Networking Canon MP780

Old May 14th 09, 02:46 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony Toews [MVP]

Default Networking Canon MP780

Folks

I'm trying to get network printing of this printer going for a friend of mine. I was
unable to get it going but then I'm not a printer driver expert. I tried the usual
sharing and such but just didn't work.

Doing some searchs through this newsgroup has some contradictory postings. Some
postnigs stated this printer can't be networked. Others said networking was easy.
However no posting that I could find mentioned any tricks to getting shared printing
working.

Any suggestions or useful URLs?

The Canon manuals do not mention networking other than in the context of the PSTN
(public switched telephone networking.)

And searching at groups google gives the following error message:
comp.periphs.printers
The archive for this group is currently unavailable.
We're sorry for the inconvenience. Please try again shortly.
sigh

I'm tempted to tell them to purchase a MFP with networking built in rather than
trying to p*** around.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Old May 14th 09, 10:12 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
IntergalacticExpandingPanda

On May 13, 6:46*pm, "Tony Toews [MVP]" wrote:
Folks

I'm trying to get network printing of this printer going for a friend of mine. *I was
unable to get it going but then I'm not a printer driver expert. *I tried the usual
sharing and such but just didn't work.

The printer can be shared, it's not an issue. My experience base is
the mp760 and mp830, but the mp760 shares the same roms and such with
the mp780.

There are no provisions for network scanning, or faxing. CD printing
is a bit of a hassle since you must print, go to printer, insert tray,
go to pc, press OK, go back to printer.

Sorry I don't have helpful advice, other than it's printer, you can
share it, no problem. Firewall issue is likely

You spoke of a printsharing solution, well
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...2497&A=buyUsed

You can find the mx850 for a reasonable price, which has Ethernet on
board, as well as
the mx700

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...nc.-_-28102258

But if it's a firewall issue, this won't do much good.

Old May 14th 09, 03:03 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Hi Tony,

From my research, it does appear this printer can be networked.

You didn't mention which OSs are involved, and which OS will be hosting
the printer.

Networking isn't my area either (I'm a Print & Imaging MVP, but my main
areas are color and digital print output) but perhaps this link below
can give you some help. It regards a Vista x64 system.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...fm/997881.html

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

Old May 14th 09, 04:01 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Rich/rerat

Tony,
In addition to installing the printer drivers (based upon each PC's OS) on
every PC this computer is "networked too. You need to do the following.
1. Make sure that the Printer is on.
2. Make sure that the PC that is connected to the PC is on.
3. Make sure the Printer and File Sharing is enabled on the Primary PC.
4. Under Printer & Faxes make sure that the printer there is set to Share.
5. On each PC that you want to share with this printer, install the
scanning, copying, faxing software that might be available for that model.
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...nloadDetailAct a. Then select the revelent OS.6. Then run the Add Printer wizard on each PC, by browsing and thenselecting the network printer listed in the wizard results. a. If on the Primary PC the printer can't be seen after thedrivers/software have been installed, you may want to check if you have afaulty USB cable attached to the printer and primary PC.7. If all goes as planned, with the Primary PC, then run the Add Printerwizard on each PC, after making sure that the Canon drivers and software areinstalled on each PC. And that File and Print Sharing is enabled on each PC.I prefer that they using the burn to movable media, the settings from one PCto another. Since it only takes a min or two for each PC.--Have a Good Day,Rich/rerat"Tony Toews [MVP]" wrote in messagenews:k8tm05hb0jmkcsdne977n6jctkp7jia2mf@4ax .com...FolksI'm trying to get network printing of this printer going for a friend ofmine. I wasunable to get it going but then I'm not a printer driver expert. I triedthe usualsharing and such but just didn't work.Doing some searchs through this newsgroup has some contradictory postings.Somepostnigs stated this printer can't be networked. Others said networking waseasy.However no posting that I could find mentioned any tricks to getting sharedprintingworking.Any suggestions or useful URLs?The Canon manuals do not mention networking other than in the context of thePSTN(public switched telephone networking.)And searching at groups google gives the following error message:comp.periphs.printersThe archive for this group is currently unavailable.We're sorry for the inconvenience. Please try again shortly.sighI'm tempted to tell them to purchase a MFP with networking built in ratherthantrying to p*** around.Tony--Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVPTony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htmTony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/Granite Fleet Manager http://www.granitefleet.com/

Old May 14th 09, 09:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony Toews [MVP]

"Rich/rerat" wrote:

4. Under Printer & Faxes make sure that the printer there is set to Share.

Hmm, that may have been the step I missed. If that is I should've known better.
smile

Thanks, Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Old May 14th 09, 09:49 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony Toews [MVP]

IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:

The printer can be shared, it's not an issue.

Thanks to all who replied. At least I know it's possible and I've likely done
something stupid. smile

Thanks, Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP

Canon MP780 Fax metspitzer Printers 2 February 16th 09 10:02 PM
help with Canon Pixma MP780 please? nickb Printers 1 August 19th 06 06:10 PM
Fax Software for Canon MP780 Ann Meffert Printers 10 August 24th 05 06:05 AM
Canon MP780 no DVD / CD printing in the U.S. Nickname Printers 1 February 13th 05 10:57 PM
Canon PIXMA MP780 Traveling Printers 0 November 17th 04 05:00 PM