I need another network connection

Old February 10th 11, 04:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

Default I need another network connection

I have ordered the cat 5 cable to install another jack, but what I
would like to do until then is to use a spare linksys router as a
repeater.

I thought all I had to do was remove the working network connection
cable from the existing computer and plug it into port 1 of the
router. Then take another cable from port 2 and plug it into the
existing computer. This would give me ports 3 and 4 (from 4 total)
slots to use to plug another computer into.

Do I need to plug the existing feed into port 1 or plug it into the
LAN port?

Neither seem to work. I don't know how long to let it try to acquire
ip addresses.

Suggestions
Old February 10th 11, 04:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

posted to achp-h only

Metspitzer wrote:

I thought all I had to do

Suggestions

You should start by assuming that no one who is reading here knows
anything about your current network; so you should describe carefully
just what you already have -- eg your network connectivity such as a
cable modem connected to a router - or whatever.

Then you should describe unambiguously what you are trying to do to
change your existing network, how you want to change it or expand it.

Puzzles are fun, but your puzzle isn't presented well yet.

--
Mike Easter
Old February 10th 11, 05:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Metspitzer wrote:
I have ordered the cat 5 cable to install another jack, but what I
would like to do until then is to use a spare linksys router as a
repeater.

I thought all I had to do was remove the working network connection
cable from the existing computer and plug it into port 1 of the
router. Then take another cable from port 2 and plug it into the
existing computer. This would give me ports 3 and 4 (from 4 total)
slots to use to plug another computer into.

Do I need to plug the existing feed into port 1 or plug it into the
LAN port?

Neither seem to work. I don't know how long to let it try to acquire
ip addresses.

Suggestions

Is this a "straight thru" versus "crossover" cable type issue ?

The connection from the WAN port on a router, can be different
than a LAN port. It's where I'd start looking. I only have one
crossover cable in the house, and the rest are straight thru.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mdix#MDIX

computer ----\/---- computer computer to computer,
----/\---- uses a crossover cable

computer ---------- router (LAN port) straight thru cable
----------

Auto-MDIX equipment can work with either cable
type, and support auto-negotiation. My two wired routers
are of that type. Gigabit (GbE) equipment supports auto-MDIX
be default. For others, you have to read the manual
and verify they're auto-MDIX. Otherwise, dig out a
crossover cable and give it a try.

As an example, I can connect one of my GbE equipped
computers, to a 10/100BT equipped computer, using a
straight-thru cable, because the GbE machine has
auto-MDIX. If I connect two 10/100BT computers directly
to one another, I need a crossover cable (unless they
explicitly state they do auto-MDIX).

You may also have details to work out, such as
what subnet each router uses. For example, in the house
here, I have a 192.168.1.x subnet, a 192.168.2.x subnet,
due to having multiple network boxes. You have to be
a little careful when setting those up. First, you have
to connect a computer and web browser to the first programmable
device, and define what addresses it serves via DHCP. Then connect
the second device, move the computer and browser to a LAN
port on the second box, and set it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

As well as keeping track of the admin password for each box,
what address it uses by default for web setup and so on...
Reading the manuals, planning addressing, and worrying about
details, can waste most of your day.

Paul
Old February 10th 11, 05:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 23:10:36 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

I have ordered the cat 5 cable to install another jack, but what I
would like to do until then is to use a spare linksys router as a
repeater.

Ok. I currently have a working network. One of the cat5 cables goes
to a room with 1 computer. I want to put another computer in the same
room.

I ordered cat 5 cable today, so this will last a week or so. I have a
spare Linksys router. I just want to use that router as a repeater so
I can use one incoming line and feed 2 computers.

WRT64GS v7.2 I dint' find the manual buy here is a close one.
http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/w...RT54G/download

I am also trying to follow these instructions but nothing interesting
happens.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2308651_use-...-repeater.html

I have unplugged the feed into the computer.
I have plugged a network cable from port 1 on the router to my
computer.
When I enter 192.168.0.1 nothing happens.
I also tried 192.168.1.1 nothing happens.
Old February 10th 11, 05:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Tester[_2_]

I don't know what model you have but it should have 4 ports + 1 port
labelled "Internet" If this is the case then you can plug your cables
into any of the 4 ports. The 5th port called "Internet" is where you
insert your ADSL/Broadband connection.

Generally everything should be dynamic so there is no configurations
required.

hth

Old February 10th 11, 07:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
MyNews

wrote:

I have ordered the cat 5 cable to install another jack, but what I
would like to do until then is to use a spare linksys router as a

I have unplugged the feed into the computer.
I have plugged a network cable from port 1 on the router to my
computer.
When I enter 192.168.0.1 nothing happens.
I also tried 192.168.1.1 nothing happens.

Chick Start
Chick My Network Places

Network Tasks
Chick on
Set up a home or small office network
Chick Next
Chick Next

Select
This computer connect to the Internet through a
residential gateway or through another
Computer on my networt.

Click Next

Give this computer a description and name.
Just Click Next
Net you network.

Workgroup name: MSHOME
Click Next

File and printer sharing
you pack the one you need
Click Next

Ready apply network settings.....
Click Next

Please wait......

Select

Just finish the wizard: I don't need to run the wizard on other computers.
Click Next
Click Finish

There now the When I enter 192.168.0.1 it will work!

--
http://mynews.ath.cx

Old February 10th 11, 07:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Pen

On 2/9/2011 11:10 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I have ordered the cat 5 cable to install another jack, but what I
would like to do until then is to use a spare linksys router as a
repeater.

I thought all I had to do was remove the working network connection
cable from the existing computer and plug it into port 1 of the
router. Then take another cable from port 2 and plug it into the
existing computer. This would give me ports 3 and 4 (from 4 total)
slots to use to plug another computer into.

Do I need to plug the existing feed into port 1 or plug it into the
LAN port?

Neither seem to work. I don't know how long to let it try to acquire
ip addresses.

Suggestions

To use a router as an access point you can follow these
simple directions from Linksys. They apply to any router.
The biggest error you've made so far is not turning off DHCP.
http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-Links...n-Access-Point
Old February 10th 11, 07:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
MyNews

"Pen" wrote in message
[...]

I running and you have to have DHCP on!

--
http://mynews.ath.cx

Old February 10th 11, 10:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

f/ups to achp-h

Metspitzer wrote:

Ok. I currently have a working network. One of the cat5 cables goes
to a room with 1 computer. I want to put another computer in the same
room.

I ordered cat 5 cable today, so this will last a week or so. I have a
spare Linksys router. I just want to use that router as a repeater so
I can use one incoming line and feed 2 computers.

WRT64GS v7.2 I dint' find the manual buy here is a close one.
http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/w...RT54G/download

You could use the router as a switch.

Here are some instructions.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2308635_use-router-switch.html How to Use a
Router as a Switch

I have a switch working in just that same layout as you describe. An
ethernet cable connects the switch to my router and the switch has 3
ethernet cables coming off of it, one of which is a wireless AP and the
other two go to computers.

--
Mike Easter
Old February 10th 11, 11:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

Metspitzer wrote:

I have unplugged the feed into the computer.
I have plugged a network cable from port 1 on the router to my
computer.
When I enter 192.168.0.1 nothing happens.
I also tried 192.168.1.1 nothing happens.

You should be able to get to the login with 192.168.1.1 or
http://192.168.1.1

That is; your computer is connected only to the router which is going to
become the switch, we'll call it WRT; I don't recognize the modelno you
mentioned earlier. You configure it to have an IP which is /not/ that of
the other router's gateway but in its range. You turn off DHCP and DNS.

If you can't access a cisco/linksys router at 192.168.1.1, maybe someone
has changed its IP and you should reset it to the defaults by pressing
its reset button for 5 seconds.

--
Mike Easter