Pixma 1800 Faded Printing

Old April 4th 08, 07:27 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Default Pixma 1800 Faded Printing

Brand new out ofthe box Pixma 1800 is making faded color prints.
There is no white lines or breaks on print test.
Everything is just weak and faded.
Black is good and solid.
Colors are there just very faded.
Nothing in manual about this.
Paper thickness lever is proper to the left.
Any ideas?
Bad brand new cartridge?

Thnx
Old April 4th 08, 10:43 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On Apr 4, 1:37 pm, "Michael Grey" wrote:
Sounds like a bad original picture or monitor is off.

My monitor is plenty dark.
The phots show black backgrounds and all that.
I reduced the print size and printed thru Windows and it much looks
better but it's wallet size.
My camer may not have many pixels.
It's only 1 megapixel.

Old April 5th 08, 12:42 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

With all this talk of special inkjet papers, what kind of paper are you
using? Is it a coated paper for inkjet use? Also what settings are you
using for the drivers, draft, photo, what resolution?, etc.

There is a possibility of bad heads, or bad cartridges, but first make
sure you are using the right paper and driver setting before chasing
after other problems.

Art

Old April 5th 08, 06:19 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On Apr 5, 4:42 am, Arthur Entlich wrote:
With all this talk of special inkjet papers, what kind of paper are you
using?

I was just testing with plain paper.

Is it a coated paper for inkjet use?

No, but I didn't expect high gloss perfection.

Also what settings are you
using for the drivers, draft, photo, what resolution?, etc.

The printer's print program is very limited to red eye correction and
not much else.
No resolution or other settings.

There is a possibility of bad heads, or bad cartridges, but first make
sure you are using the right paper and driver setting before chasing
after other problems.

Art

Thanks.
I'm going to try a high resolution jpeg file and photo paper.
I get an ok picture on plain paper but it is thru Windows and not
printer software.
I hate wasting ink and paper on testing.
Like I said, when I printed a reduced picture thru Windows rather than
the Printer Photo program it was not faded.
The manual is not much help either.
Just says clean and align heads.
Black printing works fine.

Old April 5th 08, 07:39 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On Apr 4, 5:52 pm, measekite wrote:
Return it to the store.
Better to get a Canon Pro9000

I got this 1800 for $40 off Craigslist. It was unopened brand new.
Cartridges are about $35 alone.
I don't have the $250 for the P9000.

rote:Brand new out ofthe box Pixma 1800 is

Old April 6th 08, 07:24 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On Apr 5, 5:29 pm, measekite wrote:
Tony :On Apr 5, 4:42 am, Arthur wrote:With all this talk of special inkjet papers, what kind of paper are you using?I was just testing with plain paper.Generally printing photos on plain paper produces disappointing results,

measekite wrote:
What kind of idiot that makes believe he is a photographer would print
results on plain paper even if the person does a snapshot with a
pinhole camera.usually very pale.

Changing the driver settings won't help very much. You would be well
advised to buy a small amount of photo quality paper and try the
printer with that, making sure you use photo quality settings in the
application or driver. You may be very pleasantly surprised since this
printer can produce very high quality output. Tony MS MVP Printing/
Imaging

Smedly writes:
I didn't buy it considering the "photo paper only" possible aspect of
the printer. I didn't buy it strictly for printing photos.
I bought it for all around use. I didn't see anywhere in my reading
where it wouldn't be good for general color picture and color printer
use. If it is such then I'll have to deal with it and get a "color
printer" as opposed to a "photo printer."
I had an HP 960c that made quite nice color prints on plain paper and
very high quality prints on photo paper.
If the printer is only made for photo quality paper than that's my
hard luck as I bought it for all around color printing. If it takes
photo paper to get a deep color print th that is what i will use if
printing a flyer or such on the printer.
As I said, it makes a pretty decent print now in wallet size om plain
paper from a 1 megapixel photo file.

Old April 6th 08, 09:22 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

Smedly writes:
I didn't buy it considering the "photo paper only" possible aspect of
the printer. I didn't buy it strictly for printing photos.
I bought it for all around use. I didn't see anywhere in my reading
where it wouldn't be good for general color picture and color printer
use. If it is such then I'll have to deal with it and get a "color
printer" as opposed to a "photo printer."
I had an HP 960c that made quite nice color prints on plain paper and
very high quality prints on photo paper.
If the printer is only made for photo quality paper than that's my
hard luck as I bought it for all around color printing. If it takes
photo paper to get a deep color print th that is what i will use if
printing a flyer or such on the printer.
As I said, it makes a pretty decent print now in wallet size om plain
paper from a 1 megapixel photo file.

I wasn't implying that it is a Photo only printer, only that photos will be at
their best when using photo paper. It should produce good all round colour
output. Testing 1 megapixel photos on plain paper at anything larger than
default size (wallet or smaller) will not be great in my opinion. Any decent
photo printer should produce good non photo results (this is a decent printer)
but the original image is always going to be a limiting factor. Good luck in
your endeavours. I think someone suiggested you may have a colour cartridge
problem, well worth considering also.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging