 30 (counting from zero) of ecx will indicate presence of rdrand
according to http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/appnote/241618.pdf.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www...ion-update.pdf
Errata (sheet 3 of 4), page 11
Number 54

The comment field is supposed to be clickable but didn't work for me, so
jump to page 31 for the "BV54" section.

Good catch, a fixable issue.

No, I don't do assembly coding on IA-86/64 architecture nor do I have
this processor and mobo setup. I just Google around and hope the above
article addresses your concern. Yeah, I know your reaction will likely
be "farking Intel, farking Gigabyte, won't work together, I'm screwed".

Ivy Bridge a bit disappointing Kulin Intel 2 February 22nd 14 04:25 AM
Fujitsu outs new Lifebook laptops and an Ivy Bridge-packing Ultrabook MummyChunk Homebuilt PC's 0 May 12th 12 05:03 AM
PCI to ISA bridge Fla General 5 April 27th 05 08:11 AM
NFS shares on "ivy" Frank Foss Storage & Hardrives 0 January 15th 05 04:29 AM
XP L3 Bridge Dave Overclocking AMD Processors 1 October 19th 03 06:44 AM