Mount IDE hard drive externally

Old February 20th 11, 04:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jon Danniken[_4_]

Default Mount IDE hard drive externally

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

Hmmmm. I cannot imagine why anyone would want to mount a fan on top of
a hard drive. If your drive is running too hot, get a better drive.
My present main computer has 5 internal hard drives, ranging from 400
GB to 1 TB, and two optical drives, and none are running hot.

I've been running a fan in front of my HDDs for the better part of a decade
now. Wouldn't dream of doing it otherwise.

Jon

Old February 20th 11, 07:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_13_]

In article , "Jon Danniken" wrote:
Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

Hmmmm. I cannot imagine why anyone would want to mount a fan on top of
a hard drive. If your drive is running too hot, get a better drive.
My present main computer has 5 internal hard drives, ranging from 400
GB to 1 TB, and two optical drives, and none are running hot.

I've been running a fan in front of my HDDs for the better part of a decade
now. Wouldn't dream of doing it otherwise.

Amen Brotha!!!!

heat kills
Old February 20th 11, 08:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,free.UseNet
John Doe

Charlie Hoffpauir invalid invalid.com wrote:

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 05:40:51 -0800 (PST), Mint
chocolatemint77581 yahoo.com wrote:

snip
HP really jammed stuff in this model.

I had to mount an external fan on top of the primary drive.

:-)

Andy

Hmmmm. I cannot imagine why anyone would want to mount a fan on
top of a hard drive.

Probably because you are clueless about the subject.

If your drive is running too hot, get a better drive.

You have no idea what "too hot" is.

Some modern cases, like mine, put an intake fan directly in front
of the hard drive rack.

From: Charlie Hoffpauir invalid invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Mount IDE hard drive externally
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 08:47:13 -0600

Old February 20th 11, 11:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

Hmmmm. I cannot imagine why anyone would want to mount a fan on top of
a hard drive. If your drive is running too hot, get a better drive.
My present main computer has 5 internal hard drives, ranging from 400
GB to 1 TB, and two optical drives, and none are running hot.

I've been running a fan in front of my HDDs for the better part of a decade
now. Wouldn't dream of doing it otherwise.

Amen Brotha!!!!

heat kills

Sure, heat does kill drives. But it takes quite a lot to really harm a
drive, and if your case has a decent design with a decent fan, you
should get plenty of cooling.

An example of what a drive will take: I have two Seagate Freeagent Pro
drives, one 1 TB and one 750 GB, connected to two DirecTV HD-DVRs. Now
the drives run 24 hours a day 365 days a year, each continuously
recording 2 separate channels.... additionally when I'm actually
"watching" TV, at least one of those drives is also reading the data
from the disk and sending it to the TV. these drives are totally
enclosed in a plastic case, just a bit larger than the actual drive.
with no fan and no noticable ventillation holes. Both have run this
way for over 2 years.
Old February 21st 11, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

On 20 Feb 2011 19:37:40 GMT, John Doe wrote:

Charlie Hoffpauir invalid invalid.com wrote:

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 05:40:51 -0800 (PST), Mint
chocolatemint77581 yahoo.com wrote:

snip
HP really jammed stuff in this model.

I had to mount an external fan on top of the primary drive.

:-)

Andy

Hmmmm. I cannot imagine why anyone would want to mount a fan on
top of a hard drive.

Probably because you are clueless about the subject.

If your drive is running too hot, get a better drive.

You have no idea what "too hot" is.

Actually, I do. My drive temperatures never exceed 40 deg C. I can
send you the report if you want to see it. It also shows how long the
drives have been "on" and their expected remaining life.

Some modern cases, like mine, put an intake fan directly in front
of the hard drive rack.

Yeah, and some case designers don't care how much noise their fans
make, either. I use an Antec Sonata (one case fan plus the PS fan),
but there are many quiet systems that don't overheat the components.

I say use that fan in front of your drives if you need it.... but I
really doubt if you do need it.
Old February 21st 11, 01:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Mint wrote:
I want to add a second hard drive to an older system.

Can I mount it externally if I can find a cable extension?
(It's too cramped inside the HP Pavillion.)

Thanks,
Andy

Sure ya can. Remember the PC had to be secured enough originally to
be shipped and we know how those boxes get treated when being shipped
around the country. I've got a couple of PC's with the hard drives
laying in the bottom. Like others I leave the side off and use a quiet
fan to cool the processor and a quiet power supply. I hate a computer
that sounds like a mini vacuum cleaner. If you happen to use an AM
radio tuned to a distant station near the computer you will probably get
some noise on the radio other wise use some common sense and you should
be just fine. Make sure the printed circuit board on the hard drive
isn't in contact with any metal.... go for it. You can also visit some
2nd hand stores and find an old mid tower case and move the stuff into
it. Some of those old computers were like a Chinese puzzle trying to
figure out how to open them and get to the various drives.
Old February 22nd 11, 12:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mint

On Feb 20, 9:25*am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

Hmmmm. I cannot imagine why anyone would want to mount a fan on top of
a hard drive. If your drive is running too hot, get a better drive.
My present main computer has 5 internal hard drives, ranging from 400
GB to 1 TB, and two optical drives, and none are running hot.

I've been running a fan in front of my HDDs for the better part of a decade
now. *Wouldn't dream of doing it otherwise.

Jon

You are like me, why waste something ?

With my setup, my H.D. temp is currently 25 degrees C, way cooler than
the 41 degrees that I typically
see.

Old February 24th 11, 11:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mint

On Feb 20, 9:06*am, Mike Easter wrote:
Mint wrote:
Mike Easter
Mint wrote:
I want to add a second hard drive to an older system.
Can I mount it externally if I can find a cable extension?
(It's too cramped inside the HP Pavillion.)
Which HP Pavilion?

I could not find the model.

It's fairly old.
It originally came with Windows ME.

Property * Value
Manufacturer * * * Asus
Model * * *A7V-VM
Version * *1.02

North Bridge * * * VIA KT133A Revision 03
South Bridge * * * VIA VT82C686 Revision 03

CPU * * * *AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
Cpu Socket Socket A (462)

I was actually more interested in the model number to determine the
case. Current Pavilions come in slim and full sized desktops.

The numerous different Pavilions which came with the Asus A7V-VM mobo
were various 7800 series and 500 series which had an empty 3.5" hdd bay
for your 2nd hdd and a removable drive cage to facilitate installation.
Some also had an empty 5.25 external.

--
Mike Easter

It has the empty hard drive bay, but you have to swivel out the power
supply to
install any hardware.

I don't think much was spent on the "hardware engineering" for that
model. :-)

Someone else suggested buying a 2nd hand case that is larger.

Dell's older case (10 yrs.) for the Optiplex are way bigger than most
I have seen now a days.

Andy

Old February 25th 11, 01:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

Mint wrote:
Mike Easter wrote:
Mint wrote:
Mike Easter

Which HP Pavilion?

I could not find the model.

It has the empty hard drive bay, but you have to swivel out the power
supply to install any hardware.

I don't think much was spent on the "hardware engineering" for that
model. :-)

Dell has a tool to show you how to find and use your service tag to
determine your model and system information
http://support.dell.com/support/topi...ls?servicetag=
or http://dell.to/gepq2k View the system information for a particular
service tag. - What is a Service Tag? | Find My Service Tag

.... in case you needed it for future reference or information.

--
Mike Easter