Do they make mobos with an internal USB port?

Old February 9th 11, 10:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default Do they make mobos with an internal USB port?

Metspitzer wrote:

Here's one mobo with wifi:
http://usa.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=dFAMIWrZWGgB1GuJ

Wifi is still rare on the mobo. Adding USB ports is no longer a
problem. I guess 2 PCI slots may be all you would ever need. I
sure miss having more.

Besides wifi, the mobo that I referenced has 3 PCI slots. You'll want
to be using the PCI-e slots for video, anyway, so the PCI slots remain
open for other use (well, as long as the PCI-e card(s) don't block the
PCI slots).

I'm not recommending this mobo. Never used one. Just happened to be
one of several found in a Google search looking for mobos with wifi
and a brand that I like.
Old February 9th 11, 10:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Paul wrote:

PCI slots won't be around forever. Intel is planning on removing the
interface in the near future. It won't disappear immediately, because
the motherboard manufacturers have the option of using a PCI Express
to PCI bus bridge chip. But a year or two after that, they'll stop
including those. There might be some differences, between Intel and
AMD, as to how soon they phase out PCI. But being a "monkey see,
monkey do" industry, they'll both remove it eventually.

So enjoy the PCI slots you can still find. They're a dying breed.
Five years from now, no new motherboard will have them any more.

So in maybe another 6 years, and 6+ years since PCI-e appeared, PCI may
disappear. Okay, according to you, after a 12-year lifecycle, PCI
fades away maybe sometime around 2017. How long did it take for ISA to
fade away? That 1% market share for form factor is expected to
disappear sometime in 2012. Market share waned after the intro of
PCI-e v1 in 2003 but plummetted (yet still lingers) after PCI-e v2 was
introduced in 2007. ISA started back in 1984. Well, that gives ISA over
a 20-year lifespan with it still withering away. So how long will PCI
remain? PCI took off around 2003 so maybe it'll be around until 2023
and thereafter also withering away. Whether it survives another 6 or
12 years is still a pretty long remaining time.

Consumers toss away good hardware. They've been successfully trained
in the "newer is better" mantra needed to generate revenue. Business
schedule asset depreciation but a fully depreciated asset is not an
unusable asset. My opinion opposes yours. I don't believe PCI is
dying as soon as you indicate. PCI-e v2 (the critical version that
pushed accelerated adoption) hasn't been around for but ~3 years.

Maybe you need to turn your crystal ball around to get a clearer
picture. Or maybe mine has weak batteries. Forecasting and
statistics: one lies about what might be, the other lies about what is.
Only hindsight is a perfect science provided the documentation is
accurate.
Old February 12th 11, 05:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_13_]

In article , Paul wrote:
Metspitzer wrote:
On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 06:08:49 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:

A wireless network card and a sound card are two things that haven't
been replaced on the mobo yet.
Onboard sound has been available on mobos for well over a decade.
Unless there are special high-fidelity, analog, or other functional need
for a sound card, the onboard audio is likely all you need. In fact,
many sounds card are nothing more than what is on the motherboards.

An old SoundBlaster PCI Live 5.1 audio card:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Live%21_5.1_P
CI.JPG

An equivalent card today:
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggIma...180-005-07.jpg

The southbridge and codec chips on the mobo can do that, too, and maybe
more. It would be a waste of a card slot to add a sound card that
doesn't do anything better unless you really need a high-end sound card
for some special needs (or to stroke your ego to others in how you
overspent on audio).

Here's one mobo with wifi:
http://usa.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=dFAMIWrZWGgB1GuJ

Wifi is still rare on the mobo. Adding USB ports is no longer a
problem. I guess 2 PCI slots may be all you would ever need. I sure
miss having more.

PCI slots won't be around forever. Intel is planning on removing the
interface in the near future. It won't disappear immediately, because
the motherboard manufacturers have the option of using a PCI Express
to PCI bus bridge chip. But a year or two after that, they'll stop including
those. There might be some differences, between Intel and AMD, as to how
soon they phase out PCI. But being a "monkey see, monkey do" industry,
they'll both remove it eventually.

So enjoy the PCI slots you can still find. They're a dying breed. Five
years from now, no new motherboard will have them any more.

Paul

They have been saying that for 15 years now on serial and parallel ports yet
they seem to still be around.
Old February 13th 11, 12:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mark Lloyd[_3_]

DevilsPGD wrote:

[snip]

They have been saying that for 15 years now on serial and parallel ports
yet they seem to still be around.

They do? Sure, you can find them if they look, but most modern
motherboards are sold with neither, or at best just one of the two.

The last 2 MBs I bought each had 1 of each. They were headers, requiring
additional cables/brackets (not included).

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Why is it when we talk to God we're said to be praying, but when God
talks to us we're schizophrenic?" -- Lily Tomlin