amazon selling email addresses??

Old July 16th 08, 10:12 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Mike Scott

Default amazon selling email addresses??

I generally use a unique email address for vendor accounts, and amazon
is no exception. I also always mark accounts to the effect of 'no ad
emails, no passing on address' - you know the sort of thing.

I was surprised therefore when I received a spam email from Games Centre
Ltd addressed to the addy I use only for amazon. (I'd never before heard
of them btw). I can only assume the address had been improperly passed
to them; it's not a likely one to guess out of the blue.

I complained to amazon and the company hosting Games Centre. Amazon's
reply was less than helpful - it basically assured me they were
concerned about "the misappropriated use of our name" (what??) and that
their online credit transactions were all secure. I've repeated the
complaint.

Has anyone else had amazon pass on their email addy like this?

(Oh, the hosting company /was/ helpful - apparently clients are supposed
to use only directly signed-up addresses, not "acquired" lists of any
sort, legit or not, and they've knobbled the offender pending
investigation.)
Old July 16th 08, 10:30 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Palindrome

Mike Scott wrote:
[...]

I too use a unique address for each company/organisation that I contact.
Once I get spam on it, I black-list it.
No big deal - the company loses that direct marketing opportunity.

If I do need to do business with them again, I open a new account and
give them a new email address to use.

Similarly, I use a Cahoot Webcard for each distance selling transaction.

I've never bothered to complain as it doesn't have any significant
impact. It only takes a few seconds to add another address to the email
filter.

--
Sue

Old July 16th 08, 03:18 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Mark[_8_]

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:12:33 +0100, Mike Scott
wrote:

I generally use a unique email address for vendor accounts, and amazon
is no exception. I also always mark accounts to the effect of 'no ad
emails, no passing on address' - you know the sort of thing.

Me too.

I was surprised therefore when I received a spam email from Games Centre
Ltd addressed to the addy I use only for amazon. (I'd never before heard
of them btw). I can only assume the address had been improperly passed
to them; it's not a likely one to guess out of the blue.

All I can tell you is that I am not getting any spam directed at my
Amazon email address.

I complained to amazon and the company hosting Games Centre. Amazon's
reply was less than helpful - it basically assured me they were
concerned about "the misappropriated use of our name" (what??) and that
their online credit transactions were all secure. I've repeated the
complaint.

Has anyone else had amazon pass on their email addy like this?

It is possible that the spammer is generating random email addresses
which just happens to include yours.

IME Amazon is not good at reading complaints. The only two times I
have tried have not been successful.

See http://improve-usenet.org

Old July 16th 08, 06:21 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Mike Scott

Mark wrote:

Has anyone else had amazon pass on their email addy like this?

It is possible that the spammer is generating random email addresses
which just happens to include yours.

Very unlikely to hit exactly and only that one. (As I run my own
mailserver, I get to see all the junk, even the bounced stuff)

IME Amazon is not good at reading complaints. The only two times I
have tried have not been successful.

No, they missed the point totally; no call # provided either.
Old July 21st 08, 02:48 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
Cornelius J Rat[_2_]

If only I could remember which company nick3d@mydomain relates to...
Old August 5th 08, 07:19 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
lordy

On 2008-07-16, Mike Scott wrote:

I complained to amazon and the company hosting Games Centre. Amazon's
reply was less than helpful - it basically assured me they were
concerned about "the misappropriated use of our name" (what??) and that
their online credit transactions were all secure. I've repeated the
complaint.

You should pass that one on to The Register. Amazon concerned with
people using ' , surely worth a mention.

Lordy

"Use this text to hide the addresses when you send an email" - doesn't work [email protected] General 2 May 19th 07 09:47 PM
email extractor , site , solutions , email based marketing , email marketing solution , email extractor , newsletter software , mass email , e-mail marketing , email marketing solutions , bulk email software , web advertising , email marketing , mark Nuclear Incorporation. www.nuclear-inc.com UK Computer Vendors 0 April 5th 07 09:31 PM
DHCP Server Leasing Addresses to MAC Addresses of 00-00-00-00-00-00 nomorespameventhoughthejapanesespamgivesmeachuckle General 4 December 7th 06 05:24 AM
ip addresses Squibbly Homebuilt PC's 6 April 23rd 04 06:34 PM
Cookies and fake email addresses Kathy Tabb Gateway Computers 1 April 7th 04 12:47 AM