Do they make mobos with an internal USB port?

Old February 9th 11, 04:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DevilsPGD[_4_]

Default Do they make mobos with an internal USB port?

In message Metspitzer
was claimed to have wrote:

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 16:50:36 -0600, Grinder
wrote:

On 2/8/2011 2:26 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I have a USB port that mounts in a 5.25 bay and plugs into a USB port.
Do any mobos come with an internal port (not the pins)?

Moot.

I will take it from the group the answer is no.

Using an adapter like this is a close second.

You might not even need it, many motherboards come with extra
slot-mounted USB ports, you can unscrew one of these and get a "free"
USB adapter out of the deal.

I've done this for a similar type of internal peripheral, plus I also
had my bluetooth adapter mounted internally.

In both cases I just cable-tied the cables internally to an appropriate
point on the case.

I also have a PCI card
that does USB, but they are getting stingy with PCI slots now a days.
You only get two spots most of the time. A wireless network card and
a sound card are two things that haven't been replaced on the mobo
yet.

They haven't?
Old February 9th 11, 12:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Metspitzer wrote:

A wireless network card and a sound card are two things that haven't
been replaced on the mobo yet.

Onboard sound has been available on mobos for well over a decade.
Unless there are special high-fidelity, analog, or other functional need
for a sound card, the onboard audio is likely all you need. In fact,
many sounds card are nothing more than what is on the motherboards.

An old SoundBlaster PCI Live 5.1 audio card:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...21_5.1_PCI.JPG

An equivalent card today:
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggIma...180-005-07.jpg

The southbridge and codec chips on the mobo can do that, too, and maybe
more. It would be a waste of a card slot to add a sound card that
doesn't do anything better unless you really need a high-end sound card
for some special needs (or to stroke your ego to others in how you
overspent on audio).

Here's one mobo with wifi:
http://usa.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=dFAMIWrZWGgB1GuJ
Old February 9th 11, 02:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_13_]

In article , DevilsPGD wrote:

wrote:

On 2/8/2011 2:26 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I have a USB port that mounts in a 5.25 bay and plugs into a USB port.
Do any mobos come with an internal port (not the pins)?

Moot.

I will take it from the group the answer is no.

Using an adapter like this is a close second.

You might not even need it, many motherboards come with extra
slot-mounted USB ports, you can unscrew one of these and get a "free"
USB adapter out of the deal.

Like this one, just remove the screws.
http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Belkin_F3U001.jpg

Old February 9th 11, 04:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 06:08:49 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

Wifi is still rare on the mobo. Adding USB ports is no longer a
problem. I guess 2 PCI slots may be all you would ever need. I sure
miss having more.
Old February 9th 11, 06:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Grinder

On 2/9/2011 10:42 AM, Metspitzer wrote:
On Wed, 9 Feb 2011 06:08:49 -0600, wrote:

Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

ATX Motherboards aren't hard to find.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...e=&srchInDesc=

Old February 9th 11, 06:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
wayneP

?If you're concerned about the lack of PCI slots, why waste a PCI slot on
Wi-Fi then? You can get a USB Wi-Fi adapters for $10 or less.

Old February 9th 11, 08:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DevilsPGD[_4_]

In message
(GMAN) was claimed to have wrote:

In article , DevilsPGD wrote:

wrote:

On 2/8/2011 2:26 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I have a USB port that mounts in a 5.25 bay and plugs into a USB port.
Do any mobos come with an internal port (not the pins)?

Moot.

I will take it from the group the answer is no.

Using an adapter like this is a close second.

You might not even need it, many motherboards come with extra
slot-mounted USB ports, you can unscrew one of these and get a "free"
USB adapter out of the deal.

Like this one, just remove the screws.
http://www.usbman.com/Guides/Belkin_F3U001.jpg

That's pretty much it, yup. Works great! I like the idea of the
product in the NewEgg link above, but it's not $10 more useful than
disassembling a USB slot adapter and cable-tying.
Old February 9th 11, 08:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DevilsPGD[_4_]

In message Metspitzer
was claimed to have wrote:

Wifi is still rare on the mobo. Adding USB ports is no longer a
problem. I guess 2 PCI slots may be all you would ever need. I sure
miss having more.

Wifi isn't that rare, although in fairness most of the implementations
I've seen just have wifi running off a USB adapter that's mounted on the
board (Asus P5W DH Deluxe, for example)
Old February 9th 11, 08:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mark Lloyd[_3_]

Metspitzer wrote:

[snip]

Wifi is still rare on the mobo. Adding USB ports is no longer a
problem. I guess 2 PCI slots may be all you would ever need. I sure
miss having more.

How about this one: http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-LGA1366-CrossFireX-
Motherboard-GA-X58A-
UD3R/dp/B0034CSTFY/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1297284594&sr =1-7

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"If I believed in a god, which I do not, I would like to communicate
with him on the same intellectual level. Therefore, I would have to
teach him a few things." -- Aaron Erwin
Old February 9th 11, 09:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Metspitzer wrote:

[...]

PCI slots won't be around forever. Intel is planning on removing the
interface in the near future. It won't disappear immediately, because
the motherboard manufacturers have the option of using a PCI Express
to PCI bus bridge chip. But a year or two after that, they'll stop including
those. There might be some differences, between Intel and AMD, as to how
soon they phase out PCI. But being a "monkey see, monkey do" industry,
they'll both remove it eventually.

So enjoy the PCI slots you can still find. They're a dying breed. Five
years from now, no new motherboard will have them any more.

Paul