should I use triple-channel RAM with quad-core CPU?

Old February 12th 11, 03:41 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

Default should I use triple-channel RAM with quad-core CPU?

Nomen Nescio wrote:
About 5 years ago, I was working in a geophysical processing centre.
This involves lots of number crunching, and also lots of data
shifting. They were always trying out Intel versus AMD, different
chipsets and memory et cetera. There were both linux clusters and
graphics workstations that had to be the fastest. Now I recall one
of the IT testers saying for a dual-core CPU, you needed dual-channel
RAM, otherwise the memory bandwidth would drag you down.
Nowadays, we have 4,6, 8 cores. So then should triple-channel RAM
be mandatory?

More memory bandwidth is never a bad thing, nor is more memory, which is
possible with boards having extra RAM slots for the channel. Is it going to make
a huge or even noticeable difference? No. Will it make a *measurable*
difference? Probably.

I would call it "nice to have" rather than "mandatory."