I need another network connection

Old February 10th 11, 04:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

Default I need another network connection

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 23:10:36 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

OK here is the update.
I thought the router I had was a year old but tech support said the
one year warranty expired a year ago, which means the router is two
years old. I am going to check with my sister when she gets home. I
bought it when she subscribed to DSL. (it seems like only a year
since she did DSL) Anyway..................

It turns out the router is bad. The indicator light on port 2 stays
on all the time. The other 3 indicator lights will light when I plug
in a cable but regardless of what I do, port 2 light if frozen on.

When I called tech support the guy (with a heavy Indian accent) wanted
my SN and my email address. He was very nice and polite, but hard to
understand. I told him it was Kilowatt at charter.

He said OK sir........I have your email as kilowatt.........k as in
kilowatt.......i as in.........

It was kind of funny that he the word I gave him to verify the
spelling was correct.

That is kind of like saying...... Toaster...........that is t as in
toaster......o as in.......

Anyway, since the switch is two years old and bad, I guess I will be
waiting on the cat 5 cable to get here for the second network
connection.

Just one final test before I give up...............I should be able to
reset the router by plugging it in and pushing the reset button for 5
seconds. The instructions don't say whether the router should be
plugged in or not, but I tried it both ways. After the reset, I
should be able to type 192.168.1.1 with only one computer plugged into
port 1 and access the router.....that didn't happen. One more thing
before I toss the router is I am going to get another cat 5 patch cord
and try that.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks everyone
Old February 10th 11, 05:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

Metspitzer wrote:

It turns out the router is bad. The indicator light on port 2 stays
on all the time. The other 3 indicator lights will light when I plug
in a cable but regardless of what I do, port 2 light if frozen on.

If I have a router which is broken, I try to fix it by reflashing the
firmware.

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT54GS (Firmware
Upgrade Instructions) - Ver.7.2.08 - Download 1.68 MB - (Firmware)

Anyway, since the switch is two years old and bad, I guess I will be
waiting on the cat 5 cable to get here for the second network
connection.

Just one final test before I give up...............I should be able to
reset the router by plugging it in and pushing the reset button for 5
seconds. The instructions don't say whether the router should be
plugged in or not, but I tried it both ways. After the reset, I
should be able to type 192.168.1.1 with only one computer plugged into
port 1 and access the router.....that didn't happen. One more thing
before I toss the router is I am going to get another cat 5 patch cord
and try that.

Any more suggestions?

Ghostrecon said:

manually set the computer ip address to the correct subnet as the
router (192.168.2.?? or 192.168.1.??) type 192.168.?.1 in the address
bar of your browser - this should get you into the web interface

--
Mike Easter
Old February 10th 11, 05:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 16:25:08 +0000, Ghostrecon wrote:

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 23:10:36 -0500, Metspitzer wrote:

I have ordered the cat 5 cable to install another jack, but what I
would like to do until then is to use a spare linksys router as a
repeater.

I thought all I had to do was remove the working network connection
cable from the existing computer and plug it into port 1 of the
router. Then take another cable from port 2 and plug it into the
existing computer. This would give me ports 3 and 4 (from 4 total)
slots to use to plug another computer into.

Do I need to plug the existing feed into port 1 or plug it into the
LAN port?

Neither seem to work. I don't know how long to let it try to acquire
ip addresses.

Suggestions

You want to run it as a switch. do not connect your network cable to the
'internet port' of your linksys - connect it to 1 of the 4 lan ports. Dchp
on that router needs to be disabled (it will be handled by the

Yep. For this, I should be able to use any of the 1-4 ports and never
use the "Internet" port

router/swictch/modem whatever is currenly on the other end of the cable) to
disable it you need to connect the linksys to a computer(and not to
anything else), manually set the computer ip address to the correct subnet
as the router (192.168.2.?? or 192.168.1.??) type 192.168.?.1 in the
address bar of your browser - this should get you into the web interface to
shut down dchp (usually enabled by default) - at the same time you can set
the lan ip address of the router. Now co9nnect the exsisting cable to your
linsys and your computer to one of the lan ports and your computer should
now get an ip address from te original source(at the other end of the
cable)
Clear the manually set ip address in the computer and then connect

Old February 10th 11, 05:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 09:12:03 -0800, Mike Easter
wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:

It turns out the router is bad. The indicator light on port 2 stays
on all the time. The other 3 indicator lights will light when I plug
in a cable but regardless of what I do, port 2 light if frozen on.

If I have a router which is broken, I try to fix it by reflashing the
firmware.

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT54GS (Firmware
Upgrade Instructions) - Ver.7.2.08 - Download 1.68 MB - (Firmware)

Good suggestion. I am always afraid to do this, but in this case, I
have nothing to lose.

Thanks