Incredible shrinking cartridges

Old April 4th 09, 06:16 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Walter R.[_2_]

Default Incredible shrinking cartridges

My old HP printer, a deskjet 970, had 41 ml ink cartridges. Very nice.

I was about to buy a HP Officejet 6310, when I noticed that the cartridge
holds only 11 ml, the color cartridge 7 ml. I can't believe this. I thought
office models would have larger cartridges. This is ridiculous!

This speaks very poorly for HP. It looks like a rip-off.

Does anyone known of an HP or Canon AIO that has better ink cartridges than
this??

Thanks

--

Walter
www.rationality.net

Old April 5th 09, 07:45 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

"Walter R." wrote in message
:

My old HP printer, a deskjet 970, had 41 ml ink cartridges. Very nice.

I was about to buy a HP Officejet 6310, when I noticed that the cartridge
holds only 11 ml, the color cartridge 7 ml. I can't believe this. I thought
office models would have larger cartridges. This is ridiculous!

This speaks very poorly for HP. It looks like a rip-off.

Does anyone known of an HP or Canon AIO that has better ink cartridges than
this??

The ml capacity of the cartridges is only part of the story, as recent
printers have better pages per ml due to better print model and darker
inks. The Deskjet 6980 printer uses cartridges that give comparable
prints per cartridge as the Deskjet 970. In general you can find page
yield information for recent HP models at http://www.hp.com/go/pageyield

For all-in-one units the HP Officejet Pro series have generally higher
page yields than the lower end consumer models. See the Officejet Pro
L7500/L7600/L7700/L7800 series printers for examples. The standard
cartridges have comparable yields to the #45 cartridge from your 970,
while the XL versions of the cartridges have ~ 3X the yield (2450 pages
from the black cartridge, 1700 pages composite from the individual color
cartridges).

As an added benefit of the times the Officejet Pro series printers may
well cost significantly less than you paid for your Deskjet 970 a half
decade ago.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old April 5th 09, 11:27 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gel

On 5 Apr, 07:45, "Bob Headrick" wrote:
"Walter R." wrote in message

:

[...]

Part of printer manufacturers strategy is to ship new models with
small ink cartridges to achieve
a low selling price, but replacements will be normal capacity.
Old April 5th 09, 12:13 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
IntergalacticExpandingPanda

On Apr 4, 10:16*am, "Walter R." wrote:
My old HP printer, a deskjet 970, had 41 ml ink cartridges. Very nice.

I was about to buy a HP Officejet 6310, when I noticed that the cartridge
holds only 11 ml, the color cartridge 7 ml. I can't believe this. I thought
office models would have larger cartridges. This is ridiculous!

Keep in mind that you need to look at the page yield above raw
volume. HP has actually gotten MUCH better about getting more yield
per volume than Canon.

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/...300/index.html

HP 98 Black Inkjet Print Cartridge 420 standard pages $23.99 5.7c/
page

5.7c/page is on the high side of things.

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/...400/index.html

HP 564XL Black Ink Cartridge 800 standard pages
$22.99 2.8c/page

As Bob Headrick suggests the OfficeJet Pro series are actually more
geared for high volume users, as in larger volume & yield cartridges
at a lower price per page. I describe them as double the price but
triple the yield.

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/.../28-564XL.html

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...sku=CC335A#ABA

It looks like you can get the HP Officejet 6310 for $80 from
amazon.com.
The HP Photosmart Premium Fax All-in-One Printer CC335a is $255 from
the same source.
Difference of $175

For black it looks like it costs about $72.50 extra per 250 pages over
the CC335a. You'd make back the difference after about 6000 pages on
this model.

The Officejet pro L7500 costs $200 from amazon.com. The #88 black is
$35 with an estimated page yield of 2450 or 1.4c/page. Price
difference of $120 over the 6310 but you'd save $107.50 per 2500 pages
and would break even at about 3000 pages or so.

I'm not making a recommendation here, only pointing out the raw
prices. As a good rule of thumb if you find a unit for a very low
price the cost to operate could be high.

70

5.7c
2.8c

Old April 5th 09, 06:32 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 06:45:17 +0000, Bob Headrick wrote:

"Walter R." wrote in message
:

My old HP printer, a deskjet 970, had 41 ml ink cartridges. Very nice.

I was about to buy a HP Officejet 6310, when I noticed that the cartridge
holds only 11 ml, the color cartridge 7 ml. I can't believe this. I thought
office models would have larger cartridges. This is ridiculous!

This speaks very poorly for HP. It looks like a rip-off.

Does anyone known of an HP or Canon AIO that has better ink cartridges than
this??

The ml capacity of the cartridges is only part of the story, as recent
printers have better pages per ml due to better print model and darker
inks. The Deskjet 6980 printer uses cartridges that give comparable
prints per cartridge as the Deskjet 970. In general you can find page
yield information for recent HP models at http://www.hp.com/go/pageyield

And all of this corporate jargon is coming from a retired HP Employee that
really knows how to sing the party line.

Old April 5th 09, 09:15 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Frank

measekite wrote:

And all of this corporate jargon is coming from a retired HP Employee that
really knows how to sing the party line.

You are an idiot moron POS oem ink drinking loser!
Get lost asshole and don't bother coming back.
Old April 6th 09, 09:17 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

On Apr 5, 10:32*am, measekite wrote:

And all of this corporate jargon is coming from a retired HP Employee that
really knows how to sing the party line.

What's the party line?

Pay attention to the page yields.
Officejet Pro printers cost as much or less than consumer models
bought in 2000?
Current models offer better ml/page than older models (#45).

Could be a conspiracy but it's also true.

Old May 15th 09, 08:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
EnigmaSoar

I concur with those that believe the cartridges and/or their contents
are shrinking. I have had many HP printers over the years and I have
noted the less then gradual drop in the number of pages I'm getting from
each model. I now have an HP C5550 and it is the worst. I don't have
an exact count but it seems like I didn't get much more then 100 pages
before running out of ink. I replaced the 74 and 75 cartridges (that
shipped with the printer) when they ran out and had the same results
with the second set (74/75). Yesterday I bought 74XL and 75XL
cartridges (2 packs of each totalling $144) that claim to get 3X
(compared to 74 and 75). I was surprised to find that the 75XL
cartridge was exactly the same size as the 75 cartridge. That confirms
it. I just paid for a full cartridge as apposed to a 1/3 full
cartridge last time. I am very perturbed. The 74XL cartridge is about
30% bigger then then 74 cartridge (not 3x bigger). I believe we are
being ripped off in the name of profit margin.
http://tinyurl.com/onwyu2

|Filename: P5158769_smaller.JPG |
|Download: /attachment.php?attachmentid=27 |

Shrinking NTFS partition n o s p a m p l e a s e General 3 April 10th 05 04:16 AM
shrinking screen Skeleton Man General 5 March 20th 05 07:04 PM
Incredable shrinking ram salaryman General 5 November 7th 04 12:26 AM
Shrinking image G Packard Bell Computers 3 December 7th 03 07:30 PM
Shrinking image Michael DeAmelio Packard Bell Computers 6 December 4th 03 04:55 AM